Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A mark in time  (Read 7797 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: A mark in time
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »
don't forget DAVID GILMOUR sound ! unique too

That bending is unique, really.
So Long

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
It is Brad Paisley, Superval.     I can't imagine why those videos are blocked in the UK.    You would think that more exposure equals more fans.   Ah well.   
I'm not a guitar expert and you guys listen to a lot more guitarists than I do.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
Some of BP's videos are blocked in Greece as well, but still some of them are up.
How about Neil Young? He has a unique tone, even when he plays acoustic, and certainly Brian May. Peter Green has been copied heavily and that is why you can't tell, but he is the real thing. And even Jeff Beck can be considered unique, even though i think of him as a guitar chameleon. He was the only guitarist that without imitating Gilmour's sound, fitted so well at Roger Waters' "Amused to death" album.  In "Private dancer" he was just as good as MK, and the albums he released in the seventies were masterpieces.  My all time favorite instrumental guitar piece is "because we ended as lovers". (though the song is fabulous with Syrretta as well). And how about the Tom Verlain-Richard Lloyd duo from Television, or Stephen Malcmus of Pavement.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineAl

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »
David Rawlings is one of a kind. When he attcks his weird and wonderful ancient guitar, I get chills.

OfflineBrass Monkey Date

• Guitar George
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
And how about the Tom Verlain-Richard Lloyd duo from Television, or Stephen Malcmus of Pavement.

Oh man, Tom Verlaine - my favorite guitarist.  Seeing him and Lloyd wail away at each other live is a religious experience.  Andy Gill of Gang of Four is another one with a very identifiable style.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but Verlaine really gets my blood up.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »
Too bad they only released 3 albums and a live one, but as far as I know they never sold that good, no matter how influential they were considered. Tom's albums are great but a bit of an acquired taste- more difficult for a wide audience, while Lloyd's one album I know is a bit of a let down. But even when he guessed at Patti Smith's concert a couple of years back (in Athens I saw them), fans were asking for Verlaine numbers. That proves a lot. Imagine my enthusiasm 10 years ago, when a dear friend of mine attended the first ATP and, knowing my passion for them,  brought me back a fully signed ATP program, by all Television members! And as I wrote in another post, Tom's guitar sound is the closest to MK's, on the rough side. But worlds apart when it comes to tastes of music. Tom has NY sound, while MK, is more C&W fan. But good to know that there are other people joining the dots between these two greats. ;)

OfflineBrass Monkey Date

• Guitar George
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
I'm passionate about a diverse range of music, but Television and the Replacements are the two bands dearest to my heart.  I'd never made the connection between Knopfler and Verlaine though.  You mentioned Call Mr. Lee in the other thread and, yeah, I can definitely make a connection there.  I'm sure I'll make more as I continue to explore the music of DS/MK.

I've got most of Verlaine's solo albums, including the compilation; I think I'm only missing three of the ten.  I've also got three of Lloyd's, including his official live release.  It's strange, I love Television so much and I believe Verlaine was the dominant force in that band, but his solo stuff has been very difficult for me to get into.  It has always left me cold and boy I've tried to dig it.  Funny enough, I much prefer Lloyd's solo work.  I like his solo songs better than Verlaine's, though I prefer Verlaine's vocals.  You might want to investigate solo Lloyd.  The live record - Real Time - is fantastic, as is Cover Doesn't Matter.  I don't think I ever found his first two, but I know they are highly regarded.

I have a couple of Verlaine shows (and a stack of Television) on my hard drive:
* Rouen, France 1987 (with a band) - includes a 20 minute version of Marquee Moon!!!!!)
* Philadelphia 1990 - a solo acoustic show with great versions of Smoother Than Jones, Words From The Front, Stalingrad and Glory.

I also have a solo acoustic Lloyd show from 1997 that is very nice.

I'm not very technologically astute but if you're interested, I could try to figure out how to get these shows to you.  I know the CD burner on my PC doesn't work and the files are large.  Maybe sendspace or something like that would work.

Tom has NY sound, while MK, is more C&W fan. But good to know that there are other people joining the dots between these two greats. ;)

I was really surprised by the C&W influence in some of MK's songs.  I think it's great.  Merle Haggard is my favorite country artist and I think Whoop De Doo could easily be a Haggard song.  I also think it takes really big balls to write and record the line "I'm tickety-boo"  :D I've really gotta admire Mark's courage for that one, and I'm being totally serious.  8)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
didn't merle and Mark record a song, got it somewhere, ...
i know that feeling too BMD, not too long ago (year or so) i finally "found a way" into Richard Thompson, and boy a cruise it was. awesome player, funny onstage as well, and an admirer of mark (and vice versa) and of Bob (even though he had a strange experience whilst playing for him at the Sevilla Guitar greatest concert back in the eary nineties.

