Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Vinyl Reissues  (Read 5636 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
Vinyl Reissues
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:34:30 AM »
Warner Brothers is re-issuing the old Dire Straits vinyls, starting with, of course, Dire Straits, available now.   Making Movies is scheduled for next summer.   Do you think this is a legitimate and worthwhile endeavor, or is it another wring every last dollar out?
I'm considering getting the first one, since I don't have any of my old vinyls anymore.   I'd have to set up my old turntable though.   At least i didn't get rid of that.  
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Love Expresso

Re: Vinyl Reissues
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:58 AM »
Still turntable, you lucky one! I WOULD buy a new one maybe just for these 4 records, but the rest of my hifi set-up then has to be pimped also!
I thought about the complete Dire Straits catalogue on vinyl, and then recognized that this makes sense: Alchemy is too long, and from BIA on they were
all longer than 50 minutes and therefore not perfect for vinyl. So I think these 4 albums will be real classics forever. Would be interesting to know if there are some new liner notes or pictures because of the "Warner 30 years anniversary" - one year late?

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:59 PM »
I thought about the complete Dire Straits catalogue on vinyl, and then recognized that this makes sense: Alchemy is too long, and from BIA on they were
all longer than 50 minutes and therefore not perfect for vinyl. So I think these 4 albums will be real classics forever. Would be interesting to know if there are some new liner notes or pictures because of the "Warner 30 years anniversary" - one year late?

LE

Alchemy was set up as a double album (well albeit still too short in capacity so LOG wasn't included) and BIA 180g reissue is a double. To my know 1991 OES LP is similar to it CD counterpart.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
There are only 4 DS albums recorded in analog. DS, Communique, Making Movies and Love Over Gold.

All first DS albums were mastered in digital format in the mid of '80 and this digital masters were used for next releases and remasters (like re-issues with SMB in 1996). It is not possible to beleive but this digital remasters were used for vinyl  :o re-releases (all Polygram/Universal Music vinyl albums released after 1986 and Simply Vinyl re-issues in 2000).  It is great that forthcoming re-issues mastered from original master tapes. I do not have the first album yet, but I hope that it sounds good. 

BIA is one of the first digital records (and is not the best digital record). Chuck Ainlay did a best remaster for SACD/DVD-Audio and no one can do better. But it is pure digital record and I do not see any reason to listen to "CD" on vinyl.

OES is the digital record too made by Bill Schnee (Genius! Chuck Ainlay was his assistant only) and it is the  BEST digital record I have heard as well as NHB Missing... (Bill Schnee worked on it too). But again - OES - a digital record only from the end of '80. It never would be better on vinyl.

The estimated schedule:
Mar.02 2010 - Communique (confirmed)
Apr. 2010 - Making Movies
May 2010 - Love Over Gold

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
To answer your question Irisrose it is simply to make money. I can't see the point in it at all. Can anyone? If you want the original vinyls they are still about - conditions will vary but they are there.

I don't want to hear any improved sound. I know every note, every click, pop, crackle etc. They are what i fell in love with - not something out of the 21st Century.

I am at a loss as to why there is a perceived demand - surely they haven't done any market research into this project - or have they?

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:14 PM »
Thanks, Ustas, that was perfectly said what I meant! The digital aspect is of course very eminent. Just let me add to ds1984

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
There are only 4 DS albums recorded in analog. DS, Communique, Making Movies and Love Over Gold.

OES is the digital record too made by Bill Schnee (Genius! Chuck Ainlay was his assistant only) and it is the  BEST digital record I have heard as well as NHB Missing... (Bill Schnee worked on it too). But again - OES - a digital record only from the end of '80. It never would be better on vinyl.

Does your CD player use the same resolution of the master tape?
Definitively not - you have a mixdown and you have to rely on the quality of your Dac
Beside vinyl mastering is different than CD mastering due to the dynamic difference capability.
Vinyl afficionados loves them because they sound different than a CD regardless if the master tape is analog or not.

I have a vinyl from the mid eighties that have been digitaly recorded and mixed but have still not been issued yet on CD.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
Thanks, Ustas, that was perfectly said what I meant! The digital aspect is of course very eminent. Just let me add to ds1984

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »
To answer your question Irisrose it is simply to make money. I can't see the point in it at all. Can anyone? If you want the original vinyls they are still about - conditions will vary but they are there.

I don't want to hear any improved sound. I know every note, every click, pop, crackle etc. They are what i fell in love with - not something out of the 21st Century.

I am at a loss as to why there is a perceived demand - surely they haven't done any market research into this project - or have they?

The vinyl market declined in favor of the CD. But a range of amateur remained stuck with the lp format and kept the demand for. So small label started to produce vinyl reissue and got licence form major company to re-release their title. There is a market and even if this is in percentage a small market on a territory like the USA this is enough to make it profitable. And if it is profitalbe it should not be ignored.

Contrary to the mass production of the 70's, these release are in limited quantities and cared about their quality. And price are also high but these targeted customer are thos that are still willing to pay for quality product.

I should add that the 50 minutes or over tend to produce dilued quality CD. The time limitation of the vinyl had this great effect, on a vinyl album you had to select the material and keep only the best tracks.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »

OES is the digital record too made by Bill Schnee (Genius! Chuck Ainlay was his assistant only) and it is the  BEST digital record I have heard as well as NHB Missing... (Bill Schnee worked on it too). But again - OES - a digital record only from the end of '80. It never would be better on vinyl.

Does your CD player use the same resolution of the master tape?
Definitively not - you have a mixdown and you have to rely on the quality of your Dac
Beside vinyl mastering is different than CD mastering due to the dynamic difference capability.

Vinyl afficionados loves them because they sound different than a CD regardless if the master tape is analog or not.

I have a vinyl from the mid eighties that have been digitaly recorded and mixed but have still not been issued yet on CD.

1. Yes, my DAC and DVD/SACD Audio player have better resolution than SONY PCM 3324 used for BIA recording in 1984. I can listen to BIA DVD Auido with original resolution 16/48 as recorded in studio as well as DSD tranfer from PCM remaster. BIA on vinyl? No, thanks.  

2. Several new albums recorded in digital (24/96) sound more better on vinyl than on CD (for example All The Roadrunning). But I have some vinyl albums mastered from "CD" digital resources. It sounds terrible.

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:52 PM »
Next reissue, Making Movies, is planned for April 20. Gove Over Gold is expected to be released on May 04.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Love Over Gold 180g vinyl reussie (WB cat. nbr.093624969693) will be released on May 25.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 45 queries.