Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Solo albums - which is your fave?  (Read 11481 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
The Solo albums - which is your fave?
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
So - it was after joining AMIT that I delved into Marks solo work. Before that I was probably only aware of Cannibals, which actually got radio AirPlay back in the 90s!

I started buying the odd song on iTunes, trying to avoid nasty Celtic ballads, but eventually, after being turned on by songs like Border Reiver and Hillfarmers, I just bought the CDs. Which is what I should have done in the first place!!!

Almost without fail I found each album underwhelming on the first few listens. Gradually of course - and I think everyone is a little like this - I grew to love some and loathe others.

Surprising even myself I enjoy Shangri La the most consistently. I think it's because it tends to groove along even in a laid back way, without going folky or Irish. Mostly!

So tell us which one you like now, why, and what is your memory of first listens?

I'm fascinated by the Bob Dylan fans who have joined and there reactions to the concerts. Honesty can be shocking! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: The Solo albums - which is your fave?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:49 AM »
Difficult, but i guess it is a close call between get lucky and ragpicker for me
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »
Difficult choice between "Ragpicker" and "Get Lucky".    I loved both, almost from the first listen and still do!   :) 

Is it possible to have two votes?   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
Very difficult for me.

I would put GH-SL-TRD-GL on one side and SL-KTGC on the other.

If I had only one choice left if would be then GH although this more a patchwork of songs than a real album.
But AWITN is one of my personnal fave song.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:31:34 AM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »
1. The Ragpicker's Dream
1.b Sailing To Philadelphia
1.c Get Lucky
2. Shangri La
3. Golden Heart
last rank: KTGC

The first three place change from time to time, but one thing I really could say without any doubt is that KTGC ranks on the last place. Not because I would think it is so bad inevitably, it is just that the others mean much more to me!  ;)

LE

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
I think STP and GH is the "best", but GL is better. Interpret as you want.  ;D

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »
Yeah, it's not about "best" as much as what you enjoy more consistently. I guess the nature of these silly polls are frivolous. But as I would still consider myself fairly new to the albums, I'm interested in some of you old timers to see if some really grow on you. Sounds like no such luck for KTGC! ;D
Likewise if there are new fans I'm interested to see if some folk are as horrified by the lack of rock as I was! The laid back folk does take a while to grow, if you've been brought up on a diet of Dire Straits.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
No, it is not so much the lack of rock, it is more the quality of songwriting. I think there are some weak songs on KTGC, it has not so much to do with the way they are recorded or the style they are in, because, in terms of recording it is still an awesome record. But Baloney Again, Wanderlust, One Last Matinee, Fare Thee Well Northumberland, Old Pigweed etc. are real gems, whereas I have problems to name one real gem from KTGC that lasts in my mind.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
Sounds like no such luck for KTGC! ;D

On the contrary.  I love KTGC and listen to it quite a bit, but I think it's one of those albums for which you have to be in the right mood!   I think a lot of the songs are really beautiful and the lyrics are great eg "The Scaffolder's Wife" - I feel sure I know her!  ;D

I had listened to DS since almost the beginning, but with a few DS exceptions, I think I like Mark's solo albums more than DS.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
It's Philadelphia for me, amazing quality and variety of songs, guest artists, fantastic guitar playing, etc. But Ragpicker has really grown on me since I first heard it, it's probably number two these days.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
GH over the others.

Primarily based on the pure "come back"-factor that struck me at the time and then the fact that the Golden Heart B-sides still outplay several of the recent offical album tracks.

But as by this fall my vote will go to whatever album that holds "Corned beef city"  ;D  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Rollergirl

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Philly, closely followed by lucky, but I love them all

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
GH over the others.

Primarily based on the pure "come back"-factor that struck me at the time and then the fact that the Golden Heart B-sides still outplay several of the recent offical album tracks.

I see your point there, and it's a good one. GH is a great "come back-album" and probably far superior than any later album in that point of view. I guess it also was a very important one as it probably kept a lot of the Straits fans even if it was a few steps from it, as the later may have scared off a bunch.

OfflineSirDogg

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
Must be Golden Heart, with Sailing to Philly a close second

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
STP, as this was the first MK album I listened to. But it's very closely followed by Get Lucky.

My ranking would look something like this:

STP
Get Lucky
KTGC
RPD
Shangri-La
Golden Heart (it's not really fair to put it so far below, and I love some of the rockers; but overall, it's just too much "Look I am in LOVE and I need everyone to tell!" for me. Not my kind of thing. Besides, Mark's voice sounds horrible on that one)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 44 queries.