Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Earliest version of "we're gonna take a swing at Macbeth"  (Read 11645 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Earliest version of "we're gonna take a swing at Macbeth"
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
And yes, we got the 'play everything' story in Newcastle too.

At the third time of hearing, I was silently mouthing the words along with him!   ;D   OK, I know there are many people in the audience who are hearing these anecdotes for the first time, but for many of us, it's getting a bit of a joke now!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
I don't think that being a perfectionist has anything to do with his ad libs between songs. To tell a bunch of people 'what a great place this is to play in, what a lovely theatre' is one thing - but to tell another bunch of people the next night, the same thing basically suggests he was just passing the time of day and looking for something to say - yet this is not the case - he is quite eloquent when being interviewed and never lost for words. His ad libs lose their value each time they are repeated. And yes, we got the 'play everything' story in Newcastle too.

antwerp too
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »

"it makes me play things differently"

"but these guys, you know, they never play the same thing"

"so it's all, alright"...  

"alright..... Prairie Wedding!"............

The funny part on it is he says that it makes him play things differently, and that his musicians never play the same thing, in a song that they always played exactly the same way, no matter which version you listen to...
So Long

Rollergirl

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »
We musn't forget that the vast majority of the people in the audience only see one show, I am not even talking about one show per tour, but simply one show of any given artist. So to most people, these little jokes are great to hear. It's all part of the show.

Rollergirl

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 01:52:41 PM »

The funny part on it is he says that it makes him play things differently, and that his musicians never play the same thing, in a song that they always played exactly the same way, no matter which version you listen to...

well that's not true is it? I hear loads of small variations in most songs. For ex. the intro to Coyote: the bass line is different in Glasgow than the others I've heard. The outro of Coyote with the MFN riff only in a couple, Marbletown jam. etc..

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
Play everything started somewhere during the european tour. And then stayed till the end
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
Well although this sound being the same old jokes repeated I found this interesting about the mood Mark is. This just evolve during the tour, on some show he will extend it and another they will be shortened.

During the London residency at the Albert Hall I found him quite talkative compared to other cities I attended but maybe because he has no curfew/airplane schedule and the majority of the audience was english speaking.

I noticed that year that the ritual "you and Richard and the other good luck" was less present. The Guy extensive "fixing" list was left for "once he rang at my door with a keyboard under the arm..."

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »
There is also the "He plays four bass, ... not all at thes same time" about Glenn.  :-[
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »

well that's not true is it? I hear loads of small variations in most songs. For ex. the intro to Coyote: the bass line is different in Glasgow than the others I've heard. The outro of Coyote with the MFN riff only in a couple, Marbletown jam. etc..

Actually I
So Long

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
I forgot about Guy with his keyboard knocking at MKs door for work! He must be pig sick of that by now.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »
We musn't forget that the vast majority of the people in the audience only see one show, I am not even talking about one show per tour, but simply one show of any given artist. So to most people, these little jokes are great to hear. It's all part of the show.
true. also he does indeed play stuff differently, small things, but they are there every night
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineKitKat

• Guitar George
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 03:22:15 AM »
Well, I do enjoy the banter and if there is another tour, I do hope he continues to chit chat a bit.   I, too, think it gives a little insight into how the night is flowing (to that point, so does the way the music is flowing), plus he has a nice voice to listen to (at least I think so).
Her lucky stars give her just enough....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 10:00:23 AM »
KitKat,  I agree with you, MK has a lovely speaking voice and I really enjoy the chit-chat, even though I have heard it all so many times.  I don't even skip these parts when I listen to the recordings - not all the time anyway!   ;D   Nice to see you here btw!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
KitKat,  I agree with you, MK has a lovely speaking voice and I really enjoy the chit-chat, even though I have heard it all so many times.  I don't even skip these parts when I listen to the recordings - not all the time anyway!   ;D   Nice to see you here btw!   :)

Considering MK's lyrical skill and his keen eye for observation, it always seemed very strange to me that he speaks so little and even uses the same jokes tour after tour. But, like setlist variation, it just seems that it will remain that way.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
KitKat,  I agree with you, MK has a lovely speaking voice and I really enjoy the chit-chat, even though I have heard it all so many times.  I don't even skip these parts when I listen to the recordings - not all the time anyway!   ;D   Nice to see you here btw!   :)

Considering MK's lyrical skill and his keen eye for observation, it always seemed very strange to me that he speaks so little and even uses the same jokes tour after tour. But, like setlist variation, it just seems that it will remain that way.

It just wouldn't be the same without MK's little anecdotes, though, would it?   I think we would all miss them if they weren't there - just so long as he discards a few old ones and adds a few new ones now and again!  Anyway, it puts a smile on the faces in the audience and gives us a few laughs, even if we may cringe occasionally!  :lol
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:20:12 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 43 queries.