Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler autobiography?  (Read 11339 times)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: Mark Knopfler autobiography?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
Private Investigations - How I found the place where Tyne meets the Delta.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
Lady Writer. Live and Love with a guitar hero. By Kitty Aldridge  ;)

LE

Very nice title indeed. Kitty might as well write about her own husband. After all she probably knows Mark the best. 

How about "  Darling Kitty tells all"  ;)

I enjoyed those 2 books mentioned by BBB.  I remembered when I first got the "Dire Straits" book, I couldn't put it down.

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »
Lady Writer. Live and Love with a guitar hero. By Kitty Aldridge  ;)

LE

Very nice title indeed. Kitty might as well write about her own husband. After all she probably knows Mark the best. 

How about "  Darling Kitty tells all"  ;)

I enjoyed those 2 books mentioned by BBB.  I remembered when I first got the "Dire Straits" book, I couldn't put it down.

That's still my favourite book on Dire Straits.
When I first got that book in my late teens, I used
to look at it on a daily basis. The pictures are superb.
Especially the close ups of Mark with his Strat from the
very early gigs. It's a pity some of those pics weren't in colour!
Shame there's not more books on our great man really.

Cheers BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
man, i only got the Mike Oldfield one in french, and my french maybe good, but at times i just miss stuff,....if anyone sees it in english on ebay or whereever, buy it and i will pay+shipping...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Rollergirl

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
man, i only got the Mike Oldfield one in french, and my french maybe good, but at times i just miss stuff,....if anyone sees it in english on ebay or whereever, buy it and i will pay+shipping...

I bought mine through Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Dire-Straits-Michael-Oldfield/dp/0688025145/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1319967985&sr=8-4

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »

I see it in ebay quite often. You can save the search and as soon as one shows, you
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
There is one on German ebay at the mo.

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
i don't do ebay...LE, can you do me a favor?? or is it second hand? don't want no second hand.....

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dire-Straits-by-Michael-Oldfield-1984-Paperback-Illustrated-/200667043333?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item2eb8b01605

Well, it is obviously second hand. I wonder how you will ever get your hand on this book not second hand??  ;)

The description is not very exact. It is kept in general describing possible little dog-ears etc... The price is 19 $ (would be 13,40

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »
i don't do ebay...LE, can you do me a favor?? or is it second hand? don't want no second hand.....

Pottel you amaze me! No second hand stuff at all, or just books? How have you managed to gather this collection of yours? Some of the records must have come out even before you were born (Pink Floyd and Dylan)  Anyway this book is out of print since the 80ies, and for a good reason, not enough mad people (call them fans) to buy a dated book. It just covers the years up to Alchemy. (it has been quite some time since I read it, surely no BiA onwards). I believe I have a second copy somewhere, but of course I bought it used and used it some more. ;D
I really lost any appetite for such readings, trying to focus to actual music. That was the reason I adored Belle and Sebastian the first years. They kept such a low profile, that even the most dedicated fans knew little about the lives of the members.
Anyway back to DS: Amazon, alibris and Abebooks have many copies for sale. Find the best combination of price and condition and buy it. It is the best solution. I took a look for mint condition you might have to pay 100 Euros. Mine is just Very good.

But I would certainly buy an autobiography. If MK was keeping a diary, it would be great to know his side of the story about Bob Dylan, Randy Newman and Aztec Camera, Steely Dan and Eric Clapton and all the rest. I certainly would not care for his personal life. But you can put the pieces back together from the numerous interviews so no need to make a big fuss about it anyway.

Working title for a patential biography: Why Mark Knopfler?  ;D

I was reading the book "Written in my soul" with interviews by many artists among them MK and BD, Paul Simon and many others that are just as famous and mentioned in AMIT. Very interesting read, Dylan is asked about a song he played to MK at these hotel sessions (a recording never surfaced) called Prison Guard. Another holy grail for Pottel maybe?      
At another Greek magazine, I found an interview containing some working titles for the songs that ended up in LoG. Most of them are really easy to understand which finished song represent, and there are two curios, that lead me to the conclusion that TR originally were two songs, and INR gave some of the lyrics to ID. So here they are and if you know something about them let me know. Maybe they have also surfaced elsewhere.
 1.Telegraph road 2. I like to go to work 3. Industrial disease 4. Worth your while 5. It never rains 6. You walk out on a high wire 7. Music
At this very interview he finds Alan Clark's help important since he is the only one that can write the different parts of orchestration. If I find some spare time I will translate this and 3 more interviews from the greek magazines (from 1979-1985)                                              
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:52:11 PM by VGONIS2002 »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
those hotel sessions were never taped apparently. according to Ed Bicknell...who was there.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
Yes, pity isn't it? Many great things never get recorded. It is the definition of spontaneity. The best things happen when you least expect them. The best songs the best discussions. But the fact is that this is also the fabric that the fantastic bootlegs are made of. Artist do not know they are on record and act more natural. Scripta manent, verba volant.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
Pottel, Michael Oldfield
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »
Well, we must gather signatures for a new revised edition, then. It is the only way to have brand new copies!

I am really fond of the 33 1/3 series of books by Continuum, that each of them is dedicated to a great album. Even though not all books are great, some of them are way too out of focus and I do have my doubts about the albums selected, you should check them out - I can give you my opinion before buying any of them, at least for many of them , but what I am saying no DS or MK alums, and they have reached the 80th book.   Maybe we should ask for one, or anybody ready to undergo such a task?

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Hey Pottel,

if you want me to do anything on ebay just send me a pm! I doubt you want this book, but of course I would give it a try for you!

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 46 queries.