Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DIAAAAAAAAARY  (Read 38220 times)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Re: DIAAAAAAAAARY
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
Hmm perhaps no Danny means no drums at all?  :o It seems unlikely but I wonder why this possibility popped into my head... Also, I am so NOT excited about Paul Franklin's return. I know he is a fab musician but these news give me having horror visions of a new album with a buttload of wailing slide guitar sounds. EEEEK!  :o :o

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Hmm perhaps no Danny means no drums at all?  :o

I have a small idea that Ian Thomas can play drums :)

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
Hmm perhaps no Danny means no drums at all?  :o

I have a small idea that Ian Thomas can play drums :)

Hehe sorry, I didn't read the previous messages/diary entries  ;D

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Hmm perhaps no Danny means no drums at all?  :o It seems unlikely but I wonder why this possibility popped into my head... Also, I am so NOT excited about Paul Franklin's return. I know he is a fab musician but these news give me having horror visions of a new album with a buttload of wailing slide guitar sounds. EEEEK!  :o :o

Ian Thomas is on drums
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Love Expresso

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
Guy said of poor Matt that he was only Jim's stand-in!  Well he was certainly with us for a lot longer than Jim was and deserves a bit more respect than that.  It seems that the current member is the best member in Guy's world.  Danny was the best drummer ever not so long ago but what's Guy saying now?

I seriously thought about Matt and maybe I (and maybe also Danny) is gone on his (their) own accord. Maybe Danny was looking for more than only "hittin them hard" at Speedway and Telegraph and playing the same set list more or less. Sultans had no development for him since the 2005 tour. The same with Matt: All his solos were on Romeo, Telegraph and Brothers, playing Accordeon on Bonaparte and so on. Maybe they were tired of MK... Matt for sure is a established musician. Of course it is always a privilege to be called to play with MK, but when you have done it for two or three tours long, why not change?

And maybe MK isn't always THAT easy to stand with all his perfection and maybe cold behaviour when it comes to request and musical expectations...
And be honest, the quantity of the band members' creative input is not THAT great - whatever Mark and Guy say about "different every night..."

Pure speculation of course, but when I see it in this light, a personal change seems more natural...

And be fair to the old Doc: He gave Danny the opportunity to send us some lines in his forum. He didn't say anything negative about him and also not about Matt. It is more that he said ... nothing about old Matty... No ginger tea anymore after-show, I'm afraid...

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 12:46:27 AM »
Matt is indeed a top session musician, but let's look at what that actually means - he takes work playing on American Idol and The X Factor. I'm not passing judgement on that AT ALL. He is a working musician and I respect him for going out and working and feeding his young family.

But the idea that he would pass up steady work with MK because his solos didn't change is crazy.

Perhaps he turned it down because he wants to work closer to home, but not because he got bored of the music. He's a working musician.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
Still crazy after all those years...
Ok, the non-touring aspect in terms of staying at home was what I was trying to say, also I tried to describe the "looking for new challenges" musically. Maybe that's more what I wanted to say. Yes, he is a top session musician, but shouldn't "top" also mean that he can choose what he wants and doesn't have to take any offer? But I have no idea about the current situation of employment in session muso circles...  Matt was on Golden Heart once and has returned, so maybe he will return in the future once again...

I was thinking: If Guy should ever leave the band (or had to), and whatever you would think of it musicalwise, it would be a big loss for all of us if you take the diaries and the forum alone. Most of the information we have these days is NOT from MKNews or so but it all goes through the Guy channel. Let's hope
it will go on happily in the future for the next few years.  :)

LE
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:26:14 AM by Love Expresso »

draad

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
As ever, Dusty is right! I think we can be pretty sure that Matt did not turn down the chance to record with MK again. Excellent musician that he obviously is, he has been well and truly dropped.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:24:28 AM by Imabigfantoo »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
As ever, Dusty is right! I think we can be pretty sure that Matt did not turn down the chance to record with MK again. Excellent musician that he obviously is, he has been well and truly dropped.

Remember, Matt was brought in because Jim wasn't well enough to play/travel. It could be that MK said at the time "Sorry to lose you Jim, but as soon as you are well agasin, you can have your place back." And now he's feeling better, MK feels honour bound to stick to it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
The return of "The best pedal steel player in the world, Paul Franklin" is great, plus if he tours with Mark, its adds to the chance that Mark might play You and Your Friend live again  :) plus, I always liked Paul's solo in Walk of Life.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
Diary 4 is coming!

Since there's so much more to tell and upload, please turn to page 4

http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/2011MKStudio/Diary_Page_4
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
The return of "The best pedal steel player in the world, Paul Franklin" is great, plus if he tours with Mark, its adds to the chance that Mark might play You and Your Friend live again  :) plus, I always liked Paul's solo in Walk of Life.

And On Every Street! :)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Diary 4 is coming!

Since there's so much more to tell and upload, please turn to page 4

http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/2011MKStudio/Diary_Page_4

Sounds very good! This is exciting days! :D
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Remember, Matt was brought in because Jim wasn't well enough to play/travel. It could be that MK said at the time "Sorry to lose you Jim, but as soon as you are well agasin, you can have your place back." And now he's feeling better, MK feels honour bound to stick to it.

Yeah, after I read Guy's line about Jim's boring journey on a container ship to get back to the US after MK's accident, I thought, wow, MK really owes this guy something... Even if he couldn't anything about the crash...  :lol

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 47 queries.