Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Your top ten or twenty musicians/groups and suggested works.  (Read 3255 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Your top ten or twenty musicians/groups and suggested works.
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
I know that most of us listen to other music than MK.  ;) I think it would be nice to know the music preferences of each other and maybe suggest the creme de la creme works from these artists. I don't know if there was such a thread in the past.( I spent some time going through the past threads but gave up after looking at least half of them). Please no MK and DS, I believe it goes without saying they are our absolute best. So this is my list, random order.

A note: From the following artists I have most or all of their works. I consider them my favourites because I have been enjoying most of their records. There are many more fantastic records, from artists and groups that never made a second good one, or a second one at all. But maybe this is a topic for another thread.     

1. Hefner - Some would define them as Brit-pop, but I'd like to think he is more of a Jonathan Richman/Modern lovers case. I love all their albums just the same, but for those not into more electronic, avoid the last one, "Dead Media" . Their lead songwriter, singer, is Darren Hayman,  continues solo with albums that only occasionally sound like Hefner, a case just like our MK.

2. Belle and Sebastian - With sound reminiscent of the 60ies, the 80ies, the 90ies and some time the 70ies, depending on which album or song you listen to.  I still prefer their second album "If you're feeling sinister", but a better start would be "Push barman to open old wounds", which is a compilation of their fantastic EPs, all non album tracks.

3. John Martyn - A great songwriter, guitarist and singer that never quite made it big. Explored the limits of folk and pushed them further. "One world" and "Solid  air" are his absolute best, and there is a later record "Church with one bell" where he interprets fantastically songs from the past.

4. Television - Recorded  only three studio albums and a semi  official live, but still they are very influential. "Marquee moon" is an exceptional album, a guitarist heaven, with dual guitar interplay, among Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, but all their albums are very good. Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, continued with a solo career, that surely worths exploring.

5. Fleetwood Mac - A band that needs no introduction. I love "Then play on" from the Green period and 2 albums "Rumours" and "Tusk" from the Buckingham-Nicks period.

6. Pink Floyd - I simply like them all. Each album a different thrill. After so many spins, I can only remember that most of all I liked "The wall"

7. The Beatles - I always liked the "White album". So many songs and ideas. I don't like Srg. Pepper's that much, but I like everything after that.

8. The Kinks - "...are the village green preservation society"    and "Something else" are up there with the best of the other British bands, the Stones, the Beatles and the Who. Ray Davies was a genius songwriter, and in my opinion the most British of all.

9. Bob Dylan - "Blonde on Blonde" is the album for me, with second "John Wesley Harding". In the top six are also "Freewheelin", "Oh, Mercy", Blood on the tracks" and "Highway 61 revisited".

10. Marvin Gaye - The voice, hats off.  I like three of his albums, the classic "What's going on", the sensual "Let's get it on"  and the bitter "Here my dear".

11. Jimi Hendrix - Well his studios albums are unsurpassed. A musical trip to guitar imagination. And the songs are great, not just opportunities to show off his skills.

12. Bruce Springsteen - Still my all time favourite, with the best big sound and compositions to support, is "The wild, the innocent and the E street shuffle"

13. U2 - "The Joshua tree" and "Achtung baby" are shiny gems in the dusty days of late 80ies early 90ies times.

14. Neil Young - "After the goldrush", "Everybody knows this is nowhere", "Harvest",  "Rust never sleeps" and "On the beach" are five albums that I can listen over and over. Not a bad song on any of them. There are at least 5 albums from the 70ies that are almost great. A fantastic artist.

