Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 329791 times)

Love Expresso

Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes
« Reply #540 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »
So nice melodies! Miss You Blues is circulating in my head now the whole afternoon...

Border Reiver, could you name some moments where Tim O'Brien is present?

LE

OfflineSpeedway23

• Guitar George
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »

"Dream of the Drowned Submariner" seems to be a masterpiece. Maybe Privateering's "So Far From THe Clyde"  :D

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »
Huh, what a nice surprise! So... After having a quick listen through all the snippets I think "Yon Two Crows" is my fav. The blues songs I find boring - but then, that's just a first impression.

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #543 on: July 26, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »
Huh, what a nice surprise! So... After having a quick listen through all the snippets I think "Yon Two Crows" is my fav. The blues songs I find boring - but then, that's just a first impression.

I find the blues songs boring too. They all sound generic.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #544 on: July 26, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Well,, now 1 week of all the MK stuff :o
Time for a vacation!
Thanks JeroenvG for helping me out with the songs, I can listen them now on my mp3 anytime I want!

See you later (ali)Gator!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #545 on: July 26, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »
So nice melodies! Miss You Blues is circulating in my head now the whole afternoon...

Border Reiver, could you name some moments where Tim O'Brien is present?

LE

Gonna take a deeper listen to nail it all but straight off the top of my head = After The Beanstalk, the mandolin part.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #546 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »
I couldn't resist and had a good listen to the snippets on iTunes. You all are going to hate me - but I'm deeply disappointed with the previews.  :disbelief

Of course, these are only snippets - but in one minute you can get a fairly good picture (after all it's nearly one third of the whole song in some cases, I guess... ;)). Too many similarities, not one single song that caught my interest. These "blues" songs all sound the same, like the 100th rehash of "You Can't Beat The House" - even the bass parts are similar. What happened to the melodies MK was cabable of wiriting? And of course the lyrics? And the guitar playing?

I'm no DS fan and think "Get Lucky" was Mark's best album for ages but this album really puts me off. Can't believe it is a double album because they obviously couldn't decide which of these songs to leave off. I couldn't have either, because they all sound too similar :P And if Mark wants Ian Thomas because he is said to be such a great drummer, why don't he let him play? He could have used drum samples and it would'nt cut a dash.

Something must be wrong with me and my taste - sorry.  ???

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #547 on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
I couldn't resist and had a good listen to the snippets on iTunes. You all are going to hate me - but I'm deeply disappointed with the previews.  :disbelief

Of course, these are only snippets - but in one minute you can get a fairly good picture (after all it's nearly one third of the whole song in some cases, I guess... ;)). Too many similarities, not one single song that caught my interest. These "blues" songs all sound the same, like the 100th rehash of "You Can't Beat The House" - even the bass parts are similar. What happened to the melodies MK was cabable of wiriting? And of course the lyrics? And the guitar playing?

I'm no DS fan and think "Get Lucky" was Mark's best album for ages but this album really puts me off. Can't believe it is a double album because they obviously couldn't decide which of these songs to leave off. I couldn't have either, because they all sound too similar :P And if Mark wants Ian Thomas because he is said to be such a great drummer, why don't he let him play? He could have used drum samples and it would'nt cut a dash.

Perhaps all the great, positive reviews on AMIT have given you high expectations. ???
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #548 on: July 26, 2012, 10:59:42 PM »

Nothing wrong with your taste. I feel the same way you do.

OfflineSpeedway23

• Guitar George
« Reply #549 on: July 26, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »

To my taste, the skippers blues tracks are at this stage :
- Don't Forget your Hat
- Hot or What
- I Used to Could
- Today is Okay
=> Too Similar

Miss you Blues is sweet, Got To Have Something is energetic, Gator Blood is really great and powerful and Blood and Water is rather atmospheric.

My favs of the album at this moment :
1) Dream of the Drowned Submariner
2) Privateering
3) Redbud Tree
4) Gator Blood
5) Kingdom of Gold (=> Before Gas and TV) and Corned Beef City

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #550 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:09 PM »
Hello all,
I do not post often here on AMIT but I read this forum almost on a daily basis... tonight I listen to the samles on iTunes, until now just CD1 but  I just have to say it  really sounds great!!! Go, love  and  Seattle favourites for now. What a nice and down the eath sound! It's gourgeous! Of course the blues songs are similar, that's because they're blues tunes...duh Stop complaining! This really is great stuff. On to CD2...   

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #551 on: July 26, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
Nice samples indeed. Sounds like some links back to the past towards future. There are quite some tunes reminding me of the A shot at glory soundtrack. Of course the bluesy songs are like (but more evolved) You can't beat the house. Nice! Can't wait. ;)

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #552 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:47 PM »
Superb value coming in for this album. Great to hear loads of Blues tracks that all manage to sound quite different. Loving it so far. Mar'k voice is just wonderful from what I've heard and the sound production is stunning. Can't wait for the release now.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #553 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:29 AM »
The sound is stunning indeed! Great production work, can't wait to hear it in the best quality available. CD2 favourites for now: Kingdom, Radio City and Dream of the drowned submariner. Just wonderful!

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
It that a clarinet on The Dream of the Drowned Submariner? Is it chris White? Or another Botti contribution...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 41 queries.