Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 330078 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
There's an old English ballad called "Three Ravens" but it is the Scottish version, "Twa Corbies", that is better known these days, I think. "Twa Corbies" means "Two Crows".  I know there are various versions, so there's no need to come back to me about these. Meanwhile, I offer these:

The Scottish song has a number of themes: the transcience of life; death and rebirth; the persistence of nature; and the fickleness of the human heart. There is even an element of "The King is dead. Long live the King!" Actually it is a knight who has died, not a king.  Two crows are discussing where they will eat tonight. One mentions this dead knight. His body had been protected by his hawk, his dog and his mistress but the hawk and the dog have gone off to seek other prey and his mistress has taken another lover. It ends with a comment that, when man is reduced to bones, the wind will still be blowing and will do so forever.

The English version is a bit more uplifting. A similar scenario but the three ravens do not get to feed on the knight's dead body. His hawks and hounds do protect his body and do stay loyal. As does his mistress (in the form of a pregnant deer) who comes to him, kisses his wounds, carries him away and buries him. Alas, the mistress herself then dies.

It will be interesting if MK has produced another variation on this basic storyline.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:36 AM »
"Yon" can indeed mean "over there". It is a shorter form of "yonder", as in "That tree yonder". The essential elements are that the object should be at a distance from you but can still be seen. In that sense, "yon", when used as an adjective (as I suspect it is in this song title) can simply mean "that" or "those". Here, since there are two crows, the title might mean just, "Those two crows"

Those for whom English is not a first language might like to know that it is not a word in common usage nowadays. It has a poetical feel to it, though it could be still in some local dialects. Since it is slightly archaic or old-fashioned, it is sometimes used to indicate the events being described took place in the past.

Again, it will be interesting to see how MK has used it.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:23:49 AM by twm »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »
I can imagine hanging out with and around Bob Dylan was probably a great inspiration to Mark, in terms of prolific songwriting.

I can't recall exactly, but did they have all of these songs in the can before the tour? How many sessions afterwards?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:36 AM »
I have previously commented on the theme of the song "Privateering" and suggested that it might be heard in the context of what has been happening in the financial and economic world in recent times.

If MK has indeed drawn on the ideas underlying the Scottish song "Twa Corbies", I'm wondering if he also might be drawing a similar parallel.

Just a thought and only time will tell.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
I do not know the extent to which hanging out with Dylan "inspired" Mark. My impression was that many of MK's songs were written before their tour together but I would be happy to be corrected on this.

Dylan also has a new album out this year. The title isn't known yet but it has 10 tracks and lasts 68 minutes. A couple of the tracks are quite long; one is over 14 minutes long (a song about the Titanic) and another is 9 minutes long (said to be like an old Scottish ballad in theme). If the latter rumour is true and if "Yon Two Crows" is linked to the Scottish folksong "Twa Corbies" in any way, then maybe there is something in Fletch's speculation.

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »
You don't think 'After the Bean Stalk' is a song about Jack do you who finds his true love after he buys his cow back with the gold coins he stole from the giant? Could make Romeo and Juliet sound tame!

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:28 AM »
You don't think 'After the Bean Stalk' is a song about Jack do you who finds his true love after he buys his cow back with the gold coins he stole from the giant? Could make Romeo and Juliet sound tame!

I like it!!! LOL

Cheers. BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
There is only one thing that looks true...

These are going to be the longest months ever...

About Salvador Design, I guess he might had been aproached for the box set as the cover is already made. Should we guess that we might get a little mini van without wheels and a litlle doggy?

;D

The choice of fonts for the cover is just awful, doesnt fit that black font with the cover.
So Long

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Patently waiting fot september and without great enthousiasm.

Since I heard some of the new songs live I fear let say a KTGC vol. 2&3 album like.

Privateering and Haul Away sounded a folky way that I'm not into, Corned Beef City was nice but more of a filler than a true gem.

And now this cover, so depressing.

Bad vibes, I pray that the remaining 17 other tracks will change my state of mind...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »
I like it, and I know I
So Long

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
I am the opposite of you, ds1984.  I really love "Privateering" and "Haul Away", but not very keen on "Corned Beef City".   I am looking forward with great excitement to this new album, but unlike you, I am a folk fan and I loved KTGC - still listen to it in fact!      I find the cover very interesting - there is more to it than meets the eye, I think.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
I am the opposite of you, ds1984.  I really love "Privateering" and "Haul Away", but not very keen on "Corned Beef City".   I am looking forward with great excitement to this new album, but unlike you, I am a folk fan and I loved KTGC - still listen to it in fact!      I find the cover very interesting - there is more to it than meets the eye, I think.   :)

I agree 100%, actually I was quite sure that Corned beef city was a clear candidate to be aout from the record when I thought It was a one cd record. Privateering and Haul away, I think they are both examples of the style of the new record.

I understood the cover comment and edited my previous post  ;D
So Long

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Love Expresso

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
TK still in bed obviously

About the strange song title "I Used To Could", where Superval also was thinking about, I found this:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000227.html

Seems to be a Texas slang thing... Might be helpful!

LE

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
20 songs from our Man! Ah, so great!

Silvertown

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 40 queries.