Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Kitty Aldridge, the writter. And some words about MK bike accident  (Read 24942 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I just came across this old article about Kitty Adridge, MK
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Kitty Aldridge, the writter. And some words about MK bike accident
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Hi jbaent!   When I was at Hay-on-Wye in 2007 Kitty was interviewed by Mariella Frostrup and she explained to us about her difficulties with reading and writing and about the ITA system.  She was promoting her book "Cryers Hill" and told us that she gave up acting to be with the children and to write her books.   It was a really interesting interview and Kitty was very eloquent and open about her difficulties with reading, etc.   She seemed to me a really lovely person and very beautiful too.

It was a very memorable occasion for more than one reason. We were seated on the front row and just two or three seats to our left sat Mark and Isabella!   Kitty signed her book for me and allowed my husband to take our photo.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:43:37 AM »
I never know what you folks know or don't know. So....

Mariella Frostrup was the publicity person at MK's record company's London office about 20 years ago. Somewhere, I have a photocopy of a press release she wrote about INFIDELS.

They got back a long way, maybe earlier than I've indicated.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
Very curious that Mariella Fostrup was working for MK management or record company and later she made a name by herself...

About the Kitty Aldridge books. I saw in amazon that are pretty cheaps. Are they any good? I

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
There had been a short article in THE SUN for 13 June 1983, headlined "Dylan Disc In Dire Straits". It suggested that there been a disagreement between Dylan and Mark, that Mark had walked out to tour with Dire Straits and thatr Dylan was miffed, especially as this project was running late.

In response, Phonogram issued the press release I mentioned. It said that Dylan had approached Mark in January 1983and that Mark's management had cleared some space in his diary by moving seven Dutch dates planned for early May to early June. There was a contract between Dylan and Mark specifying the dates Mark was available and allowing Dylan to take on anyone else if he wanted. It also says that the album was recorded between 11 April and 8 May, that Mark had finished his contribution as required and that Dylan was currently mixing the album in New York.

The contact at the Phonogram Press Office was Mariella Frostrup. I didn't get this information until 25 June. I now wish that I had called her.

Subsequently, Mark was interviewed in a French magazine or on French radio and said he was unhappy with the additional mixing done on the album. It is clear that mark had played the interviewer recordings of his own mix for the album.  I can't find the specific source of this information.

Can someone here help with the details of this? 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
Hi jbaent!    I have only read "Cryers Hill" and I enjoyed it very much, but, I agree, Kitty does have a style of writing which is unique to her and it may be more difficult to follow if English isn't your first language, especially as there is some dialect to understand.  Please don't let me put you off, though, because I think your English is pretty good.   

I notice that she has just had another book published - her third, "A Trick I Learned From Dead Men", about a funeral business!  I'll probably buy when it comes out in paperback!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »
Hi jbaent!    I have only read "Cryers Hill" and I enjoyed it very much, but, I agree, Kitty does have a style of writing which is unique to her and it may be more difficult to follow if English isn't your first language, especially as there is some dialect to understand.  Please don't let me put you off, though, because I think your English is pretty good.   

I notice that she has just had another book published - her third, "A Trick I Learned From Dead Men", about a funeral business!  I'll probably buy when it comes out in paperback!    :)

Thanks Superval99

None of his books are translated to spanish, so if I want to read anything from her, I should buy the english books. I read some bad comments about "Pop", his first book, and some good ones about the second one, but I

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
There had been a short article in THE SUN for 13 June 1983, headlined "Dylan Disc In Dire Straits". It suggested that there been a disagreement between Dylan and Mark, that Mark had walked out to tour with Dire Straits and thatr Dylan was miffed, especially as this project was running late.

In response, Phonogram issued the press release I mentioned. It said that Dylan had approached Mark in January 1983and that Mark's management had cleared some space in his diary by moving seven Dutch dates planned for early May to early June. There was a contract between Dylan and Mark specifying the dates Mark was available and allowing Dylan to take on anyone else if he wanted. It also says that the album was recorded between 11 April and 8 May, that Mark had finished his contribution as required and that Dylan was currently mixing the album in New York.

The contact at the Phonogram Press Office was Mariella Frostrup. I didn't get this information until 25 June. I now wish that I had called her.

Subsequently, Mark was interviewed in a French magazine or on French radio and said he was unhappy with the additional mixing done on the album. It is clear that mark had played the interviewer recordings of his own mix for the album.  I can't find the specific source of this information.

it's a small world I say. Anyway, what exactly do you mean with "miffed".
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

Actually, we are talking about Kitty Aldridge

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
For pottel, "miff", as a noun, means a slight feeling of resentment. It is commonly used in a phrase such as "I was a bit miffed", meaning, "I was upset, a little angry and/or offended and slightly resentful". It is a colloquial word, not slang and certainly not rude or offensive. Another way of saying it in everyday conversation is "put out", as in "I was a bit put out". Both refer to being unhappy about something but not strongly so.

It seems that jbaent is miffed by my mention of Dylan in this thread. In answer to him, the name of Mariella Frostrup appeared in a previous posting. I thought others might be interested in the fact that the connection with Mark goes back almost 30 years. My knowledge happened to have a Dylan link, that's all. I don't think the Dylan mention was gratuitous.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
I got the same remarks last week...

should we start a new thread each time we want to talk about something which is not DIRECTLY related to the original topic ?

What is the best way ? threads with 5,10 ,20 (or more) pages or 5,10,20 (or more) "shorts" threads per day ?

Sincerely, I don't know, and maybe the 2 ways can fit.

However, I agree with twm, IMHO I think he was right to talk about Dylan and Mariella Fostrup, in a way it is "linked" to Kitty, at least Mariella Fostrup was  quoted in the first reply.

twm, I have to say that all of your interventions are always very insightful, full of knowledge, very instructives, and I always read them with pleasure  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
It seems that jbaent is miffed by my mention of Dylan in this thread. In answer to him, the name of Mariella Frostrup appeared in a previous posting. I thought others might be interested in the fact that the connection with Mark goes back almost 30 years. My knowledge happened to have a Dylan link, that's all. I don't think the Dylan mention was gratuitous.

I think you are confusing "posts" with "threads"  ;)

In a forum, everything is sorted by threads by a very good reason. To follow them. Your post is nice, but doesnt have anything to do with this thread, thats what I mean. Open new threads is something anyone can do, if you want to talk about Mariella Fostrup early relationship with MK, you dont need to post anything that comes to your head to the first thread you read, hope you get me  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
I think you are confusing "posts" with "threads"

No, by threads, I mean "topic"
"post" is a reply to others posts in the same topic, so in the same "thread", or did I miss someting  ???

As I said, I think that both ways can fit. To me I find natural to reply in the same topic about somting said in this topic, even if it isn't directly from the main subject. e.g when someone talk about Groucho Marx ina thread not dediacted to Groucho Marx, if I want to share a Groucho's quote, I find a bit strange to start a special thread about Groucho Marx, just to quote a line.

However, you are right : having several threads  for each subject is easier to surch by key words, but on the other hand you will have replies to posts that are in other threads  :)

well, should I start a new thread to chat about threads ?  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.