Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What  (Read 19139 times)

Jackal

Re: Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
Well, not everything on it is a masterpiece, and it bears resemblance to Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints musically, but I just found there was something fresh about the whole thing.

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »
I prefer Bob's music too!  To be honest, I found the Paul Simon album rather dull and boring, apart from one or two songs, but maybe it needs more than three listens.  ;)

You found this dull and boring, but you like Before Gas and TV???  ::)

;D

OH, Before Gas & TV: Masterpiece! One of MK's most soulful songs! You can hear the north sea waves literally breaking to the stony coast at "at the edge of the world"... It is recorded in one take and you can hear that from the very first note or second... And the lyrics are deeply honest and melancholic about "In the past, everything was better..." Oh, I could go off topic for ages only because of this masterpiece...

This track and the Get Lucky track alone are worth the buy of the album!

;)

LE

Jackal

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »
I prefer Bob's music too!  To be honest, I found the Paul Simon album rather dull and boring, apart from one or two songs, but maybe it needs more than three listens.  ;)

You found this dull and boring, but you like Before Gas and TV???  ::)

;D

OH, Before Gas & TV: Masterpiece! One of MK's most soulful songs! You can hear the north sea waves literally breaking to the stony coast at "at the edge of the world"... It is recorded in one take and you can hear that from the very first note or second... And the lyrics are deeply honest and melancholic about "In the past, everything was better..." Oh, I could go off topic for ages only because of this masterpiece...

This track and the Get Lucky track alone are worth the buy of the album!

;)

LE

OK, the song itself isn't too terrible, it's just boring. But Mark's singing - it's horrible on this one. I know he has improved since the muddy and muffled days of Golden Heart, but he just doesn't have the voice to produce those long, high and haunting Celtic tones. He tries so hard, but he sounds like he's eaten something that's causing him severe pain in the bowels.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
I think his singing is perfect for this song, it really fits the atmosphere of the place. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
NO!!!  >:(

;D

Love Expresso

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »
Funny how opinions can differ.. Everytime he starts singing that song I really get the shivers.. in a positive way of course... And I think everytime I hear it
"Wow, how great his singing is, compared to the Golden Heart days..."

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
Funny how opinions can differ.. Everytime he starts singing that song I really get the shivers.. in a positive way of course... And I think everytime I hear it
"Wow, how great his singing is, compared to the Golden Heart days..."

LE

Me too!   I get goosebumps!    :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
I honestly can't understand why someone would call Paul's melodies dull and boring, and think Dylan is a musical genius!! For me, Bob's melodies are the ones that are dull and boring and put me to sleep. His stuff all sounds the same to me. He has some very interesting lyrics but I prefer to read them in a book rather than listening to his dreadful voice. Sorry. And sorry Dusty but Bob is annoying for me. And what's even more annoying is all that "OMG Bob is a GENIUS" talk. Give me a break  >:( Oh well, people have different musical standards... If Bob's melodies OR a dull MK song like "Before Gas and TV" (there are quite a few others btw.. I had a kind of cultural shock when I first listened to the STP album because the song structures all felt too simple for someone who's been listening to Paul Simon all her life) are enough to keep you excited, fine  :P
And yes, I personally put Paul Simon over MK.

As for Pauls newer songs, you really should listen more closely. There are so many layers and textures in his songs. All the stuff he has learned from those foreign cultures. His songs must be listened to with headphones, and not during gardening...

So, can we get back to "So Beautiful Or So What" in here?  ::)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:08:20 PM by goldenheart96 »

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
I wasn't gardening at the time I was listening to the album!    I was listening very carefully, but my mind eventually wandered to the garden, due to extreme boredom!  It was a very long 38 minutes!   ::)

I didn't say Dylan is a musical genius, just that I prefer his music to Paul Simon's.   I feel about Paul Simon's music, exactly as you feel about Dylan, soporific!    To me there is far more variety in Dylan's music and I never tire of listening to his songs, whereas Paul Simon's music is pretty samey to me!   I'm not too keen on the African vibes, to be honest, but you obviously do, so that's fine!  You are entitled to your opinion, just the same as I am!   I did say, however, that I like his lyrics!   :)

This is a forum and we all have our different views - that's what forums are for! If we all felt the same, there wouldn't be much to discuss!  ;)  

Maybe you are just too sophisticated for MK's simple songs!   ;)   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:42:38 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
Superval, I didn't mean to get personal, sorry if I did. I get annoyed very easily when it comes to Bob. If you like his stuff that's fine of course!
Just sometimes I think that some people - not all - who listen to him only do because he is THE genius and it's intellectually cool to listen to Bob. I certainly don't claim to be sophisticated but I just can't see why Bob is superior and his melodies and writing is THE greatest. I have given him quite a few chances so I know what I'm talking about - just to prevent some replies a la "Oh you have NO idea"  ;D

As for MK vs. Paul, I do think Paul is more versatile. Shangri-La is soo boring compared to "Rhythm Of The Saints" - but then, I like them both, in different ways  :)

So, I have just read Paul's setlist - he started his tour in Seattle last night. Very exciting to see "The Obvious Child" back in the setlist after almost 20 years!  :o

Jackal

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
Goldenheart, if I wasn't married, I'd propose to you ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »
That's OK, Goldenheart!   :)    Just one thing, though - why compare, in particular "Shangri-La" to  "Rhythm of the Saints"?   MK has written so many beautiful albums, as you are well aware, so why that one?  

BTW You say you have been listening to Paul Simon all of your life.   I have been listening to Bob for most of my life too, it began when I was 19 yrs - that's nearly 50 years of listening, so I do know quite a lot about his music!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:21:57 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »
And what's even more annoying is all that "OMG Bob is a GENIUS" talk. Give me a break   

But Bob IS a GENIUS!!
And yes, I personally put Paul Simon over MK.

Btw, is there a nice Paul Simon Fan Forum, comparable to this one? Just thinkin'...   ::)

LE

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
Yes LE, there is a nice Paul Simon forum. Sorry for criticising your divine Bob here, heading over to paul-simon.info where people understand me  ::)

I thought this was a pro-Paul Simon thread???

And Superval, I see. I understand why Bob has a special meaning to you. Oh, I didn't know why I picked Shangri-La and ROTS... I know MK has made lots of great albums and I love them but when it comes to musical textures, I think Paul is more versatile.. I think it was mentioned earlier that MK could also need some new input. It would be very interesting to hear his unique playing with some African rhythms!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:16:48 AM by goldenheart96 »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 53 queries.