Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Blu Ray Movies  (Read 2814 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Blu Ray Movies
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »
My wife has been away for the week, and I've spent a few nights going through my collection of BRs....

Just a few thoughts for people who are interested.

Casina Royale- incredible picture quality, sound and of course captivating Bond flick. Worth it just to admire the furniture in the hotels....

The Kings Speech - complete opposite here, very grainy poor quality picture with washed out colours that should have been much more vibrant. Touching story though.

Inglorious Basterds - stunning picture quality, and a mind trip of a film. Lots of typical Tarantino dialogue, great ending.

Alchemy - terrible picture, but great sound and pretty nice guitar playing.....

Unforgivern - pretty good picture, not top quality but almost. Worth a watch if it's been a while since you've seen it.

True Grit - beautiful picture, a delight to watch, and a typically brilliant Coen Brothers film.

The Sound Of Music - I was very, very impressed with the transfer to Bluray on this. Very vibrant and beautiful picture restoration. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with this, if you like the film.

...ok if anyone has any Bluray recommendations (picture quality comments) I'm keen to hear them, and if anyone mentions Avatar I'll throw up (terribly overrated film imo)!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

Re: Blu Ray Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »
Peter Jackson's King Kong has a phantastic picture quality on BD. Both Ironman movies are fun to watch, too, whereas the X-Men Series benefits not especially from the BD technology. The Band Of Brothers TV Series is great and has one of the best picture transfers to BD I can think of. It is a depressing war story of course, but it is one of the best TV Mini Series I have seen... and total feference picture quality.

Le Cinqui

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:27:40 AM »
I have to agree with LE's assessment of "Shawshank Redemption"..a must for any movie buff's collection..get busy livin'..or get busy dyin'. Also..I've recently acquired "Super 8" on BR..highly recommend it ..great movie with fantastic visuals.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
super 8 rocks, I agree. Good old fashioned Close Encounters family adventure.

I love Band Of Brothers too, but only have it on dvd. If I ever see it on special for BR, I will go for it!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
Yeah, it's worth the effort, I was like "WOW" when I first saw the BD, and at that time I had seen the whole series already one or two times...

A friend of mine told me that the first season of "LOST" looks spectacular too, and I had a look at the first episode and he's right. But I was never into that series so it is not in my collection.

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:53:27 PM »
Happy New Year to all of you!
I am about to play the devil's advocate, plus an interesting story for past movie formats!

I have been a movie fan since the mid-80ies, before I was even 10. We didn't have a TV in the house (and as I recall back then there were only 3or 4 channels on-all public, so no real choice...) , and my dad used to give me and my sister money to catch a movie in the cinema. Athens was a great city to live back then, the crime rate was near zero, so after the first couple of times we watched movies at the cinema near home we used to go to far away cinemas, at the center of the city (1 hour walk).    Later in the early nineties, I started buying VHS tapes, with my favourite movies, and then came the DVD, which seemed a nice option to upgrade, and then, 15 years later we are called yet once again to buy the same movies. Someone might say that it is the same with music, cassettes, vinyl, CD, SACD, DVD or whatever. I am sticking to vinyl and only buy CDs that don't have a vinyl edition or with extras, or the ones that I really take with me to listen everywhere. What I mean, is that I am a sucker for better picture or sound, but I am not going to fall for it that easily. After all DVD does a fine job. And believe it or not, I somehow feel lucky that I wasn't in the USA, because two more video formats were available in the 80ies and 90ies, before the DVD and I would probably have fallen for them. One of them was the Laserdisc (DS released Alchemy and On the night on Laserdiscs) and SelectaVision Videodisc or CED. Both started out in the late 70ies, both came in 12'' format, playing at both sides and both of them contained ANALOG pictures and sound.Laserdisc was more common, and successful, lasted until 2001 (last 3000 players were actually manufactured in 2009) was made of aluminum and read with a laser beam, much like the CDs and DVDs. Selectavision on the other hand, never really made it outside the USA (UK and Australia were the other two countries that actually tried it a bit), lasted only until 1986 (last movies for that format were made in July 1986). The truly interesting part for the SelectaVision disc is that it was made of vinyl, similar to the music LPs and the content was read with a stylus-a needle, just like the LPs!    
See more about this format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
http://w.cedmagic.com/home/cedfaq.html#threetwenty

