Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 318694 times)

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes
« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
His phrasing on some of the songs (YTC, GoLo) is very Dylan-early-years. I certainly love it. As he gets more and more into singing, in my view, it adds a lot of depth. I'm sure, twm will like it. :-)

But there seems to be a lot guitar work too, compared to KTGC for example. And I wonder, if you wrote a song like "Brothers In Arms", what else can you do to take it to another level guitarwise?
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #706 on: July 29, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
...and just listen to the deep sounding and absolute cool rhythm guitar part on Don't Forget Your Hat...

I'm listening to that one with subwoofer-amplified headphones, and it's awesome.
Man, LE, I love your reviews of this album! They make me love the music even more.

Oh thanks! At least there is one who reads it.. . ;D  ;D

There is a lot of blues on the new album, yes. But it grooves SO HARD. That crazy rhythm section just beats me out of the room literally. I know now why Danny was rejected. Ian rocks! Danny rocks too, but in his own way, certainly not in the blues. It's hard to listen You Can't Beat a House even after just snippets of P-g. I can listen groovy blues like new ones all day long.

Radio City Serenade - oh, I sing it for two days now and can't help it. Same key as Stand Up Guy and similar feeling. But that a song! Ahhhh, it kills me. I want more!

Thanks a million for uploading snippets!

+1!! There's blues and there's blues, and this blues I like a lot! For example: EC, great guitarist that he is, his voice never really gave me the impression that he really is a blues man, while JJ Cale has it, and Mark really echoes some JJ stuff here. I don't think I Used To Could is the weakest track like written before, I love it. Repetition and monotony is an integral part of this kind of music, and MK really has had this in his music from day one (Southbound Again). So he hits it perfectly, I would not say he just copies things and has not composed a single note of it himself. Music is feeling over all!

LE

I do agree to a certain degree: to me EC follows a quite academic approach to the blues. There is everything in it that you might expect, but it lacks, hm how can I put it, soul perhaps? Don't want to sound disrespectful, I appreciate his talent and his playing!
Oh, and please give Howlin' Wolf a try, (early) John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and last but not least Blind Willie Johnson
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Love Expresso

« Reply #707 on: July 30, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
I will, thanks!!

Oh, and GoLo, I mean the short cut, is nice, as it cannot be GL... So one must get used to all these new song-abbrevations!

And I know now why I like these two mentioned songs so very much - for YTC I fully agree, but on GoLo, FOR ME, he sings pretty much MK usual style...
which I like! There's something nearly magic about this song, can't wait to hear the full version. What guitar did he use here, Les Paul probably? Or was it me who was thinking it could be the same guitar as in Behind With The Rent?  ::)

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #708 on: July 30, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
Here we have a deep impact on this album from the Dylan Tour: the Bluestracks. This new album is very american again.

But wasn't the album actualy written and mostly recorded before the Dylan tour?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #709 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
I think almost all of the album was written, recorded and mixed before the Dylan tour. But then another 3/4 of a year went on, MK had some more inspiration and songs and wanted to add some songs.  Just my 2 cents

Love Expresso

« Reply #710 on: July 30, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Yeah, interesting to know which songs were recorded after the tour apart from Haul Away.
The diary page number 5 is starting one day after the tour, and Kim Wilson seemed to have been at
British Grove when the Dylan tour was over. So maybe all the blues tracks were indeed recorded after Mark met Mr. Bob...

LE

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #711 on: July 30, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Mark had big fun playing the dylan songs on stage, so it is quite clear that he recorded the blues tracks after the tour to bring the energy from stage into an album.
but, indeed, there were more guitar soli on the dylan tracks played live, the guitar player of dylan, charlie saxton, was great, as he played the stuff very dirty and very load. so let

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #712 on: July 30, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »
i loved the maximum volume of dylan very much.

I really hope MK doesn't play with the high volume of the Dylan concerts, because I had to resort to earplugs!   Not good!   :disbelief
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #713 on: July 30, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I really don't hope MK will ever play as loud as Dylan did, my ears are still beeping from it. For the first time in my life I needed earplugs! Some more power ok, but it doesn't need to be that loud.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #714 on: July 30, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
Haha Val, great minds think alike  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #715 on: July 30, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
Haha Val, great minds think alike  ;)

:lol     :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #716 on: July 30, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
i like it  ;D

i must feel the stuff in stomach.

the Shangri La tour was nice in volume, the KTGC tour was far to low on volume, there were viewer that shoutet out "louder" in the arena. except the gig in strasbourg, this one was excellent in sound and volume (because of the perfect venue)

but nothing when i compare the gigs of dire straits, i will never forget the hurrican of PA at the concerts in munich olympic hall on the every street tour.

btw, the loudest concert of mark i ever visited was in stuttgart, killesberg, open air (1996, golden heart) -

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #717 on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
The louder it is doesn't make it better.  

I remember going to a Clapton concert some years ago and it was so loud, I couldn't actually hear the music, because my ears started buzzing and I was praying that the sound tech would turn the volume down.  I didn't have earplugs, so I sat with my fingers in my ears for the entire show.   Even so, I had ringing in my ears for days afterwards.  

Luckily, I was forewarned about Dylan and took earplugs with me.    To me that isn't good sound at all - there has to be a happy medium.    Also with regard to Dylan, I think there was a reason for the loudness - it concealed his terrible guitar-playing!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #718 on: July 30, 2012, 06:15:17 PM »
Not to mention his singing  ::)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #719 on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
And harmonica!   ::)   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 43 queries.