Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: interview with DK  (Read 8271 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
interview with DK
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
recent interview:
(in german, got no time to translate now, any volunteers?)
General-Anzeiger: Ihre Club-Konzerte sind in der Regel ausverkauft. Ist das die Atmosph
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

Rollergirl

Re: interview with DK
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
funny you should post that today Pottel, I had a dream last night in which you and DK were in! (and also Ingridswing!) LOL  :lol

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
wow,....mindblowing..... :lol

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Sad, I think.
I can understand why they broke up in DS days - must not be easy to exist next to such a creative force as Mark.
Yet, in 1983 the two broters seemed reconciled as Mark played on David's first album... but this was never done again. So there must have been a second break up. Maybe because of the massive success of the BiA album and DS going into the pop direction, which David may have been disgusted with ?
Anyway, over the years, Mark and David's philosophies seem to have come closer: more initimated music, no more stadium rock, etc. So, why no relationship after all these years ? Maybe because, as I think DK mentionned once, he considers that Mark has done charity concerts to promote his own album.... Still, that's not a valid explanation.
If Roger Waters and David Gilmour, after 20 years spent trowing their toys at each other, can now play together and hug each other on stage, why can't the Knopfler brothers ? Is Mark that strange of a guy, as David hints in this interview ?

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
We should leave that to them in private. Who really needs David back? Mark is so brilliant at the moment, every collaboration would just mean a break in his creative process he is in.

Sometimes I think that both of them just play with us telling every journalist that they don't speak to each other anymore. On the other hand, it is not that rare and seldom that people split up forever, as sad as it might be. Mark is a strong character, and I think after all we read and heard about him the last decades it is indeed fair to think that it is probably not easy to get along with him. But again, I do not want to marry him, I am just interested in his musical output.

LE

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
Well, actually, it's ok for me now (kinda selfish ;D ). I like both DK and MK's music and I don't see the problem they don't play together anymore. They're both great songwriters and performers, though they prefer a different setting.

Personally I prefer the DK gigs as they're quite 'small' contrary to the MK stadium gigs. Maybe a collaboration will have a 'negative' effect on a creative process, I don't know. But it doesn't necessarily mean DK influences MK in a bad way. It could happen the other way round... Don't know. I'm glad they both went their own way and doing what they like to do and are good at, making music. :)

Tomorrow I'll attend the show in Bonn, next week MK & BD. :D

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
Who really needs David back?

I like his sound on the live recordings.
But as a DS member there was no room for him as a co leader.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
I actually kind of like DK's music.  He sounds quite like Mark especially when he sings Wild West End.  It's too bad that all these years the 2 of them haven't amended their relationship.  Must have been hard for the family.  :(

Jackal

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:01 AM »
Must have been hard for the family.  :(

Indeed ...

Though they both have changed much over the years, David is probably the one who has stayed closer to his (and Mark's) roots in that he is more outspoken politically and socially (check out his webiste). Not that Mark and Dire Straits were particularly political, but I think Mark with his success and wealth and upperclass lifestyle has become a type of person that David would feel uncomfortable hanging around. There might of course be a hint of jealousy too on David's part. If on top of that, he feels that he has not received money he is entitled too, I guess there is not much to build or rebuild a relationship on.

But it is possible, though. Been through a breakdown and rebuilding of the relationship with my own brother. It takes forgiveness and willingness to forget, on both sides.

As for Mark and David, I have no need to see them performing together, but as people that have been with us for a large part of our lives, it would have been heartwarming to see them reconcile.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
Well said, Jackal.
Yes, it must have been hard for the family, which I understand was very united and happy during Mark and David's childhood.

Maybe Mark could look at Roger Waters example. The no-so-bad-guy-after-all who admitted publically that he had been grumpy and childish, that although Dave and him did not have much in commun both philosophically and musically, they did great things together, that he is a superb guitarist and an essential contributor to all of Floyd best records... I found this very touching indeed.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
Does everyone here understand german? I don't  :(
So Long

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »
Does everyone here understand german? I don't  :(
I don't either, but I believe in Google translation ;)
Although... I'm not dumb at German to the extend of not knowing that "Nein" means "no" and not "yes"... Google translated DK's answer as "Yes", making me feel for a while that he said he still had a relationship with his brother !!!???

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »
Pottel
Editor
maestro

interview with DK
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
All the venues he played in Spain were theaters and venues like that, 40.000 people is impossible, that will be a big football stadium full of people...

I never use google translator, unless I wanna have a laugh, its always very funny to translate the same text five or six times, and using different languages if possible, the final result is hilarious!
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 45 queries.