Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Levon Helm  (Read 6813 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Levon Helm
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
I have no idea whether there is any interest whatsoever, herein, about The Band but the following ominous bulletin has appeared on the Levon Helm website:-

http://www.levonhelm.com/

I have been listening to The Band's music for well over 40 years now. Richard Manuel and Rick Danko have already gone and it looks like Levon will soon be gone, too. This will leave just Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson. Levon, the only American in a very America group, was the drummer in The Band but was also one of their vocalists, as well as playing the mandolin occasionally. He was an actor, too. More recently, he made the award-winning "Dirt Farmer" album and, for quite a few years now, has been a running a whole series of good-time, free-and-easy, musical gatherings under the title Midnight Rambles. Friends of mine who have attended these have raved about them.

This is news is not unexpected but is still very sad.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: Levon Helm
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:54:37 AM »
 :) +1
So sad when health robs us of such talented artists. I'm not sure what caused Levon's illness, but I was so relieved when MK gave up smoking. Levon's site suggest that he an MK seem to have crossed paths/venues a few times. Even one of Levon's fans, disappointed by his in-ability to sing on tour, that he replied to the thread by saying he was tossing up wether to still go to the concert or go to MK's.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:11:16 AM »
The last waltz is one of my fav live gigs in rock history.

IMHO Bob Dylan had his best era during his time with the band, and sorry to say this but Forever young sound so better in the last waltz than during the last tour....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
For most of Dylan's "electric" shows from October 1965 to May 1966, Levon was not the drummer. When the band played a residency at Tony's Mart in Somers Point, New Jersey, from June to August 1965, they were called "Levon and the Hawks" but Levon left around the end of October and they had to get in other drummers for the subsequent shows. Curiously, in late November 1965, when Dylan played Toronto (the town where the band had played so often and had a strong following), the advertising hoardings stated that Dylan was appearing with "Levon and the Hawks"  - except that, from all the evidence, Levon was no longer in the band. He returned towards the end of 1967, around the time that they got a recording contract.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
And Dylan's 1 May 1966 show in Copenhagen was also advertised as being with Levon and the Hawks, when Levon hadn't been part of the proceedings for some 6 months and was, as I recall, working on an oil rig out in the Gulf of Mexico, or something like that. Dylan's drummer, by then, was Mickey Jones, who had a pretty good pedigree. He had met The Beatles during their Olympia shows in Paris in early 1964 when drumming for Trini Lopez, had gone on to drum with Johnny Rivers before Dylan and then went on to drum for Kenny Rogers. Mickey was also an actor, perhaps mainly noted for being in the long-running "Home Improvemet" series.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
another great one will bite the dust...sad
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:51 AM »
The sad news of Levon's death has been carried in many newspapers already (and there was even a clip of him at the end of a BBC TV news review programme tonight). here's The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/arts/music/levon-helm-drummer-and-singer-dies-at-71.html?_r=2&hp

Sad as this news undoubtedly is, I prefer to recall something like this:

Not the strong tenor voice of his early days but a man plying his trade with skill, humour and goodwill to the very end, earning the respect and love of his fellow musicians and, I hope, all of us, too.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:54:48 PM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
This is something I was not expecting:-

http://jontaplin.com/2012/04/21/let-us-now-praise-famous-men/

As it says, Jonathon Taplin was a road manager for The Band and, as I recall, the guy who delayed The Band's, and thus Dylan's, performance at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1969 in order to get the sound just right.

The unusual element in this short piece was about the financial impact of internet-downloading on the income of jobbing musicians. It is worth bearing in mind that, while this may have little impact on the headliners and the stars, the effect on those lower down this particular food-chain can be more significant. This does not arise from downloading unofficial recordings because, whether that is right or wrong, moral or immoral, the musicians concerned would never have derived an income from it anyway. It does arise from downloading official releases for free, however.

Whilst Levon's Midnight Rambles have been musical successes and much appreciated by fellow musicians and fans alike, they were originally started because Levon had a mortgage to service and substantial medical bills to pay arising from his cancer treatment.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:31:52 PM by twm »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
twm, it is really sad news.