I have many more, but I will edit my post some time tomorrow to add them.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Your top ten or twenty musicians/groups and suggested works.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
I thought the thread was about your 20 favorite guitar players?
Mine, in no specific order:
Mk (ok, two first are in a particular order)
David gilmour
Richard Thompson
Leo kottke
Joe satriani
Jimmie page
Jimi Hendrix
Andres Segovia
Pack de Lucia, John McLaughlin and al di meola ( for me they will always be one guitar)
Charlie sexton
Chet Atkins
Rory Gallagher
Ry Cooder
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Bob Dylan
JJ Cale
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:31:48 PM by Pottel »
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFat Bob

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »
Bob Dylan: too many to choose but if forced, Blood On The Tracks.
Bruce Springsteen: possibly Darkness On The Edge Of Town, but The Rising grows in stature to me constantly, a great collection of mature songwriting. Who else has written a song from the perspective of a suicide bomber?
Leonard Cohen: the best introduction to his world is probably Live In London, a 2 CD concert set.
Roxy Music: depends on whether you like the earlier more experimental stuff or the later more smooth style- I love all their stuff but Stranded would be my pick.
The Killers: Sam's Town
The Beatles: either Revolver or Abbey Road
Paul Simon: I grew up listening to S & G, my elder brother being of fan of theirs, but I'd pick Graceland as the best of his solo work.
U2: if you can forget Bono's overwhelming self importance, they have produced some great music over the years. Achtung Baby is the one I find most consistent.
Jethro Tull: a great band in the 70's, Thick As A Brick and Songs From The Wood would be a good place to start. I'm sure I read an article one time where a young Mark Knopfler is reported to have said he wanted a guitar that sounded like Martin Barre from Jethro Tull.
Steeleye Span: forget all the All Around My Hat rubbish, at it's best Steeleye was a superbly experimental band combining folk and rock- I'd suggest their second album Please To See The King as one of their peaks- at that time they had the wonderful Martin Carthy, one of the finest British guitarists ever in my opinion, as part of the lineup.
Elvis Costello: Armed Forces, new wave music influenced by ABBA!
Eric Clapton: hit his peak with the Derek & The Dominos album Layla.
The Pogues: If I Should Fall From Grace With God.
Queen: Night At The Opera, 'nuff said.
Pink Floyd: either Dark Side or Wish You Were Here.
Rolling Stones: probably Let It Bleed. Or maybe Beggar's Banquet. Or Sticky Fingers
Gaslight Anthem: '59 Sound
Johnny Cash: one of the American Recordings series- forget the 6th one, Aint No Grave, a scraping the bottom of the barrel effort if ever I heard one, the second in the series called simply Unchained is marvellous, his voice is still strong and his backing group is Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers no less.
John Lennon: his first solo album John Lennon/Plastic One Band is still powerful today.
Ry Cooder: I was browsing in a record store years ago and was fascinated by the music being played- some wonderful guitar work, and asked at the desk- Ry Cooder, Borderline, I was told. A couple of tracks later and I had bought it, still love it the most of all his albums.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:06:22 PM by Fat Bob »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
fav artists / albums :

1 . DS / MK : Communique, Alchemy, Love over gold, Sailing to Philadelphia

2. ex-aequo : Pink Floyd (Animals, whish you were here, Meddle, Dark side) / Jimi hendrix (Electric ladyland, first rays of the new rising sun, BBC Sessions, Woodstock)

3. ex-aequo : Beatles (white album, Abbey road) / Stones (get yer..., let it bleed, sticky fingers) / Clapton (mainly his 60 and 70 era : Layla, EC was here, his fabulous work on All things must pass, and on While my guitar gently weeps)

4. All that is near or far from "blues rock, early hard rock, country-rock" : SRV, ABB, the Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, JJ cale, Ry Cooder, ZZ top, AC/DC,  Rory Galagher, Neil Young etc...

5. All that is near or far from "Woodstock era" : Doors, Who, Santana, Led Zep, Grateful dead, Deep Purple, CSN, Dylan, Kinks, etc...

