Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 329783 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes
« Reply #555 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »
All of you who are disappointed, let me tell you that I know how it feels.

I have felt the same with every single solo album. Always and everytime there have been slow songs that seemed to go on forever. And now and then there came two or three bluesy/folksy full or semi "rockers".

But after all these years, let us (blues and rock and folk-fans) have our day. You can always put the KTGC album on repeat!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #556 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Go love... Oh boy, really need to listen the full length... :lol

But superb work MK delivers. Can say that already. And, best thing in life: one of the bluesbands I play don't want to play DS tunes. Well, now there's some real bluesy MK touch. ;)

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #557 on: July 27, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
Come on what do you want? If this is'nt a good album which album is good? He has done slow celtic-folk stuff enough for his style(ktgc and gl). + This album has all of it: celtic, folk, bluesy, rock maybe jazz... except heavy metal. Really what do you want?

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #558 on: July 27, 2012, 12:37:59 AM »
It that a clarinet on The Dream of the Drowned Submariner? Is it chris White? Or another Botti contribution...
I think Chris Botti contribution. Doc said that on his forum.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #559 on: July 27, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Is it just my iTunes or why does every song suddenly stop 10-15 seconds in?

edit: resolved....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:28:37 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #560 on: July 27, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »
Ive listened alot to the snippets and am really impressed.  In the last couple of years I've finally got into JJ Cale and Ry Cooder after 20 years of promising myself I would.  This album fits right into my current tastes.  My ears are bleeding after listening to 90 secs of Gator Blood 90 times with earphones at a tinitus inducing level.  Importantly for a MK album it still has haunting melodies, mixed inbetween all those luscious blues tracks. My only concern is an overuse of harmonica.  But as someone else said, lets hope MK and KW trade licks.

diddywahdiddy

« Reply #561 on: July 27, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »
I think the album sounds very promising, and I'd love to play it on a high-end hifi system. The production sounds a bit rougher or even more natural than previous albums, which I think is a great thing.

Love most of the compositions (Go, love is fantastic), but as much as I dig blues music, the blues songs feel the weakest. Mark's singing on those songs just doesn't sound very convincing. I guess it's a lack of intensity. And he even got his own version of Rolling and tumbling (Got to have something). Dylan influence?

I'm gonna enjoy this album for sure, except for one thing - Mark's slide guitar playing. He sure knows how to handle a guitar, but he ain't no Landreth or Cooder.

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Yeah, at times the clipped British accent seemed incongruous to the blues.

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
I've listened to the preview on iTunes.  Not a bad album.  Better dan Get Lucky. Redbud Tree is one of the weakest songs on it. But if it will be my favourite MK-album? I doubt. STP is still my favourite, because it has some very strong songs on it.  And I've that this album isn't as strong as STP.  But maybe my mind will change after hearing the full-lenght versions.

Regards,
Lars B.

Love Expresso

« Reply #564 on: July 27, 2012, 07:46:31 AM »
I have heard this earlier, and now I really want to ask (but in a friendly way  ;) ) : What's wrong with MK's slide guitar playing? I loved it when he did it on
Water of Love live and I loved in on Donegan's Gone and for what I heard now it is still wonderful - many forumers seem to think he isn't good at it? How comes? My slide god is not Landreth but Elmore James, and I think he COULD play...

Can't find it on iTunes anymore by the way, but it might be too early in the morning, will have another try...

LE

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #565 on: July 27, 2012, 08:37:54 AM »
My slide god is not Landreth but Elmore James

What about Derek Trucks and Duane Allman's slide guitarplaying?  :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #566 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »
Yeah, at times the clipped British accent seemed incongruous to the blues.

I'm sure you meant "clipped English accent" because it is impossible to have a clipped British accent, for obvious reasons.  In any case, being English born and bred myself, I have never thought of MK as having one - I know Americans, in particular, think he has, though.   Sometimes in the past he did a kind of mid-Atlantic drawl, but not so much these days, I'm pleased to say.  ;)

I understand your point, though - an Englishman singing the blues?    Well he has sung blues, of sorts, before and I loved it and I'm sure this time will be no different!  btw Eric Clapton does it with his own accent, why not MK?     :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:35:55 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #567 on: July 27, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Much, MUCH different than what he has done until now, from the DS days till Get Lucky

There are like 15 or 16 OTHER tracks that are not blues songs, and still you choose to pass? Go figure ...

Well, at least from what I heard, this is not really my cup of tea. I will listen to the whole album one way or another and decide if I buy it or not.

I completely respect Mark's choice for doing what HE wants with the musicians that HE wants but once again, AT LEAST FROM WHAT I HEARD, I didn't like it very much.

I'm not talking about looooong guitar solos (I don't miss the DS days that much) but I don't quite like Mark's "new" direction, period.

I love the Golden Heart / Sailing to Philadelphia / Kill to get crimson records, as well as the sublime duets album with Emmylou and loved the last tours with a fabulous band, despite repetitive (thus a bit boring
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:28:18 AM by NicoMK »

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #568 on: July 27, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
It's not on Itunes anymore?!  ???

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #569 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
I'm really happy with the new direction Mark takes.
I must admit that I'm a little fed up with the celtic tunes... When I heard Haul Away last I thought "Oh my god, still celtic !"
Miss you blues, bluebird and Gator Blood really seem to be beautiful blues songs.
I think Sonny Landreth should have played on this album !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 43 queries.