These are my  10 favourite movies that come to mind now. I don't know if they are released in Blue ray and if they worth their money in this new format, but if and when DVD becomes obsolete, I might have to get them.
1.Brazil  - Terry Gilliam
2.Taxi driver - Scorsese
3. The Blues Brothers - j.Landis
4. The life of Brian - Monty Pythons
5.Blow-up - Antonioni
6.Annie Hall - Woody Allen
7.Singin' in the rain-G.Kelly
8.Blade runner - R.Scott
9.Network - S.Lumet

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:28:37 PM by VGONIS2002 »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
The Big Lebowski
Life of Brian
5th Element
C'est Arriv
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Jackal

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
It's been a while since I saw these movies, but I seem to remember they looked good in Blu-ray. If they are that much better than on DVD is hard to say.

The Jason Bourne movies

Changeling (excellent photography and recreation of 20s (30s?) Los Angeles)

Iron Man (I know ... looks great though)

Tombstone

Public Enemies

Hurt Locker (can't remember if I saw this on Blu-ray or DVD, but good movie)

District 9

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Blow Up is brilliant and may even be in my top ten so I won't put it there!  Antonioni always looked through the camera when he made films.  L'Avventura is also great and The Passenger is pretty good too.
My top ten:

North By Northwest
Kes
Get Carter
A Bout de Souffle
The Maltese Falcon
Towering Inferno
Frankenstein (1931)
Brighton Rock
Three Days of the Condor
Klute
Marathon Man

and of course Once Upon A Time In the West!

Of course there's a big difference between favourite films and best films on a technical aspect but I too have loved films from an early age.  My grandmother used to watch old movies all the time when I was with her so I think that must be where I picked it up.  Or maybe I just wasn't good company when I was a child!  Whatever, since then I have read many books on the topic and think I can appreciate a well made film now.  I can recommend this to people who are keen on films since you enjoy them more.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Sorry Fletch, wrong turn with the topic, I'm afraid I've ruined it. Surely not my intention. As a matter of fact I have only Alchemy on Blue Ray but no player to test it on.
dmg, what a great choice of movies, too bad they don't make any good ones lately. Well, "Seven pounds" and "The Guard" from the last couple of years weren't that bad. Not bad at all.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
Sorry Fletch, wrong turn with the topic, I'm afraid I've ruined it. Surely not my intention. As a matter of fact I have only Alchemy on Blue Ray but no player to test it on.
dmg, what a great choice of movies, too bad they don't make any good ones lately. Well, "Seven pounds" and "The Guard" from the last couple of years weren't that bad. Not bad at all.
Yes, alas the downfall of the movie industry was in the early 1970s and since then there aren't very many films we can consider classics made annually.  How many Citizen Kane's have been made lately?
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
Well, almost evertything from Stanley Kubrick? Eyes Wide Shut looks great on BD.  Also Mr. Coppola has made two great Godfather movies at least...

Jackal, funny you should mention Ironman! In fact, I was watching part 2 the other night, and I must say I really like both them! McDowney gives a total other dimension to them than just to another superhero movie... And great picture indeed on BD. Perfect saturday evening entertainment (with popcorn)

And the Bourne trilogy is also phantastic to watch. Blu Ray 2 and 3 have great picture.  Film 3 is fast, thrilling, intelligent and a great ending to that story. I love the camera, the editing, the story... lots of great locations... Better than Bond was at that time...

Ok, I shut up...  :lol

LE

Jackal

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
Speaking of Robert Downey, I think I saw SHerlock Holmes on Blu-ray. Nice movie, and seem to remember the quality was good. Just saw number 2 at the cinema. Thin story, but great entertainment. Will look great on Blu-ray.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 49 queries.