Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011  (Read 55164 times)

Jackal

Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2011, 04:43:13 PM »
Gilmour is great, but it gets a bit too pompous for my taste. I'd love to hear Gilmour solo on lets say Telegraph Road, Ride Across the River or Once Upon a Time in the West.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
10 and everthig after

Sorry pottel, but when speaking of Echoes, I don't get it with this part, 10min. and after that
- 2,5 mins of "sounds", what in the world??

Yeah MK could have done that just to make Telegraph Road not 14:15 but 18min long!
Don't get it... Sounds to me as if they had to make an "art rock song", which of course cannot be short, so they recorded 2,5 mins of sounds just to be on the safe side. The solos and other parts are good, but if I wanna listen to "sounds" I can switch on a discovery channel whale documentary...
I like Shine on much much better, now that is a song!

Meddle, (the album from which original "Echoes" come from), was a transition album. Many things have been written about it, but fact is that the sound in this album has as much to do with their previous recordings, but even more and for the first time there are obvious hints for the sound of the future, "Dark side of the moon" onwards. The heavy shadow of Syd was almost out of the picture, and the dominance of Waters was yet to come. What's more, it was a time when the band after having recorded experimental records, with admittedly great unexpected success (I guess albums like Ummagumma or even Atom heart mother, are "hard nuts to break" even with today's standards) and away from their heart's desire, to make music more to the point, even "pop", were free to define their future moves without fear. Anyway, they went back to the studio with no new compositions, just a riff or two and a couple of ideas-each member (those days all members were contributing equally, well Mason less) . The pressure to record something quickly was obvious, and like a boiling pot, all the ingredients went in and something completely new and magical came out. Echoes must be 20 or so ideas stitched together to make this opus. And believe me it is an epic song that works. Even the peculiar sounds (one of the ideas, it is more obvious how and why it works at the "live in Pompeii"), are fantastic, but should be heard in the context, like a classical piece of music, and not dissected and examined separately. You should also take into account that at the same time, most of their recorded output was for films, and that might explain many of the "sound-scape".
(I would certainly recommend listening to the "More" OST. Fantastic! Contains Cympaline, the Nile song and Cirrus minor, all top notch songs that work even without the film, a thing I can say about the "Zabriskie    point" compositions.  )

As for WHALES, you should give a try to this Judy Collins song. It is magical!

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »
i would also prefer the awesome " La Vall
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »
and then there's this little ditty:

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »
maybe this is the better version of "marrooned"
only played live 3 times, two of which were in Norway, as a protest against the state sponsored whale fishing there:

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:16 AM »
Which version is it ? Can't watch - am at work. But  I can comment if it's the bootleggin' the bootleggers one. I prefer the fender anniversary but all are great.
Like Marbletown, I like EVERYTHING.

I know what I'm gonna watch a couple of times tonight.
Pottel, you shouldn't put two many DG links.  ::)
It distracts me a lot.  8)

I must focus on MK.  ;D

Soon. Maybe sooner.  ;)

Jackal

« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »

Time to get the crystals out and practice some transcendental meditation ...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »

No, no Jackal. PF are rumored to produce great music to have sex with. I mean having sex with another person while listening to it, not with the music. ;D

Now that I come to think of it, masturbating is having sex with someone you love, so it could mean various things as well.  ;D

Joke aside,"Marooned" is not for meditation, but diving into music, into the sound! I dare say that MK's music lately, does not work on this level, so DG it is, even 20 years later. I used to listen to Division bell, all the time during my service in the army, it was liberating and dreamy stuff. So yes, transcendental but hardly meditation. ;) 

Rollergirl

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

Now that I come to think of it, masturbating is having sex with someone you love, so it could mean various things as well.  ;D

Is that what Getting the Crystals out mean?

I didn't know!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

Is that what Getting the Crystals out mean?

I didn't know!

Replying to such a comment without sounding too cheese, is hard. You have to say something smart.

Something smart.  ;D

Actually, not to take credit for the masturbation joke, it is all Woody Allen!  ;)

As for the crystals, no I think that they refer to them as jewels - and the pan is : polishing the jewels.  No, it smells cheese all the way. Sorry.

Jackal

« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
This thread suddenly took a very different turn ...

Maybe the music is not for meditation per se, but it is very New Age like. Especially with the visuals and the sound of the whales. New Age folks love that - sounds of whales and dolphins and swooshing synthesizers.

Rollergirl

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »

You're welcome  ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »

Maybe the music is not for meditation per se, but it is very New Age like. Especially with the visuals and the sound of the whales. New Age folks love that - sounds of whales and dolphins and swooshing synthesizers.

Jackal, I see the resemblance, with one minor difference. New age music generally, is boring, while this is a fine piece of music. But it is all a matter of taste.
After all Whales are too old (almost ancient) creatures to mix up with New Age ;D . Did you see the Judy Collins video I posted:
Originally recorded in the 60ies, way before the term New Age was in use.  ::)
And all this talk, in between breaks, while I clean the house, with Led Zeppelin I+II loud as hell.   

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »

No, no Jackal. PF are rumored to produce great music to have sex with. I mean having sex with another person while listening to it, not with the music. ;D

Joke aside,"Marooned" is not for meditation, but diving into music, into the sound! I dare say that MK's music lately, does not work on this level, so DG it is, even 20 years later. I used to listen to Division bell, all the time during my service in the army, it was liberating and dreamy stuff. So yes, transcendental but hardly meditation. ;) 
Same for me. I mean for the service in the army part.  
The Division Bell CD was the only interesting thing to buy in the barracks. Lost in the middle of a huge selection of medals and flags...
When I think of that period of my life -what a waste of time ! -, the Division bell is the only positive thing I can remember.
That and maybe hunting wasp nests.
First day, captain said to me : "you're good at mathematics, you're gonna be a waiter."   :disbelief

Offlineferguitar

• Local Hero
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest  guitarist ever...........(along with MK of course). They should share number 1! ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 48 queries.