Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK sings What a wonderful world  (Read 29910 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: MK sings What a wonderful world
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
Being a newbie, I didn't know that. So, why not resurrect it?

We would need more of the ladies to return to the fold first, but it would be great if it was resurrected, because I remember we all had such a lot of fun!   :)
correction! The ladies had fun....

That's exactly what I meant, pottel!    ;)    I think the guys had a few peeks though!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
Being a newbie, I didn't know that. So, why not resurrect it?

We would need more of the ladies to return to the fold first, but it would be great if it was resurrected, because I remember we all had such a lot of fun!   :)
correction! The ladies had fun....

Haha Pottel, the ladies had sure a LOT of fun and........most of the guys as well! I am sure about that!

Thank you for mentioning twm and LE and for posting the link Val! I have been reading the first 2 pages and it made me laugh again! It is a pity that I don't have time today to read all the others, but will try to read them all this weekend!  What a great time we all had!

Btw Imagine we had at that time 13 pages and most important 11.235 visitors watching!

Fieneke
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:26:49 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:34 AM »
Getting back to to the main thrust of this thread (sorry, ladies), I watched an episode of "Masters of American Music" on TV this evening and it was the one about Louis Armstrong, made in the late 1980s. It had lots of great clips but not one of Satchmo doing "What A Wonderful World". However, it did have a snatch of his recording towards the end. There was a clip of him and Billie Holiday together (one of the first albums I ever bought was a Billie Holiday one, from her recordings for the  Commodore label) and she is a great vocalist.

The clip that really brought out memories, though, was Louis Armstrong and trombonist Jack Teagarden duetting on "Rockin' Chair". The singing wasn't the best but the first record I ever owned was a 78 of the two of them doing that song live at New York Town Hall in 1948 (I forget the precise date). The disc was given me by a neighbour who played in a small dance band and had learned of my growing interest in jazz. The only thing was, we didn't have any means of playing the record at home. The neighbour concernd had built his own hi-fi system, doubtless rather basic but wonderful to me, and he played the record before passing it on. A lot later, I took round to a jazz-lover of my own age and played it there. As I had no record player, I was persuaded to leave it there, so i could play it on my various visits. Eventually, our ways parted and I left that 78 behind - sadly.

Incidentally, the neighbour in question was a Chet Atkins fan and had quite a lot of his 78s as I recall, which I also heard on my visits there.

surferboy

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Hi,
I read the forum almost daily, but this is my first post.
On the US amazon site there is a promo video about Chris Botti's new album with some friendly comments from Mark starting at 1.43 into the video:
http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Botti/e/B000AQ8S0S/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »

Welcome to AMIT Surferboy and thank you very much for sharing this beautiful video!
It was nice to see and hear Mark talking! ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
Hi,
I read the forum almost daily, but this is my first post.
On the US amazon site there is a promo video about Chris Botti's new album with some friendly comments from Mark starting at 1.43 into the video:
http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Botti/e/B000AQ8S0S/ref=ntt_mus_dp_pel

Thanks, surferboy! This is going to be a lovely version, I'm sure...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Many thanks Surferboy for drawing my attention to the video.  I can't wait to hear the whole song and I'm sure I'm going to love it!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
Looks like it's going to be a great record. Perfect for quiet evenings and Sunday afternoons. (I mean that in a good way.)

OfflineMaroretto

• Local Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 01:42:20 AM »
 ;)  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:55:42 PM by Maroretto »

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 02:23:23 AM »
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Really great version with some juicy licks from MK and nice instrumental outro. Have to listen again...
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 02:28:15 AM »
What about MK including it occasionally in his forthcoming solo tour, perhaps with Chris Botti guesting? Wouldn't that make for a wonderful world!

Indeed, isn't it about time that Mark tried out a brass section on stage? I mean, I really do enjoy his Celtic- and folk-tinged material  (sorry to bang on about it but I like this style more than the DS-based stuff - most of you will disagee but it's my taste and that's the way I respond to what I hear) but one could put forward an arguement that Mark's guitar-playing is well-suited to some jazzy arrangements. OK, this is what I might call soft jazz (lounge-style perhaps but no mere elevator music) but it's a lyrical sound, gentle on the ear and it involves a subtle but firm control of tempo and mood - all wthin Mark's capabilities. It's a bit less forgiving on vocal inaccuracies but Mark could cope with that.  Overall, it might stretch Mark a bit but, apart from personal inclination, I see little reason why he should not try it out.

Emulating and extending what tends to be termed "the great American songbook" tradition might just be the sort of challenge to stimulate his creative juices.

Finally, I'm not much up on current jazz musicians, so Chris Botti was new to me - even though he has been around for years, won Grammys, recorded many albums and played with a range of musicians, including some I've seen and enjoy. This is a failing on my part, which I will seek to rectify in the coming months. Most jazz trumpters these days owe some kind of debt to Miles Davis and I suspect the same is true of Botti. One of my musical regrets is not seeing Miles Davis live as I love his material, from "The Birth of the Cool" period, up through those Prestige albums with one word titles, then "Kind of Blue" (still selling quite well decades on) and albums he made with Gil Evans. These CDs are played almost as often as Bob Dylan's here.

Just as Dylan has brought me to other musicians who might otherwise have passed me by, so MK has had the same effect in this case.

OfflineAnimalmysoul

• Guitar George
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
Thank you very much for sharing, that's great!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
What an unexpected surprise this Sunday morning!   Perfect!  Thank you very much - I loved it! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
Sounds good, but wait until you hear Tango Suite with Herbie Hancock on the same album.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
Sounds good, but wait until you hear Tango Suite with Herbie Hancock on the same album.

Where can we hear that?     ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 45 queries.