Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Question for computer and audio nerds  (Read 4290 times)

Rollergirl

Question for computer and audio nerds
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
I want to download this

http://raylandbaxter.bandcamp.com/

(by the way, if you haven't heard him yet, do it now, he's the best thing that happened to music since sliced bread  ;D)

Downloads are available in MP3 320, FLAC, MP3 VBR (V0), AAC, Ogg Vorbis or ALAC format. Which one do I chose that is not MP3 and can be transferred on to a CD?

Love Expresso

Re: Question for computer and audio nerds
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
R2D2? C-3PO? 2G2TB???  :lol

LE ??  :-*

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »
I want to download this

http://raylandbaxter.bandcamp.com/

(by the way, if you haven't heard him yet, do it now, he's the best thing that happened to music since sliced bread  ;D)

Downloads are available in MP3 320, FLAC, MP3 VBR (V0), AAC, Ogg Vorbis or ALAC format. Which one do I chose that is not MP3 and can be transferred on to a CD?

Flac, is lossless, like downloading the cd itself, and if you use nero for burn your cds, you can download a plugin that will work to burn your discs directly from the flac.
So Long

Rollergirl

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
Flac, is lossless, like downloading the cd itself, and if you use nero for burn your cds, you can download a plugin that will work to burn your discs directly from the flac.
Thanks, I don't know if I use Nero, I'll check. What if I don't? Can I download it somewhere?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:30:07 AM by Rollergirl »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 03:09:31 AM »
Before you go crazy with Nero, check if your current software can recognize FLAC. Mine does without a problem (toast titanium on mac), and I think that the windows burn program does too.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 04:50:23 AM »
Thanks to a tip from Pottel..I use foobar 2000 all the time now..http://www.foobar2000.org/..and it has a converter to burn a CD in a format that is compatible to whatever CD player you want to play it in...AAC is a standard CD format so all players..including car players ..would recognize it. So download it in FLAC..the purest....lossless format..play it on your pc in FLAC using foobar...but you might want to convert it when burning to a CD to listen to it on other players. Hope this helps  :)
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Rollergirl

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
Thanks to a tip from Pottel..I use foobar 2000 all the time now..http://www.foobar2000.org/..and it has a converter to burn a CD in a format that is compatible to whatever CD player you want to play it in...AAC is a standard CD format so all players..including car players ..would recognize it. So download it in FLAC..the purest....lossless format..play it on your pc in FLAC using foobar...but you might want to convert it when burning to a CD to listen to it on other players. Hope this helps  :)

thanks but if I have to convert it to play it in my car or on my hifi, then there is not much point in downloading the best, ie FLAC, is there? What's the best that I can burn on a CD then, AAC it seems?

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
I knew there was going to be a misunderstanding. You download at FLAC because it is a nice lossless format. From then on you can burn FLACs on a CD, where it plays in every CD player, car or home or portable. It is only a question if your burn program recognizes the FLAC format, which I am pretty sure that it does, because it is very common and popular and universal. Try to burn one of the live DS concerts that are in FLAC to test. But even if it doesn't you have to download the patch so that the program can install it to it's library and recognize it.
 Then if you want to turn them into MP3 s for your MP3 player there are several converters, easy to use and free! (CD EX comes to mind). Enjoy!

Rollergirl

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »
thanks VGONIS, I am a bit of a blond when it comes to computers. I have burned FLAC on CD before but I can't play it anywhere... I'll try again.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
FLACs are digital files. If at your burn program (NERO or which ever) chose to burn them as AUDIO CD (you are given a choice) the program automatically will take all the necessary steps to produce an audio CD that plays in every CD player. Of course, always provided tat the program has the FLACs in it's library, in order to recognize them and work with them. On the other hand, if you burn it as a data disc, the files will be there, but they would need a program, usually found in a computer to read them.
I am a beginner with computers myself.  As for the blond comment, I have to say that it is not a disadvantage. It is said that men prefer blonds. ;D  And I had no idea that the blond jokes are so common in the Northern countries, where blond is very common. Here in Greece blonds are not common, and men usually allow them many mistakes for that reason, and that is why they don't develop and evolve mentally. They don't have to, they get away with everything.  ;)  (cheap sociology)  But not with me. I try to help them as much as possible and that is why I make their lives a living hell. :P (cheap joke) I have a friend that is blond, but actually she dyes her hair, what we call color lobotomy. But she is clever and witty, but unlucky with men. Go figure.

So, FLACs ...

Rollergirl

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
FLAC it is then  ;D, wish me luck

Rollergirl

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:03 PM »
well, I've downloaded FLAC. Sounds great on my computer. Still none the wise when it comes to burning this onto a CD...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
Good luck. Remember to chose AUDIO! :) Tell us how it goes, to decide the blond volume, eh, to give you any help. ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
my pleasure.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Rollergirl

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
still not managed to. Couldn't download nero. Can i burn CD with foobar?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 54 queries.