Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Solo albums - which is your fave?  (Read 11479 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: The Solo albums - which is your fave?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
Rollergirl, it's been long since I lost my knickers, in order to avoid further twists and tumbles. It is almost fun to discuss semantics about the words used in order to form an opinion. Anyway an opinion of a single person is always subjective, so when somebody says "bad", he/she usually means I don't like. Especially when it comes down to art. But I didn't say bad, I said poor.  ( It surely sounds poor, repeating it here).

Now,  If you just didn't like my opinion, that shouldn't upset you. A bad opinion could have upset you, but hey, it is not like this MK trivia-opinion would affect the way of the world. So can there be a bad opinion, for such matters?   

Now if you'd like we can get to the bottom of it. All things that present themselves as art, are not actually art. As a matter of fact the holy mystery of art is so covered up with theories that make the actual work of art hard to place into context. Now, if a musician writes something from the heart, stomach, mind or  pelvis, it's all the same to me, as long as it stands tall without need of crutches, marketing, names or other paraphernalia. There is lots of music that doesn't do the trick for me but does to others. I can accept that there are certain qualities even if I can't get the music, but I can also accept that there is a lot of crappy music around, some of it make it to the charts, without any obvious reason. The fact that I can not pin point any crappy music right now, is because we have to set the bounds of what might be considered crappy music. For me mainly it is the sense that it has been a waste of time to even listen to it.

Actually, I see no reason in pursuing this any further, since it is better to listen to KTGC, instead. That would teach me some manners.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Rollergirl

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
yes, I suggest you do, at least 5 times, that will be punishment enough!  ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
cheers. :D

Rollergirl

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
where did you get that picture of me and my sister? (I am the one on the right, the good looking one)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »

If "Alchemy" is badly recorded, I prefer a badly recorded live album any time!  ;D

LE

Absolutely agree!!  ;D
There is nothing better than letting the Alchemy version of "Tunnel Of Love" blasting on your car stereo while driving along the highway. Always gives me shivers. I barely listen to "On The Night", it sounds too polished and soul-less to me, apart from "Brothers In Arms" maybe...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
where did you get that picture of me and my sister? (I am the one on the right, the good looking one)
So we've met? I asked the phone number of the ladies, disguised as an old grumpy geezer. You were the pretty one,I'll give you a call sometime!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Kill to get crimson... I
So Long

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
I like KTGC very much, except maybe "True love will never fade" and "The Fizzy And The Still".
But "Punish The Monkey", "Let It All Go", "Behind With The Rent" and "Madam's Geneva" are awesome IMO.

I think this album is not made for a tour. Too soft, too intimate.
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
Well all of this is just opinion and I agree, the songwriting on KTGC is below par for MK.

Scaffolders Wife, Fizzy and the Still and Let It All Go are OK. True Love was improved live by John. The rest are very poor by MK's admittedly high standards. In The Sky is the only MK song I just can't listen to, it's just awful.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »
Mmmm, In the sky is really one of my favourites, maybe its because I dont get the meaning of the song, maybe its because I like Phil Collins...

;)
So Long

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:43 PM »
What annoys me the most about KTGC is that horrible Hank Marvin "twang twang" guitar sound. It really hurts my ears!
I cannot stand "True Love Will Never Fade", it's just such a dull, boring song with clich

Rollergirl

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »
my favourite on KTGC is Madame Geneva. I would love to hear that one live one day!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
One of my favourites from the album is "We Can Get Wild" - it has such a feel of the 50's - Billy Fury, DA haircuts, etc and I love MK's voice on this song.  Also I really like "True Love Will Never Fade" but only played live - love the cittern!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
Rollergirl, you have two standards, i see. Dusty said the word "awful" and Goldenheart went as far as "annoys", "horrible" "hurts my ears" "dull" "boring" "dreadful" "uninspiring" "average" and the worse of all "don't really listen to it that much". I think a good spanking is in order. Where are you now, elder (yet cute) keeper of the holy MK (KTGC) faith? Don't let us down in this holy war against the filthy unbelievers. This crusade should produce results. Maybe we can even persuade MK to make another KTGC tour, playing live the whole album, in order to punish the unbelievers.  But as they say any publicity is good publicity. If it wasn't for us, exchanging posts, nobody would even consider thinking about KTGC, or so much as writing about it. Maybe we even managed to make some people go to their CDs racks and pick it up. Yet, It would take a very vivid imagination to consider that somebody went as far as listening to it.  ;D    
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:48:39 AM by VGONIS2002 »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
I'm still waiting for these newbie Bob fans to give us their honest first impressions. Come on folks, speak freely...
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 45 queries.