Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK sings What a wonderful world  (Read 29886 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: MK sings What a wonderful world
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2012, 12:02:40 PM »
Thank you jbaent!    It's great to hear Chris saying what a nice person MK is.  I have heard him described as "a true gentleman" by many people who have been involved musically with him.   Thanks also for getting us back on track btw!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2012, 12:09:17 PM »
Thank you jbaent!    It's great to hear Chris saying what a nice person MK is.  I have heard him described as "a true gentleman" by many people who have been involved musically with him.   Thanks also for getting us back on track btw!   ;)

You are welcome  ;)
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
Thanks also for getting us back on track btw!   Wink

Yes, sorry to post replies unrelated to the original topic, but when someone chat about something interesting, I find a bit useless to start another thread, just to reply to him.

I will try to not disturb anymore... :)

Jackal

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
Mea culpa. Inter alios ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »
That's the guy - "Iz" for short (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole for long). When was that? I just remember him looking a bit like a Sumo wrestler. Was it a hit or something? I can't even recall why I can remember anything about him or the song. Thanks for finding that.

Perhaps, for those who don't know, I should explain the "I Haven't A Clue" reference. This BBC Radio 4 programme is a long-running comedy quiz that is actually called, "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue". It describes itself as "an antidote to panel games" and consists of two teams, each of two comedians, given a series of tasks described as "silly things to do".  One of the "silly things" that crops up from time to time is to sing "one song to the the tune of another".  There are a couple of other musical "games". One is called "pick-up tune". A disc is played and the panellist has to start to sing along with it; then the record is faded out entirely but the panellist has to continue singing; after a period of time, the recording on the disc is faded back up again; the "winner" is the panellist who comes closest to keeping up with the recording.  Nothing in the show is serious, as you can gather.

Perhaps the most bizarre (and thus the most popular) "game" is one called "Mornington Crescent", taken from the name of a station on the London Tube system. Quite simply, the game has no rules whatsoever, other than each panellist in turn calling out the name of a London landmark (quite often the name of a street or a Tube station) until one says "Mornington Crescent". The first to say "Mornington Crescent" is the winner - except nobody really cares.  As there are no rules, there is disputation over whether a contribution is within the "rules", with obscure and strange-sounding "rules" being cited. Similarly, without rules, there are no real tactics, so, naturally, there is a fair amount of discussion about what particular strategems or tactics are being used in any particular instance. The whole point is that nobody understands the game but everyone pretends that they do - indeed, that they are experts in playing it. 

By now, anyone reading this posting who is not British will have arrived at the conclusion that we are indeed quite mad over here. To compound this, the programme must have been going for something like 40 years, has become something of an insitution and has won radio awards on quite a few occasions.  You can even buy recordings of some of the programmes commercially.

For years and years, the chairman was Humphrey Lytlleton, best known as a jazz trumpter with his own jazz band.  He adopted a very dry delivery of the script, which usually included puns, double entendre, sarcasm and (as mentioned in another thread) paraprosdokians.  The most frequent chairman since his sad death has been Jack Dee, a comedian who also has a very deadpan delivery.

What a weird and wonderful world it is! Is that where "www" comes from?
i always loved "have i got news for you sir"
also, i heard this song the first time agggggggeeessss ago in meet joe black, always wondered who sang it, then years later it becomes this rather huge hit...what a wonderful world i say...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Pottel, we were back on the road, stay polite!

;D
So Long

Jackal

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Like I said, inter alios. Inter alios.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
I keep checking the Australian iTunes store... Nothing. Is there a release schedule I've missed somewhere?
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
same with UK iTunes, and Amazon.co.uk, is it only coming out in USA?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Jackal

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
I just ordered it via amazon.com from a seller called -importcds. 9.99 USD plus shipping. Gift for dad, though :) (I bought Cooder's Chavez' Ravine for myself. Just to let you know.)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »
This may get shoved elsewhere but these photos provoke a sense of wonder at the world:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/05/space-photos-european-southern-observatory_n_1405682.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D105618#s845318

Scroll down the page a bit to find the 50 photos that have been published by the European Southern Observatory to mark its fifty years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:58:14 PM by twm »

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »
I just ordered it via amazon.com from a seller called -importcds. 9.99 USD plus shipping. Gift for dad, though :) (I bought Cooder's Chavez' Ravine for myself. Just to let you know.)

Chavez Ravine...Cool. Anyway I,flathead is much better
Love will find a Way

Jackal

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

Chavez Ravine...Cool. Anyway I,flathead is much better

Oh yeah?! Wanna fight?!!!  ;D

I like Chavez Ravine better, both the music and the story, but I, Flathead too is great. I play all three albums from the California trilogy constantly on Grooveshark, but I have picked out my favorite songs. Most of the songs come from Chavez Ravine.

I'm looking forward to getting the CD. Apparently, it has a nice thick booklet, as do all the trilogy albums.

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/chavez-ravine

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:58 PM »
Fight???

---O.K.
hehehe ;D

Yeah. The trilogy is wonderful. I got them all too. My favourite from Chavez is: Corrido de boxeo. Excellent.

But all time fave: Waitin' for some girl from Flathead.

Hope Ry and MK someday play together...
Love will find a Way

Jackal

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »
Corrido de boxeo? Strange choice, I'd say. Mine are Poor Man's Shangri La, It's Just Work for Me, and Soy Luz y Sombra. Just love the production.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 49 queries.