Same goes for Leo Kottke, years ago my uncle told me that ,as i like knopfler so much, i would surely dig kottke, and i didn't , back then, then recently (2 or 3 yrs ago) tried again. and have been downloading his shows and buying his cd's ever since, also funny to read the story of him meeting with Mark during the 2010 Get Lucky tour someplace in the US (you can find the story in Tim O'brien's tour diary)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 12:36:22 PM »
BMD, it is always a pleasure to find somebody with passion for music. And I mean with tastes well beyond the usual hit-pop-chart stuff. Too bad that here in Greece I can't find many people to even meet and listen together and discuss about these things. And now with the crisis on top, it is sure hard even to enjoy music.
Someone said that the live shows of MK and BD remind them of religious-spiritual gatherings. I guess in a way the concerts are the new church. And that is part of a reason I DON'T like them that much any more. I like small venues, up to 500 people, I like the band hanging out with the audience afterwards, like friends, and yes, I like admiration but not worshiping. Fans many times have a twisted view and listening perspective, and this is bad for the artist and the music.
Anyway, I am getting carried away, what I mean is that the glorious days of the music boom, with countless indie labels and fine "corporate" releases, are over. The plethora of music you can find is so great that you can hardly focus on any to enjoy it. I find myself listening for the first time to records I bought 5 years ago! Of course it is not only because of the music business situation, I am growing older, having children is a fantastic thing but you have less time, and working your ass off to make ends meet is a sad situation, especially when you don't see any solid results for the future. That is why your enthusiasm fired up my enthusiasm! Thank you for that. 
As for Television, I have the first Lloyd album, field of fire, but I was not impressed. But I will look up for the ones you mention. I have most of Verlaine's albums but due to the above situation, I have lost track of his work since 2001. But I adore Words from the front, his debut and Dreamtime, while Warm and Cool is the sound I much prefer now.  I read about his "twins" albums released some 5 years ago but, there is  no difference buying or downloading, since I can't find the time to listen to them. But sure, if I don't find them, I will let you know and we can work something out! By the way, you might like some of the late Wilco albums. Their guitar solo structures share the same pattern with Television's. Try "Sky blue sky" (and also there is a live called Kicking Television.  :lol) . In a way they manage to bring together their original Americana with pop. In a more loose over view you can say that it is a younger man's mixture of MK with TV.  ;)

Pottel, you are trully an information well! You mention somewhere an MK collaboration with J.J.Cale  (Merle Haggard was a joke? if not let me know about it) Is there a recording? Funny you should mention J.J. Cale, we all know the musical - journalistic connections with MK but it is funny because yesterday it was a J.J.Cale day for me. I listened to 4 of his albums back to back and only had to stop for my daughters. ;D     

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
I just saw that RL has an album called Alchemy!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
i know they (JJ and MArk) played together, as their is a famous pic of them two onstage, i contacted JJ's manager, and he told me he took that pic, and yes indeed they shared the stage, but no he has no recording of it.........

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the info! I looked for the date but the closest was 17-9-1985, but of course no 14th with J.J. Too bad, eventhough I never expected any top quality performance. Just for the history. It has been said before, countless of times so I won't repeat it. ;D
By the way, I saw you recommended so many wonderful live DS shows. To tell you the truth I have good knowledge of about 15 shows, meaning that I have heard them enough times to spot the differences. How do you do it? Apart from your favourite bands (Pink Floyd, BD, MK, J.J.) what else are you fond of? I am packed with so many music that listening to DS and MK various lives, seem a bit tiring after so many spins of the songs. Don't mind my asking, I am curious of how things work for other fans.  ;)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
clapton, Richard Thompson, Leo Kottke, Joe Satriani, Kyuss, Led Zep, Robert plant (his last tour was brilliant), Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd,...and so much other stuff...

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 10:37:24 AM »
i know they (JJ and MArk) played together, as their is a famous pic of them two onstage, i contacted JJ's manager, and he told me he took that pic, and yes indeed they shared the stage, but no he has no recording of it.........
You're incredible, lucky man ! You touched the Holy Grail yesterday in Oberhausen and yet have another replacement Holy Grail in stock to keep hoping.  ;D
That summer 85 recording ...  ;)

BTW, I don't  agree at all on JJ : every single note he plays has his signature.  :o

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
jj rules...ask bob or Mark,.....or EC,...or...or...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.