Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Official Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Owners' Club Thread  (Read 58513 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: The Official Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Owners' Club Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
Maybe Fender changed the numbering system, email their customer services and ask. They are usually helpful.

I reckon if somebody was going to the trouble of faking an MK strat, they would fake the serial number properly too.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »
Hi, I've been looking for a MK Strat for some time. I've been holding out to find an early production (Hot Rod Red) model with a low serial no. I thought they were all HR Red until I saw a few being done in Dakota Red..

I started looking into serial nos. Today on ebay, there are 2 for sale, both with serial nos that don't follow the SE00XXXX pattern but have 5XXXX instead. Should I assume these are in effect fakes? It' easy to find MK necks on ebay, so I guess it'd be relatively easy to build one with an HR Red body and a random neck plate, or did some really have these serial nos?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Stratocaster-USA-Mark-Knopfler-signature-/300569934940?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45fb5d3c5c#ht_762wt_1047

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AWESOME-FENDER-MARK-KNOPFLER-STRATOCASER-MADE-USA-/230639720607?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b332d89f#ht_500wt_830

I approached one of the sellers, and he got REALLY shirty when I asked about the unusual serial no! So I assumed it was not genuine.

And if anybody here wants to sell their early MK Strat, do mail me as I'd be interested for sure.

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

I saw those on ebay and straight away I thought to myself 'Fake' purely because of the numbers and NO back up 'candy' which includes the authentication certificate with the guitar either.

Very sorry but I am NOT selling either of my two MK Strats!!
Best of luck in your quest for an early one.
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinetelecaster91

• Guitar George
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

Hi Folks,

I just bought an MK stratocaster. Its serial is 008xx. It still has its labels and tags attached, all case candy etc. Just wondering can anybody tell how old it is.  also where are they made, they dont have the usual "made in the USA" on the headstock like other Strats.  I bought from a collector.

Regards,

Telecaster91

OfflineJust 2 fingers (and a thumb)

• Guitar George
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »
Hi - did you but that one from Australia? That had a xx8xx serial no and ended earlier today? Looked nice!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
Eh?? thought the Fender MK's like mine had a serial number which started with 'SE00000' etc?? With ypur 'candy' you should have a 'rectangular' piece of card (label) which states who checked the various componants on your guitar and underneath should be the guitar's number....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineJust 2 fingers (and a thumb)

• Guitar George
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
yep, that was my thoughts that all serial nos followed the SE00XXX pattern. I think the one Telecaster91 may have bought from Australia has serial no SE008xx I think.

Offlinetelecaster91

• Guitar George
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »

Thanks,  Yes mine starts SE008XX. I bought it in Ireland in a private sale. Hasnt been played on stage.  I'm nearly afraid to take it to a gig. I presume its a few years old with that serial. Are they all made in the USA?

Enlighten me!!

Dave

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »

Thanks,  Yes mine starts SE008XX. I bought it in Ireland in a private sale. Hasnt been played on stage.  I'm nearly afraid to take it to a gig. I presume its a few years old with that serial. Are they all made in the USA?

Enlighten me!!

Dave

Am glad you have a 'proper one' after all the number scares earlier.
One of my MK's is numbered 'SE00860' and when it was serviced a few months ago the chap in the guitar shop informed me that the neck was dated 2004 so I take it the guitar entered the big wide world in 2004.
The guitars although 'SE' numbered don't really date themselves as for instance a 2004 'constructed' MK strat could have a lower number than a 2003 edition if you see what I mean, they were obviously made in large batches I presume.

But your guitar is certainly dated to 2004/2005, so Enjoy the MK!!!

Offlinetelecaster91

• Guitar George
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2011, 02:58:08 AM »
Thanks for the info. I used the guitar last night. Guitars are made for playing, such a waste to leave it in the case with the candy. Think I'll pack the candy away and use the guitar on special occasions and safe venues( where the stage is big enough to avoid people falling over it). Really is a special instrument. I have 4 other strats ..2 70s and a 1996 standard that Ive fitted EMG's too. Use a Musicman quiet a bit too but the MK is the new star of the show.

Jackal

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
Didn't know Vince Gill played one as well (Vince at his smoothest by the way ...):

A gift from Richard, but it got destroyed in the floods in Nashville last year:

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
Thanks for the info. I used the guitar last night. Guitars are made for playing, such a waste to leave it in the case with the candy. Think I'll pack the candy away and use the guitar on special occasions and safe venues( where the stage is big enough to avoid people falling over it). Really is a special instrument. I have 4 other strats ..2 70s and a 1996 standard that Ive fitted EMG's too. Use a Musicman quiet a bit too but the MK is the new star of the show.

Totally agree! I had both of mine 'serviced' and 'set up' profesionally and when I said to the chap I will probably play just one of them he said 'that would be a waste - enjoy them both' - so I do!! I can believe how different they both are sound wise, but I suppose no two are the same....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
Hi all,

Not long until I meet a few of you in London!!
Anyway it's been a while so its nice to tell you that today my third yes third MK Strat arrived and this is another low serial number (SE00616) and it came complete with an unopened manual, spare springs, ashtray cover and fender cloth etc. The labels were still tied together too and the guitar itself is 'Mint' and possibly unused! It has subsequently gone this afternoon to the local Fender dealer for a full service and setup.
Inside the box also was the original article from 'Guitar Buyer' magazine July 2003 edition, which includes an exclusive interview with Mark about 'his' guitar! Would any of the MK Strat owners like a digital copy which I will quite happily email.
I will scan the magazine article tomorrow and will message again when its available.

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »
I'd love to read it I never have seen that magazine :)
3 MK strats? woooow congrats !!!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:28 PM »
Many MK guitars on sale at ebay for about 1400$ if you live in the US. 1900$ if delivered in Europe! What's wrong with this picture?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
Hi all,

Just to advise that guitar article 'Guitar Buyer - July 2003' has been succesfully scanned and is ready for those who would like a copy. Of interest is that the strat used in the review in the mag is actually the Fender prototype!! Send me your email addresses guys......

Also after having the latest arrival MK strat serviced yesterday at my local Fender dealer I was advised that the 'MK Strat' is now discontinued!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.