6. Classic prog rock : Genesis, Yes, Oldfield, Queen, Alan Parsons, King Crimson, Supertramp, etc....

7. "chanson fran
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:34:38 PM by Jean-Fran »

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »
It would appear to be a short list..only because the real list is too long to post  :lol
1. MK/DS (LOG and STP being my favs of each era)
2. Springsteen and E-Street (BTR is a classic..but imho Darkness is by far Bruce's best work ever)
3. ABB ( best album? "Live at Fillmore East" Secondly.. "Idlewild South"..before the re-released combined double album of the first two albums "Beginnings"
4. The Kinks (fav albums are..in order.."Soap Opera"..ducks ducks..ducks on the wall!, "Sleepwalker", and "Misfits"
5. EC ("461 Ocean Boulevard", "EC was here", "From the Cradle", "Riding with the King", "Me and Mr. Johnson", "Road to Escondido")
6. Marshall Tucker Band ( "Where we all belong"...the 'thundering thumb' of Toy Caldwell at it's best)
7. Roy Buchanan ("You are not alone"...love his cover of Joe Walsh's "Turn to Stone")
8. Jeff Beck ("Blow by Blow", "Wired")
9. Jackson Browne ( all JB's albums are good..but my fav is "Late for the Sky".."The Late show" is one of my all-time favorite songs)
10. Leonard Cohen ("Ten new songs" is my fav..with "By the River Dark")
11. Blue Oyster Cult..yes..a guilty pleasure  ;) ( "Secret Treaties" is by far their best..with the live album "On your feet or on your knees" a distant second
12. James Gang..with Tommy Bolin ("Miami"..fantastic album!)
13. Lynyrd Skynyrd ("Street Survivors"..saw them live on this tour..a couple months before the plane crash..what a loss!")
14. Alan Parsons Project ( "Tales of Edgar Allen Poe", "I Robot", and "Eye in the sky"
15. Fleetwood Mac  ("Rumours" and ..going back to the pre-Buckingham Nicks era..."Mystery to Me"
16. Grateful Dead ("Workingman's Dead", "American Beauty", and "Europe 72")
17. Pink Floyd ("Darkside of the Moon" and "Wish you were here")
18. Bruce Cockburn (" Stealing Fire" and "Dancing in the Dragon's jaw")
19. Dan Fogelberg ( "Souvenirs", "Home Free" and "The Innocent age")
20. Dave Matthews Band ("Under the table and dreaming", "Crash", "On these crowded streets" and "Everyday")

That's the tip of the iceberg folks...the rest of it ranges from Al Stewart  to Frank Zappa
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:10:23 AM by Hophead »
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
Fat Boy welcome to the forum! Thank you for taking the time to write.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »
I've updated my previous post about fav artists with fav albums and solos
I don't know if it appears "new" or not

:)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
I am not supposed to do this but with all these guitarists that you mention, that I do like and prefer over the others,  I dare say that I missed only one from your list, Peter Green. Fabulous unique tone, expert use of sustain and to top all these, great feel and fantastic compositions. Santana was a student.  Grin
Check out if you don't know it already, an early Peter Green composition, the exceptional "Supernatural" (ring a bell?) on John Mayall's Hard road  album. And famous songs Green Manalishi and Black magic woman and well all of Fleetwood Mac's albums from his era and 3-4 of his personal 10 years after.

yes I know Peter Green, but I must admit I've never have the occasion to get into his work
he has indeed a unique tone.
I remember Gary Moore (a huge Green' fan, who has his famous Les paul) saying a funny anecdote in an itw : "I was trying to replicate a very hard note on Albatros : two strings at the same time, and I didn't manage to get that note, that tone, how did he do that ? And then, I saw them in concert, and I saw the secret : Green and Spencer each playing a single note at the same time ! I was disappointed !"

well, sometimes you think a musician is a genius, and you discover that studio technique help a lot !

As talking about sustain, I'd say that Santana is the master : did you see him live ? he put some marks on the stage floor to determine where his amp give him sustain/larsen or not, and it helps him to know where being on the stage to have the tone he wants !

But guitar tones (and music in general) is of course a matter of taste  :)

Rollergirl

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
I like a lot of music and musicians when I hear them but bizzarely, if I choose to put a record on it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:45:21 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »
Rollergirl, you never cease to amaze me! 5 artists only and yet I never gave them a chance. I know of them, but never heard a song or own an album! I will have to spend some time listening to uncharted territory! :)  I will thank you only if they are of my liking.  ;D 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.