Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Do I make some fans annoyed on the tracker?  (Read 9981 times)

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Do I make some fans annoyed on the tracker?
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »
As some of you can see, I'm keeping seeding shows one by one, but I feel uncomfortable day by day or even guilty.  The reasons are below.

1. Due to my share, some fans have less and less stuff to share, it's really tough for them to raise their ratio.
2. Due to my share, some fans of parcel traders have less and less stuff to trade, do they want to knock into my door and unplug my pc?

I need your voices to guide me, please.  :(

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Do I make some fans annoyed on the tracker?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
Um, no, I think you are very popular Allen, don't worry.

If other "fans" want to seed the shows to improve their ratio then they should do so! Nothing stopping them.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:04:11 PM »
Oh, and parcel trading is just dying out due to the technology. Personally I think it's a great thing, I hate to think how much I spent on postage and blank discs over the years.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
Allen, there should be no concerns about ratios.  The best thing users can do is download and make sure once it is completed is to keep seeding it.  If you were really concerned you could stop seeding once several people have completed and let them do the contributing. 

I agree with dusty, I think downloads/uploads is the way forward.

Keep up the good work Allen, stop worrying :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:11:06 PM »
I agree.  Postage is so expensive these days, so I personally prefer to download/upload.   :)  BTW You certainly don't annoy me Allen!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:21:26 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »
Oh, and parcel trading is just dying out due to the technology. Personally I think it's a great thing, I hate to think how much I spent on postage and blank discs over the years.

Yes, but a snail mail trades are a lot more personal. I don't like torrents because then you are just "seeding" out information to faceless people. It's very impersonal. There are actually some bands that allow taping and trading of their shows, but specifically not torrents for this reason.

Also, the fact that the new MK policy claims that "audio is OK", but does not detail anything about what should happen to these recordings after the show is over is stange. Are torrents actually "allowed" (note the quotes)? Sometimes I wonder if PC even knows what a torrent is.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:04:32 PM by Dan »
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »
Personal or not, it's still cheaper and convenient and it works well enough for me.  I realise, though, that some people are unable to download/upload and so mailing is the answer for them and I am still very grateful for those people who have sent me discs in the past.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »
it's still cheaper and convenient

So, does that make it better?  :P
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
All I am saying is it works well for me!  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
...and actually, a better question is "should it be more convenient?" I don't know about that...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
I don't see why not.  A torrent can reach a lot more people than by post and I have no qualms about whether they are faceless or not.  It is great that MK's music can be spread far and wide, but I have nothing against postage for those who have no access to torrents, or are unable to use them - I am always happy to send discs to those people as I was grateful to you, Dan, and others like you in the past who sent me discs by post.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
Sure, I understand. What I meant is that if the actual recording is coming to you pratically "free of charge"- should it also be given to you in the fastest and most convenient way?

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »
By the way Allen, you certainly don't annoy me. I did just "hijack" this thread though..whoops... :P

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
I think Dan and I talked about this many months ago via email.    I appreciate the quickness and mass distribution of a torrent, but, like Dan, I love getting to know a fellow trader personally.   I still parcel trade with two or three people, one we all know very well.  And the occasional one for one trade is quick and satisfying.   I have a couple of friends who are not computer literate, and who have slow internet.   So I have parcel traded with them several times.  
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »
Of course I don't feel annoyed either Allen!  ;D  It is great that people share information. At the tracker, Dime or Hub or by sending each other DVD's/CD's, as long as we are able to share the music of Mark I don't mind.

I am a member of the Spanish tracker and MKHub too, BUT still after the wonderful help of Pottel and his patient (TY for that  :-*), I don't know much about the things I have or need to do!  ???  My sons are every evening behind their computers too and play competition games. It is hard for me to download then and because I have a very old computer, I don't want to let it run in the night or during the day when I am away!  ;)

After the first concert in Amsterdam this year,  I tried to get ratio at the tracker, BUT that didn't work. I had the feeling I was every time too late and the connection was very, very slow. The Amsterdam concert took days to download!  :o I still don't have much ratio there and I don't dare to use it anymore, because I don
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:16:14 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.