Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on tour with Bob Dylan???  (Read 93558 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Mark on tour with Bob Dylan???
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
I feel a bit disappointed too, but I do like a lot of Dylan's work and have listened to him and bought his albums since 1961, but never seen him in concert.   

This concert would be a great opportunity to see him, especially with MK, as I don't think there will be too many more opportunities in the future to see them together.   

I have heard lots of reports on various forums about his arrogance and rudeness, not to mention his terrible voice, but I would still like to see for myself, before it's too late!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
That said, I don't believe it is true....

I have a hard time believing it too, for the following reasons:

1) Mark is no rock n roller anymore (never was really). Don't know about Dylan and his gang, but on the whole, I have a feeling their intake of intoxicating substances is a tad higher than what Mark and his band are accustomed to.

2) Mark goes first class in everything he does: travel, food, equipment, accommodation, personnel, etc. Don't know how Dylan operates, but I think the way Mark's tours are organized is hard to beat, and there's no way he'd settle for less. Lugging across the UK and Europe in a touring bus (if that's the case) is not an option anymore.

3) Mark has been and always will be the benign dictator of his kingdom. Even with Emmylou onboard, I don't think anyone doubted who was in charge. Think he wants to be subject to His Bobness or even co-rule with him? Have another think.

4) Mark and Bob are no obvious partners. They did those projects yonks ago, but since then, has there been any contact? (Pottel?) With Emmylou there was at least a long-term recording process prior to the tour.

5) Even a double-headliner thing seems a strange option. What kind of material would Mark present now? New? Too early. Older? Just did it last year.

There are probably more arguments, but I really think it is unlikely this is the big news. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though!

Then again: Maybe he thinks "why the heck not? Why not break the routine, get out those leather pants, grow myself a ponytail (the delay!), and go rockin'!"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:18:09 PM by Jackal »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Never seen the appeal of Bob musically. I understand his status in popular culture but that's it for me. I would much prefer JJ Cale as a duet. Still if the tickets are reasonable I will probably go in the hope MK might do something a bit different (i.e. give the celtic stuff a rest) or even some new stuff.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
Jackal, I find it hard to disagree with any of your well made points. They are all compelling.

I think this rumour has gained ground because of it's somewhat romantic appeal in sending both artists to a former glory they have both moved on from. I hope the rumor becomes fact, because I think Mark needs a dose of Bob like Paul needed a dose of John, and vice versa.

Not sure about 'never been a rock and roller' though - you just got to watch him singing alongside Scotty Moore and playing an impeccable solo whilst Albert Lee is beside him, to know he's got the Roll! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:46 PM »

1) Mark is no rock n roller anymore (never was really). Don't know about Dylan and his gang, but on the whole, I have a feeling their intake of intoxicating substances is a tad higher than what Mark and his band are accustomed to.

2) Mark goes first class in everything he does: travel, food, equipment, accommodation, personnel, etc. Don't know how Dylan operates, but I think the way Mark's tours are organized is hard to beat, and there's no way he'd settle for less. Lugging across the UK and Europe in a touring bus (if that's the case) is not an option anymore.

3) Mark has been and always will be the benign dictator of his kingdom. Even with Emmylou onboard, I don't think anyone doubted who was in charge. Think he wants to be subject to His Bobness or even co-rule with him? Have another think.

4) Mark and Bob are no obvious partners. They did those projects yonks ago, but since then, has there been any contact? (Pottel?) With Emmylou there was at least a long-term recording process prior to the tour.

5) Even a double-headliner thing seems a strange option. What kind of material would Mark present now? New? Too early. Older? Just did it last year.

There are probably more arguments, but I really think it is unlikely this is the big news. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though!

Then again: Maybe he thinks "why the heck not? Why not break the routine, get out those leather pants, grow myself a ponytail (the delay!), and go rockin'!"

Jackal, this is the funniest post I read for ages  in a forum where there are a lot of funny posts..
I still have tears in my eyes...  :lol
Thanks a lot, you made my day!

Ponytail...      ;D ;D ;D ;D

LE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:25:26 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
Maybe he could go for the Leningrad Cowboys look.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Jackal

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »

A self-fulfilling prophecy?

There'll Be A Change In The Weather And A Change In The Scene
 I'm Gonna Start Wearin' Leather And Change My Routine
 I'll Wear Dark Glasses Maybe A Toupee
 I'll Get Down And Boogie And Become Risque
 I'll Start Wearin' Make-Up Like Jackson And Prince
 You'll See Me Ridin' In My Mercedes Benz
 Nobody Wants You When You
[hardly] Play Guitar [and sing folky ballads loaded with whistles, fiddles and citterns]
There'll Be Some Changes Made Tomorrow
 There'll Be Some Changes Made

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »
I heard the idea was to tour together in a bus, but its something that I can
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »

A self-fulfilling prophecy?

There'll Be A Change In The Weather And A Change In The Scene
 I'm Gonna Start Wearin' Leather And Change My Routine
 I'll Wear Dark Glasses Maybe A Toupee
 I'll Get Down And Boogie And Become Risque
 I'll Start Wearin' Make-Up Like Jackson And Prince
 You'll See Me Ridin' In My Mercedes Benz
 Nobody Wants You When You
[hardly] Play Guitar [and sing folky ballads loaded with whistles, fiddles and citterns]
There'll Be Some Changes Made Tomorrow
 There'll Be Some Changes Made

;D
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »

none.
Bob tours in a bus, and stays in normal (still expensive) hotels. but who says they need to hang out all the time?
mark has a humonguous respect for Bob, but it works both ways in this particular case, so i guesss it will be a co-dictatorship :-)
don't think there was much contact since feb 1986, but here i know not much more..

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
I have to say, a recording collaboration strikes me as more likely and also more appealing than a tour in some respects. But that would not explain the long break, or fit with the other info. But then the whole idea still seems pretty odd  ;D

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
The big news is Bob Dylan!
I saw him playing about a couple of years ago, very grumpy guy!

BTW, Guy will be playing in Eddie Jordan's band at Silverstone.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
The big news is Bob Dylan!
I saw him playing about a couple of years ago, very grumpy guy!

BTW, Guy will be playing in Eddie Jordan's band at Silverstone.

MK can seem grumpy at times too though - especially if you eat his sausages :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
Interesting comment I've just seen on the Dylan forum.  Note the last two sentences!

I'd say you Europeans have the best of both worlds. I prefer Bob alone as well but I couldn't think of a better co-headliner. Mark Knopfler is amazing and brilliant. The last few times I've seen him, his band could easy blow Bob's band out of the water. And I love Bob's band. So don't be hating on Mark. The only downside will be ticket prices since Mark's an overpriced greedy bastard. Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
Is it just me? if this is true, i'm really not that excited by it, I seem to be one of the view people who is just not into Bob Dylan, and as Guy keeps on pointing out, Mark is always looking forward, why would he go back to working with Dylan after all these years, unless there is new music to play!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 44 queries.