Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: This song made my day ...  (Read 5640 times)

Jackal

This song made my day ...
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
Hi guys and gals,

I'd like to start a thread where we share songs that we hear just by accident and that you immediately fall in love with.

I'll start off with this one. I started listening to Leo Kottke yesterday! Seriously. Which planet have I been living on??? What a player! Kind of like Tommy Emmanuel, but Leo touches me on a deeper level. Have heard many of his songs now, but this one I found particulary nice. Emmylou Harris singing background vocals:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:53:09 PM by Jackal »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: This song made my day ...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:41:13 AM »
Yeah man, that was cool, great country blues vibe.
I rate Tommy as the most capable/technical guitarist on the planet (notwithstanding all the YouTube wizards these days) but I don't know anyone that actually 'listens' to his music. He's more, someone you watch and are dazzled/entertained by. A shame really, I'd love Tommy to have just one classic song he could be remembered for.
Even Jerry Reed has 'Guitar Man' - Chet has the Neck and Neck album, lol!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Jackal

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
Tommy does indeed refer to himself as an entertainer, and in that area he is unbeatable. Just amazing to see one man fill fairly big concert halls and entertain a large audience alone on a guitar and with such a confidence. Respect. But when the razzmatazz eventually wears off, then that was that.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »
There is a song that always put me up...

And it NEVER fails.

So Long

Jackal

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
Jbaent, nice tune. I'm not familiar with Ryan Adams, so that was new for me. Must check out more of his stuff.

Here's a tune from Ry Cooder's Chavez Ravine album that does something special for me. He doesn't sing on it, and it's in Spanish, which I don't know, but still it's amazing.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
Hi guys and gals,

I'd like to start a thread where we share songs that we hear just by accident and that you immediately fall in love with.

I'll start off with this one. I started listening to Leo Kottke yesterday! Seriously. Which planet have I been living on??? What a player! Kind of like Tommy Emmanuel, but Leo touches me on a deeper level. Have heard many of his songs now, but this one I found particulary nice. Emmylou Harris singing background vocals:

as much as i like the original Version of this song,I didn't much care for this version, the rolling beat behind it is not to my liking (emmylou's sing IS) but boy yes, in which world have you been living, Leo so effing rules.....YouTube the man and be astounded. He and mark also have great respect for each other, and have met on the last tour (see guy's diary)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Jackal

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:45:48 PM »
Don't know the original. I don't think this song is the greatest thing I've ever heard. Pretty basic as such, but sometimes a song for no particular reason strikes you as particularly nice.

As for Mark meeting Leo - I searched Guy's site (Google Custom Search) and found only your questions and comments in the forum. Nothing in the diary. Help?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
it was a comment on tim o'briens diary, sorry, and i believe it was the 2008 tour...or was it 2010.
leo rules, what have you tried till now?

Jackal

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:23 AM »
I've listened to the "6 and 12 guitar" and "My Feet Are Smiling" albums and also various playlists and shows on YouTube. I think this show was very good:

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »
I have four Leo Kottke CDs: One Guitar, No Vocals; Pecuiaroso; My Father's Face; Live. I got them from a musicbiz contact who thought I might like them. I did then and still do. The guitar playing is excellent and they're all a fine listen.

Some of the liner notes are entertaining, too. For example, the story about Pee Wee Russell going back to his estranged wife. She worked in a club and hid when he first returned. Another waitress told her she ought to go to him, adding, "Even His Feet Look Sad" - which is the title of the track.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
I've listened to the "6 and 12 guitar" and "My Feet Are Smiling" albums and also various playlists and shows on YouTube. I think this show was very good:

got that video, and many others. i will buy any kottke cd and download any live rec. offered. what you cannot hear on the official cd's are his hilarious stories  between songs.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
He's been on National Public Radio's "Prairie Home Companion" and you can hear that in Britain sometimes. Again, it's that music and humour thing.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
The other guitar player in our band has been having lessons, and came to rehearsal the other day playing Jiffy Jam by Jerry Reed - check it out, I'm having to play catch up on this one and I'm the finger picker!!!!
A great workout for the fingerpicking.

It also led me to watching Chet playing Mr Sandman on ou tube from 1954 - incredible! It's no wonder Mark is so humble about his skills when you look at the heritage of fingerpicking.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:35:08 AM »
Heard by accident? Yes. Fell in love with? Well, I'm not so sure about that.  :lol

"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Jackal

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
Heard by accident? Yes. Fell in love with? Well, I'm not so sure about that.  :lol

The lab results came back - it IS crap.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 51 queries.