Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011  (Read 55159 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
I may be completely wrong, but I get the feeling that PF/DG appeals much more to males than females.  To be honest, I find it all a bit boring and samey after a while.  Sorry guys!   :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
pffft. girls.... ::)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest  guitarist ever...........(along with MK of course). They should share number 1! ;D
in my top 10 to 15 for sure, but not sharing numero uno with MK (or DG) :-)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
pffft. girls.... ::)

:lol   You know you love us really!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
Tunnel85, there was a similar joke in our armed forces back then. First day the captain asks for previous work experience to assign duties in the barracks. One young fellow sure that he can skip all heavy duties, claims being a disc jockey. Captain says, OK you'll be dealing with discs (trays, same word in Greek) in the kitchen!
Joke aside army is a waste of time and opportunity to learn something useful other than killing people, (it comes very handy at times  :lol  ) but unfortunately Greece has too many neighbors as enemies, and actually we were in such a spot 15 years ago, with Turkey, and on constant alert 24 Hours a day for 6 months, in the barracks! PF saved someone's life, and kept me sane.  ;)

Ritchie Blackmore is the greatest  guitarist ever...........(along with MK of course). They should share number 1! ;D

ferguitar, Richie is on top of the hill along with every other guitarist on earth. Maybe that is why no good politicians are allowed there, no spot left vacant. What's the matter?  

I may be completely wrong, but I get the feeling that PF/DG appeals much more to males than females.  To be honest, I find it all a bit boring and samey after a while.  Sorry guys!   :o

Yes DG is more "masculine" guitar player than any other. Wait, no, quite the opposite, that is why he appeals to male audience. Oh, I don't know, and I don't really get the male/female thing when it comes to music. Maybe it has something to do with logic and sentiments and this being a logical music, then again it is so logical it has come to analyze and replicate the sentimental nature of music so well, there is no difference.  After all we are not 17 anymore. Girls used to like Metallica and Guns 'n' roses, and guys did too. But some analysts (for commercials as well) say that girls like what guys like in order to get into their world, and actually buy the product, but I don't think that way, and I could go on rambling like that, since I just put on some Oxygene by the exquisite Jen Michel Jarre. Fantastic electronic music. Someone said new age and triggered that.  :lol

Yes it is a love thing after all. Love for the music.  ;) And I adore Joni Mitchell, she is a gal, right?  ;D (joke aside her Blue album is amongst my top 10 ever!)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Jackal

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »
I have not listened a lot to Pink Floyd, but my impression is that they are on balance very dark and sinister and as far as I know they don't have any romantic songs. Mark on the other hand creates music which is romantic (not in that cheesy sense, except Hand in Hand (and Romeo ...)), has humor in it and is far lighter than PF. Not strange why women would prefer Mark's music over Gilmour's. Their personalities too are very different. Gilmour seems to be a very nice guy, but there is something dark about him.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
Waters lyrics are to blame!  Gilmour is a very gentle, glowing person, radiating warmth and happiness. (over the top there, but I sort of get this from him. Waters on the other hand is the dark genious you discribe.)  I guess it has something to do with their Britishness. MK somehow is more of what you say. (maybe because his parents were from the continent, or because he grew up in Newcastle)   Jackal you should listen to their Syd album. Completely different!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
However, I do rate Gilmour as a guitarist and I would place him at #2 on my list.  

Of course this is about guitarists, but I find his rather high-pitched voice a bit cold and lacking in tone as opposed to MK's voice, which is beautifully warm, sexy and very comforting!  :P  

VGONIS - Only MK's father is from the continent (Hungary), his mother is a Geordie, born and bred!   :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
So the wit and sense of humour came from his father, eh? ;D
 I am rather a British humour fan. American humour seems very attached to bodily functions and sounds, nothing brainy, nothing spiritual.  And you have so many actors, musicians and comedians to give to the american cinema and arenas and still keep the best for your own purposes.  :) I like!

Jackal

« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Maybe the humor comes from Mark's father's Jewish background. Jewish humor is quite unique, I'd like to think.

OfflineGeordieboy

• Local Hero
  • Forever Mark
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »
GOD=2

:disbelief

I'm monotheist...ther 's only One God. No number two or tird....only One God: MK  ;D

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
GOD=2

I'm monotheist...ther 's only One God. No number two or tird....only One God: MK  ;D
Only one God, three persons. They've solved the problem two thousands years ago.  8)
Even EC has his place in the scheme.  ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
GOD=2

Only one God, three persons. They've solved the problem two thousands years ago.  8)
Even EC has his place in the scheme.  ;D

And for those that want more, because more is better (the merrier ...) there is the 12 gods of Olympus and around 50 semi-gods, 4000 years old. Maybe Rolling Stone had this in mind when they did the poll!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
Pink Floyd was at first a psychedelic rock band (Barett era), and then evolved to a progressive rock band.

the progressive rock concept was to write songs more in the classical idea with complex structures, movements, and not only chorus/verses. It was influence by "concrete" music (Stockausen, J. Cage, P. Boulez...) and tried to recreate sensations, ideas, concepts.

Of course, it sometimes became too pompos as Jackal said, but unlike most progressive bands (Genesis, Yes, King Crimson...) PF wrote songs with a more "rock" feeling, and mainly because DG brought his blues roots.

PF songs are "long", "epic", "complex", "strange" and "simple", "rock", "groovy" at the same time....well Bjorn explains this far better than me on his wonderful site http://www.gilmourish.com/ It's obviously a guitarist site, but not only, many articles are about the music, the feeling brought by PF songs

More than "progressive rock", PF music was called "space rock" (by the way, watching the end of Kubrick's 2001 space odyssey, while listen to Echoes is a worth experience), and of course many songs are full of "ambiant sounds".

That's why a long part of Echoes is not very "musical" but more ambiant (like on Dogs or many overs).

- 2,5 mins of "sounds", what in the world??

Why "music" should always be melody, chords and lyrics ? Why music could'nt be sometimes "just" sounds....
and believe me, if you listen to Stockausen, J. Cage, P. Boulez...or even some ummagumma tracks, you will find that this part of Echoes is a FM tune :D

And this is not about Whales.....sounds David create with his reverse wha are called "seagull effects" (note that the lyrics of the first verse are about "albatros")

That's a big difference between DG and MK : Gilmour has always experimented with sounds, he tried to create sounds that are not commun with a guitar, mainly beacuse he was influenced by Hendrix (did i say that he was my ex-aequo 2nd fav guitarist ? ;))
But on the other hand, I agree that Gilmour is "just" a guitarist while Mark is a complete musician, a songwriter, and a fantastic guitarist too  :)

I remember reading on MK news (yes old times...) a DG itw where he said that he was a MK fan, loved Marks' solos, and said he wouldn't be able to play it like him  :)
I've never read such words from Mark about David  :(

LOL!

I knew when I wrote it that I maybe should check it first. Disbelief  But for me, this is so much the perfect STRAT sound that I thought, naah, never another guitar... But who am I, I have no idea about guitars, better ask all our other gear heads around...  Laughing

LE

Yes LE, I agree it does sound like a strat  ;D
I was thinking the same when listening to the "little ditty" posted by Pottel : at first I thought it was a strat, until I saw the LP !

And with fingers...... David and Mark...not so different.....but very different too  ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
[quote author=Jean-Fran

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 42 queries.