Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2003 Accident Anniversary  (Read 7215 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
2003 Accident Anniversary
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
Just read in the newspaper that it was this day in 2003 that MK had his motorbike accident.  Not the sort of thing I've commited to memory but when I read it it dawned on me just how quickly the last seven years have passed.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Love Expresso

Re: 2003 Accident Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:36 PM »
Yeah. Back in 2003, there was the bad sight of maybe never hear him playing the guitar again. Thank god, since that year we had a very productive, probably the most productive era in MK's career: four albums, three tours (including Emmylou) since 2003 and today the next tour is in the pipeline already. Those seven years were really great for us MK fans. Let's hope for at least another seven years! ;)

LE

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »
Yeah. Back in 2003, there was the bad sight of maybe never hear him playing the guitar again. Thank god, since that year we had a very productive, probably the most productive era in MK's career: four albums, three tours (including Emmylou) since 2003 and today the next tour is in the pipeline already. Those seven years were really great for us MK fans. Let's hope for at least another seven years! ;)

LE

Couldn't agree more. :)

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »

LE

Amen to that. Had tickets to see MK and EC at the Albert Hall, was so gutted when the accident happened.

They got Nigel Kennedy to replace MK, terrible gig.  :-\
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »
They got Nigel Kennedy to replace MK, terrible gig.  :-\

Really? Never knew that. I once saw Nigel Kennedy in Hamburg, playing the Four seasons first (GREAT!) and in the second part of the show he interpreted Jimi Hendrix for about an hour, which was... interresting. I however enjoyed the gig. Sometimes John McCuskers behaviour on stage reminds me of him.

LE

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
Just read in the newspaper that it was this day in 2003 that MK had his motorbike accident.  Not the sort of thing I've commited to memory but when I read it it dawned on me just how quickly the last seven years have passed.

I remember being in shock when I heard it :disbelief :disbeliefAs being a Paddy we were off work for St Patricks day & I remember coming into work the following day,switching on the computer & going what :o :o you must be joking me, wow 7 years,how time flies :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
Really? Never knew that. I once saw Nigel Kennedy in Hamburg, playing the Four seasons first (GREAT!) and in the second part of the show he interpreted Jimi Hendrix for about an hour, which was... interresting. I however enjoyed the gig. Sometimes John McCuskers behaviour on stage reminds me of him.

LE

If he had played the Four Seasons it would have been fine, but he was doing some wierd jazz fusion thing, just awful.

Clapton was poor too, a load of crappy Chuck Berry covers and the like, could have heard anybody doing them down the pub.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Rollergirl

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »
I remember being in shock when I heard it :disbelief :disbelief As being a Paddy we were off work for St Patricks day & I remember coming into work the following day,switching on the computer & going what :o :o you must be joking me, wow 7 years,how time flies :o.  
"

That could be fun to read everybody's "where were you when you heard the news" stories.

I read about this on yahoo while checking my mail. The article said that he was not in a life threatening condition so I was not too worried. It was at a time when I had drifted away from his music a bit (between 99 and 04) and I didn't have plan to go and see him, so it didn't affect me so much.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:12:23 PM by Rollergirl »

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
I remember being in shock when I heard it :disbelief :disbelief As being a Paddy we were off work for St Patricks day & I remember coming into work the following day,switching on the computer & going what :o :o you must be joking me, wow 7 years,how time flies :o.  
"

That could be fun to read everybody's "what were you when you heard the news" stories.

I read about this on yahoo while checking my mail. The article said that he was not in a life threathening condition so I was not too worried. It was at a time when I had drifted away from his music a bit (between 99 and 04) and I didn't have plan to go and see him, so it didn't affect me so much.

I'm afraid that I can't be much of a fan, because I don't think I even knew Mark had been in an accident until about 6 weeks after it had happened when I read somewhere that he had to cancel a charity performance because of his injuries.
This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure i remember seeing it as 'Breaking News' on Sky News.
All i can remember is thinking Shiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!
My main concern was that it didn't immediately seem like it was life threatening.
THANK GOD!!!!

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
As soon as I heard it I knew immediately the tour wouldn't go ahead. Even if he was ok by the start of the tour  - the practice sessions would have suffered and it would be doubtful if he could get the whole thing back on track. MK being the perfectionist he is, wouldn't have felt right if he wasn't fully prepared.

It nearly cost me seeing him in 2005 because the tickets I had for the 'tour that never was' were obtained for me in someone else's name and I didn't get the info from the Newcastle City Hall inviting me to 'renew' them in advance of the public sale. I did manage though:-)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure i remember seeing it as 'Breaking News' on Sky News.
All i can remember is thinking Shiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!
My main concern was that it didn't immediately seem like it was life threatening.
THANK GOD!!!!

Cheers   BBB

That's exactly how I found out too!  I just got refunds for my tickets, fortunately I hadn't made any travel arrangements for the London shows I intended to go to but the main thing was Mark was okay (relatively speaking).
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
I heard on BBC Breakfast and I was really shocked, but relieved to know he was going to be OK.  I knew, without a doubt that the tour would be cancelled and I was very upset that I was not going to see him at the RAH.  It was lovely to hear some of the songs we would have heard from RPD in 2008 on the KTGC tour - it made up for it a bit!   It's great that we still have him touring - hopefully for many more years!  :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
Hmm, I'm trying really hard to remember where I first read the news. Was it on the official MKNews site?  ???
However, I do remember sending a text message to moat after I read it. I had tickets for three shows, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich I think, and I remember cancelling my hotel arrangement in Stuttgart and giving the tickets back. Have to admit I really needed the money back then... Annoying thing was, I had given my mum a ticket for the Frankfurt show as a birthday gift  :-\

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
I had 3 tickets as birthday presents for 3 friends/relations. i had to not only buy them something else but, but them 3 more tickets 2 years later!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 45 queries.