Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Very 1st Song You Listened of DS/MK  (Read 15105 times)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Re: The Very 1st Song You Listened of DS/MK
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
Almost certainly Sultans, but I know I discovered that my youngest (6yrs younger) brother had the Making Movies LP and I made a cassette tape of the album with his single version of SoS ( the non-album version) added at the end.  This puts my initial awareness of the band at around the time of Making Movies, but I'm sure I'd heard SoS on the radio before then. Strangely he wasn't a great DS fan but just happened to have that album & single at the time I became interested in them.  Sultan's is certainly the song with the most impact for me, because it made me pick up a guitar again after a break and want to do more than just strum rhythm parts. Like others, I discovered that MK's hybrid fingerstyle worked for me better than a plectrum (pick).   
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »
not sure, back in the mid eighties, growing up, my dad had LOG, BIA and MM...so cannot truly say which song of of those i heard first. i know i liked it all...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »
SOS...in 1979...driving my '71 Mustang with a couple friends in the car when it came on the radio. By the end of the song..we all looked at each other with that 'who the hell are these guys!' expression. Within two days all three of us each had the first album in our clutches.  ;D

hophead,

I really like your story. I could visualize in my head. Now, just curious, are your 2 friends still big fans of MK?
One of them still is  Sweetsurrender..the other one I'm sure he still listens to Mark...but I've lost touch with him. C'est la vie   ;)
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
I honestly don't know!!  Does that make me less of a fan? :(

Not at all....... I'm a mega fan and I honestly can't remember lol

I'm pretty sure it was something off Brothers In arms but I spent much more time very quickly listening to the first two DS albums on Cassette :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
It must have been "The man's too strong" as my first encounter with DS was in a bus, in a school trip to England (I was 14 in 1988). A classmate had a worn-out tape of the BIA album that he asked the driver to play, and I still remember the strong power chords of the song. This is what hooked me into DS, I came to discover the BIA album with MFN and BIA, then I bought the famous "Money for Nothing" compilation CD and was absolutely suffucated by the quality of the music of those who were called at the time "The Beatles of the 80s". TR live, especially, made a great impression on me, and made me buy the LOG album, and ultimately all of them.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 07:19:53 AM »
It has to be 'SOS' but on the 'Money for Nothing' compilation.
I up until that point listened/played to really nothing more than Hank Marvin/The Shadows material as I am very keen on Hank's sound through the Stratocaster. Upon gaining my employment at 16 years old a colleague asked if I liked Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits? to which I replied 'no' He subsequently gave me a copy of the said album plus 'OES' and from then I have been totally hooked although I still listen/play Shadows/Hank material.
Of course listening to Mark's guitar playing through the years has obviously helped me with my understanding and playing of the electric guitar.
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 38 queries.