The topic for royalties is  something I have been meaning to discuss with music lovers. Would you care to elaborate a bit, including your opinion on the matter?
IMO, (and on the fly, to help-provoke you   ;) ) it struck me as very odd (even though partially I make my living, by selling photographs, so I understand the meaning of intellectual property and the need of royalties) that there are some people that live their lives feeding from a couple of songs, that wrote back in the 60ies or when ever. It is not a moral issue, it is a logical issue. Back in the days that money was plenty, very few people thought of that, as an issue-or a problem, but now it is an Orwellian nightmare.  Anyway, I tend to agree with Todd Rundgren, that he said that it is the way of the things, and musicians should be making money playing live and not just expect to live of recordings. And I will add, that I find the thieving behavior of the  companies very hypocritical, adding insult to injury. And let me add that I always buy the music that I like, even if I can find illegal copies or downloads.  If anyone care to join such a topic, maybe we can move it to its own thread.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »
I don't download anything much from the net at all, whether it is official or bootleg. I have downloaded podcasts but that doesn't deprive anyone of royalties. I have downloaded maybe two or three out-of-print jazz albums that some enthusiast put up. I have also paid for something like three tracks that were only available on-line.

I take no high moral stand on this matter. It is just my personal preference.

As for record companies, they are necessary but, being businesses, have to be concerned about their bottom line, not the wishes and desires of fans, especially where these do not contribute to the bottom line. However, record comapnies can be hypocritical themselves. For example, when Columbia was recording one Stravinsky piece (and this recording was being done in sections to be joined together), they discoverd after the event that they had inadvertantly failed to record one part. It was too late to rectify things, so, having incurred the recording costs with no prospect of recouping that outlay, what did they do? The answer is : they snipped a bit from a recording made by a rival  record company and inserted it in their own recording.

The songwriting copyright world is like a pit of snakes - easy to fall into, difficult to extricate oneself from and potentially harmful. Take the song "Caldonia", as originally performed by Louis Jordan. Almost certainly, he wrote the song but it is credited to "F.Moore".  This was Fleecie Moore, who was married to him at that time. He used this device to get round his contractual obligation to another music publisher. As was inevitable in such a scenario, the couple subsequently divorced (it was acrimonious, not to say violent) but she continued to reap the financial rewards.

Incidentally, "Caldonia" was next recorded by Erskine Hawkins, who also had a hit with it, I believe. When the Erskine Hawkins version was reviewed in BILLBOARD (this was in mid-1945), two notable things were contained in the review. Firstly, they wrongly attributed the song to Phil Moore, a jazz trumpeter and band leader, but, more significantly, the review started with the words "It's a right rhythmic rock and roll music ....". , believed to be the first time that the phrase "rock and roll music" appeared in print. The review was written by M.H.Orodenker but who remembers him? And think how much he could have made if he had copyrighted the phrase.
And, in case you're wondering, I had a vague recollection about all this but had to check it out before posting it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:25:05 AM by twm »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
Levon, the only American in a very America group

Levon was from the US, and the rest of band from Canada.

The US and Canada are in AMERICA

So it can be said everybody in The Band were American.

A very common mistake to consider that the US people are the only american when everybody from Chile, Paraguay, Colombia, Mexico etc etc are also American people. AMERICA is a continent, not a country!!!!!
So Long

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
You're quite right, of course, jbaent - technically, that is.

The difference is that most of those living on those continents but not from the USA refer to themselves by their countries' names. Most of the residents/citizens of Canada, for example, refer to themselves as Canadians (and would probably be a little offended if you referred to them as American).

Never having visited Latin or South America, I'm less sure about the position further south. However, I do have two Brazilians in the extended family. Being in very, very different branches of the family, they don't know one another (indeed, I'm not even sure they know about one another's existence) but both refer to themselves as Brazilian. One has an Italian-sounding name, being of Italian extract, but is still Brazilian.

U.S. citizens are the only ones who, routinely, call themselves American.

That's my defence, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:02:35 AM by twm »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »

U.S. citizens are the only ones who, routinely, call themselves American.

That's my defence, anyway.

They are wrong  :)

I
So Long

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
Maybe they are but, then, so are most of the rest of the English-speaking world.

That is not to say that you are wrong, because you are not, but what you say runs counter to everyday usage.

If you had asked the members of The Band, I am confident that the others would have said that Levon was the only American in the group. In fact, I am sure that I could find specific quotes from The Band where they use this terminology.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1) If a Canadian is American and Canadian, what are the two  equivalent (and different) words for a citizen of the United States?

2) What are the two words in Spanish?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.