Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING 'SPOILER' itunes  (Read 329954 times)

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
Re: MARK KNOPFLER - NEW ALBUM PRIVATEERING
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »
Amazon.de in Germany says Privateering will be released on September 11th... Huh??

LE

Released or Imported? The same for amazon.com. It looks like the CD with ASIN: B0086449YA is a UK local release.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
Ustas, you usually have acces to some leaks from Universal Russia, do you heard anything?
So Long

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
Ustas, you usually have acces to some leaks from Universal Russia, do you heard anything?

I never had any access to any "leaks" from UM Russia. Early the detailed releases schedule was available for all visitors. This page was deleted several years ago. Meanwhile some European UM websites have the "releaseplan" pages and they are linked from index:

Denmark
http://www.universal.dk/releaseplan

Norway
http://www.universalmusic.no/Releaseplan/

Poland
http://www.universalmusic.pl/plan

Also there is a "future releases" page at German UM website but this page is "hidden" and I lost the web address.

The US schedule (including Warner Bros. / Rhino) could be found at http://www.newmusictipsheet.com/

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »
Oh, I was wrong then, I thought you had some contacts... Thanks for the explanation.

There is nothing about MK release in any of that sites yet.
So Long

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

There is nothing about MK release in any of that sites yet.

it's expected to be provided within next 2-3 weeks.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
At least MK news didn't release the last album early on the internet. Oops.

Not, it was a "mistake" by the canadians that are in charge of www.markknopfler.com, nothing to do with MKnews...

And honestly, I hope they do it again  ;D

If only the person in charge of the archives at Mercury could do the same : demos, outtakes, unreleased live recordings....

And an effing official live DVD.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
one day when MK is old and knackered and his record company want to milk his name Im sure we will get some extra stuff. Until then I want new MK stuff.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2012, 05:14:28 AM »
one day when MK is old and knackered and his record company want to milk his name Im sure we will get some extra stuff. Until then I want new MK stuff.
+1.   :lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »

But until then I'm old and knackered, too! I want it all, and I want it NOW!   ;D :disbelief

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
Three years between albums should mean room for some old goodies as well. Like Dylan and Springsteen do, for example. But MK wants to be in control of all such stuff I guess, so no time.

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
Three years between albums should mean room for some old goodies as well. Like Dylan and Springsteen do, for example. But MK wants to be in control of all such stuff I guess, so no time.

The differences between Dylan/Springsteen to MK is that they are icons with an insane number of fans, which in the end will make money for the record company whatever they release. I don't think that MK has made any larger amounts of money since STP (beside DS money).

It would be interesting to look into a parallel universe where DS never disbanded. Just for fun.  :)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
There is an interesting interview from a couple of years ago where MK talks about money and that he doesn't want or need any more. He said something like "what would I do with it? buy a yacht?". I think Mk is mindful about the cost of cds, tickets ets to his fans. I am sure he could easily make more
money if he wanted to. It would be interesting though to see the difference in album sales if all his solo stuff was labelled DS.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
There is an interesting interview from a couple of years ago where MK talks about money and that he doesn't want or need any more. He said something like "what would I do with it? buy a yacht?". I think Mk is mindful about the cost of cds, tickets ets to his fans. I am sure he could easily make more
money if he wanted to. It would be interesting though to see the difference in album sales if all his solo stuff was labelled DS.

He could donate all the profit to the charities he is patron of if making money bothers him so much! :)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #283 on: June 16, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
The thing is that MK has made and continues to make enough money that he no longer has to make decisions based on money-making criteria. That is not to say that he is not interested in the success, financially or otherwise, of what he does currently but it does mean that he can do what just he wants to do and just when he wants to do it, that the financial considerations are not the prime motivator. There may be pressures from his recording company and so on but I suggest that these weigh less heavily these days.

My conclusion is that the songs he is writing now and the sorts of albums he is making are simply what he wants to do now - but that may change. Indeed, I would hope that it does change.

My concern is that many AMITers hark back to the DS days, seen almost as a golden era. Take it from someone who knows (I am a Dylan fan after all), get over it.  That person, that MK, has moved on. Enjoy the music for what it was then and for what it means to you now. Enjoy it for it meant to you then and for its ability to take you back to your younger days but always remember, nobody can go back in time.

Who knows, maybe MK will reform a version of DS at some future point in time (maybe not) but, if he did and even if the music sounded exactly the same as it did back then, it would not be the same. Both you and the musicians would have changed. You would be different people. In my view, it would all be rather sad. At least you get an MK who does play DS songs with something that, to some degree, at least approximates a DS sound (to my "illiterate" ears, anyway).  

If you have followed Bob Dylan over a long period  of time as I have (and I first saw him live in 1965), change is about the only thing you can depend - and rightly so - and often the changes have been very abrupt.  It is as though, when he makes a step change, he takes ona wholly different personality. He has chopped and changed his style, his demeanour, his outlook, his frame of reference and so many other aspects of his perfomances, so many times, that just keeping up has not always been easy. Each time, you either accept it or you don't. MK's musical development has been a touch slower in pace, more controlled one could say, more considered and deliberate perhaps, a steadier evolution from what he was to what he is now. In that sense, he moves on but still retains some attachment to what has gone before. Enjoy it for what it is.

For me, with a few exceptions, I can't even tell you which of MK's songs, as performed live, come from the DS days and which from his post-DS days and that's a very good thing. It means his doing he's job properly. I have to admit that I can't readily tell you which song comes from which album. I just enjoy, them or not, as I sit and listen - or stand and listen.    

If MK chose to do his next tour (should I get to attend any shows) made up entirely or substantially of songs from the new album, I wouldn't be listing the old songs that I wished he had played. I would trying to get into the new songs, as best I am able, given I don't have the same level of keeness that most of you have.

In the words of our American cousins, get with the programme.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:52:30 PM by twm »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #284 on: June 16, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
Said it before and I'll say it again, I prefer the solo stuff.  Can yo imagine being a fan of saying Status Quo, heating the same songs every tour?  It's bad enough with mk and he does mostly solo stuff now.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 40 queries.