Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 318682 times)

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes
« Reply #675 on: July 28, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
My favorites are Gator Blood and Radio City Serenade. For now of course...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #676 on: July 28, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »

Ha Naif!   I have Radio City Serenade going around my head at this moment!   I love it!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #677 on: July 28, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
I am in a high mood since I listen to the snippets on a daily base and I knew this would happen of course - some people disagree. I find that rather amusing - I think it is a sign of (my) maturation that I just leave that to those and pity them a bit - I for my part have heard some of the best stuff MK has put out ever - I know it's a big word but there it is. It is the easiness just "to make some noise" - and not becoming obsessed with finding the right little flavour here and subtle detail there - instead of that he is just playing away - with a lot of "joie de vivre" - I wanted a blues record from MK since 20 years or so. Or maybe longer.

I always had problems with the very soft and very high voice on some of the recent albums - Monteleone, although great, was sung in such a mellow and weak way, same with Remembrance Day and Hard Shoulder - never liked it really, disturbed me a bit. I haven't found this singing style on the new songs which is great. His voice is excellent and outstanding on some songs. Go, Love, although only heard in parts, has the potential to become an all-time favourite for me, Yon Two Crows is really promising and sounds Dire Straitish and dramatic, and just listen to the deep sounding and absolute cool rhythm guitar part on Don't Forget Your Hat - the light and heartwarming loveliness of Miss You Blues - I could go on forever --- YES, I love it already now! The way he sings the first two lines of I Used To Could (...how he pronounces "train", or "winterkill" in Yon Two Crows, ... BRILLIANT!)
And so much more to discover. Seattle grows on me, Submariner also...  Is there really more one could ask for?

And suddenly I am into the lyrics, something that didn't work by just reading them. His voice and phrasing and interpretation makes me want to know more about it. It is always the same thing. Just discovered how wonderful the lyrics of Yon Two Crows are. For me, this is complete bliss! Maybe it's because I am a uncritical fanboy. But who cares. Being a fan of high quality stuff like this is nothing to feel ashamed of.

LE

Offlinerpfa

• Guitar George
« Reply #678 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »
 :)hi to hall....sorry if i don

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #679 on: July 28, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
Hmm... I think I will leave the snippets alone... I don't want to turn into a "complainer" nor do I want to get overly excited... I'll just wait until I can hear the whole thing.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #680 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:37 PM »

Ha Naif!   I have Radio City Serenade going around my head at this moment!   I love it!   :)
Hi Val! It's like a metroland theme isn't it? Maybe more melacnholic, romantic and deep. And Gator Blood has some powerful slide solo with high volume. I can't wait to listen the whole thing  :P After KTGC and partly GL this is awesome :) He came to Istanbul for a KTGC tour but this is the worst tour he ever did i think(still like a dream but...). so i really hope he can come again Istanbul for Privateering tour in 2013. Otherwise i have to cross the continent and spend a lot of money. I have to see him in 2013 :P
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:34:13 PM by naif »

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #681 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:27 PM »
Naif, it's not that expensive to come to Holland. A lot of my friends travel to Turkey pretty cheap. Checkout the flight to Amsterdam or Eindhoven. From Eindhoven it's about 1 1/4 hour by train, but the flights can be very cheap

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #682 on: July 28, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »
Naif, it's not that expensive to come to Holland. A lot of my friends travel to Turkey pretty cheap. Checkout the flight to Amsterdam or Eindhoven. From Eindhoven it's about 1 1/4 hour by train, but the flights can be very cheap
Yes ingrid i know we have a lot of dutch friends in Antalya. But you know if i fly to amsterdam it's not going to be a one day trip. I love to discover a lot of things like cultural food, buildings, historical places... in the other hand i'm a teacher and i don't know my 2013 lesson plan yet and will they do a summer school or something like that. When you have a boring, rutin life in 23 years old you can see tomorrow but one year after, i don't know yet. BUT i'm sure HMH must be perfect place to see MK and i'll do that yes. They can fire me :) In 2008 we had  open air gig with the 14.500 people in the bosphorus but the audience and Mark isn't good enough for each other.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 12:02:11 AM by naif »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #683 on: July 29, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »
I had a strange feeling listening the samples.

Up to now when Mark wrote musical stuff he turned the inspiration he got from into definitive "Mark Knopfler's" style. Even the buesy tunes he played by the past with Dire Straits were sounding like nothing else.

When he decided to make it the cover way that turned into the NHB, it was fun rendition.

For the first time yesterday I was bemused to listen some original MK stuff he absolutlely did not write a single note.
I like blues very much but oh my god what Mark is doing on this new album is just blues stuff already heard thousand of times, and here with absolutly no originality.

I appreciate this observation, it's how I feel about a lot of the Celtic tunes from Northumberland onwards...
But lack of originality can still be cool, it's rightly pointed out that Bob has been twisting Grooves and Melodies forever - ever watched the Wilbury DVD where Bob says to all the others, "..we should do one like this..." it turns into one of the songs on the record, and all those songs are great.
I'm also with golden heart in not listening too much - I know I'll buy it anyway - and I know my feelings will change from the initial listen to a year from that.
Mark does what he wants... As always!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #684 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
Now we have an even better place, just next to the Heineken Music Hall it's Ziggo Dome. Perfect sound and twice as big as HMH. 17.000 people. Wondering where MK will go to  :D

Love Expresso

« Reply #685 on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:38 AM »

I like blues very much but oh my god what Mark is doing on this new album is just blues stuff already heard thousand of times, and here with absolutly no originality.

Well, on 6 songs out of 20. There are a lot of great songs in typical MK manner - Miss You Blues, Go, Love, Yon Two Crows, Radio City Serenade and so on offer good MK stuff. If you would take the blues songs of Privateering, it still would be a classic album.. But Gator Blood is the coolest thing MK ever did..

LE

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #686 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »
Hello

i am new here in this forum, but an old MK follower, i met him 2 times in my life and it

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #687 on: July 29, 2012, 01:34:28 AM »
Hi brother, nice to have you on board and nice you put this review online.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #688 on: July 29, 2012, 02:18:58 AM »
Hi brother, nice to have you on board and nice you put this review online.
+1

OfflinePixelPerfect

• Local Hero
« Reply #689 on: July 29, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
...and just listen to the deep sounding and absolute cool rhythm guitar part on Don't Forget Your Hat...

I'm listening to that one with subwoofer-amplified headphones, and it's awesome.
Man, LE, I love your reviews of this album! They make me love the music even more.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.