Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What  (Read 19129 times)

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:29 AM »
Listen to So Beautiful or So What, new album from Paul Simon.
http://www.stream.sobeautifulorsowhat.com

Release is planned for April. Vinyl and hi-res 24/96 digital download will be available.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Re: Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »
Can't effin' wait! Paul Simon is my all-time favourite songwriter (sorry MK). Going to see him live this summer, too!

Jackal

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
Great! He's got some really great stuff. Love his Rhythm of the Saints album.

Wish Mark would make something that sounds like this. So fresh! Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:31:02 PM by Jackal »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
I love how the opening groove reminds of Mark playing with Bill Odiie!! :)

Paul is always over analytical, but this vid is exciting, it does sound fresh.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Jackal

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
Here's another one. Love it. The black guitar player seems to play the MK Strat.

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
Wish Mark would make something that sounds like this. So fresh! Fingers crossed.

Exactly what i thought, Jakal.
I sometimes think that MK should maybe try to work with others than always Chuck Ainlay and .... may I dare to say.... Guy..... just to get another SOUND.
But that could kick off another Sound discussion which I do not want to start here. It is just my opinion that MK sounds sometimes too polished...
The material is still great and awesome, of course, it is just about sound of the album itself. Good examples from MK's work for what I like are: Secondary Waltz, The Fish and the Bird, Before Gas & TV, Sucker Row, Donegan's Gone...

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:44 AM »
You can also stream here:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/1

Looks like an MK strat sort of, but isn't the headstock too big? Too small to see in that video.

I've also been listening to the new Steve Earle album produced by T-Bone Burnett. After a series of albums produced by Earle himself it's a refreshing change. I agree that it would be interesting to hear MK produced by someone who could bring somethin different to the table, T-Bone, Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois etc.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Jackal

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »

You can also stream here:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/1

Thanks! Love this stuff.

Looks like an MK strat sort of, but isn't the headstock too big? Too small to see in that video.

Yeah, looks like a 70s style headstock. Hm ... Wonder what that is.

I've also been listening to the new Steve Earle album produced by T-Bone Burnett. After a series of albums produced by Earle himself it's a refreshing change. I agree that it would be interesting to hear MK produced by someone who could bring somethin different to the table, T-Bone, Rick Rubin, Daniel Lanois etc.

I sometimes think that MK should maybe try to work with others than always Chuck Ainlay and .... may I dare to say.... Guy..... just to get another SOUND.
But that could kick off another Sound discussion which I do not want to start here. It is just my opinion that MK sounds sometimes too polished...
The material is still great and awesome, of course, it is just about sound of the album itself.

Couldn't agree more wit both of you. Chances are rather slim, I think, that Mark would let someone else give him directions regarding his own songs and albums. I also agre about Guy. As much as I like the fellow, he is very smooth.

Jackal

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:06:12 PM »
I just keep listening to this stream over and over. I'm absolutely mesmerized. Gotta buy it. It's a bit short, only 40 minutes or so. But in a way that's nice, because it makes it easier to listen to the whole album in one go.

Rollergirl

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »

Exactly what i thought, Jakal.
The material is still great and awesome, of course, it is just about sound of the album itself. Good examples from MK's work for what I like are: Secondary Waltz, The Fish and the Bird, Before Gas & TV, Sucker Row, Donegan's Gone...
Well, at the risk of losing  my title of President, I must say that I agree

Jackal

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
[...] MK knows what he wants.

And herein lies the problem. Ever since the early days, Mark has always been strong-willed and had a strong sense of what he wanted. This has of course to a large extent been very successful. I mean, he is a world-class artist still going strong after all these years! But I would dare to argue that by following only his own vision has also limited him. And the long-term close cooperation with Guy, who's more synth and pop oriented, I'm not so sure has been such a good idea.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
I really like the Paul Simon album overall. A good return to form after the lacklustre Surprise.

The slow solo songs were a bit boring but I enjoyed all the more upbeat ones. Wasn't really listening properly though so maybe the solo ones will grow on me.

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
I heard "Dazzling Blue" being played on at least three different radio stations here in Germany the last few days. It seems this new Paul Simon album is highly anticipated, not only by his fans. I am listening to the album right now, sounds great.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Dazzling Blue was definitely one of the best on the album.

Jackal

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
Take away the African elements and the background vocals, and Dazzling Blue could have been something Mark could have written.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 57 queries.