Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark at the BBC  (Read 5174 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Mark at the BBC
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2024, 02:30:21 PM »
For me it's  the same: Mark the human being comes first, and his music is of course the result of it. I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but all art is imho directly connected to its creator and the circumstances it was created in. The more you know about the background, the more interesting a piece of art will become. So, as soon as the creator is forgotten, the art will lose a lot of its meaning (with the exception, maybe, of instrumental music and abstract art). I mean, if you look at a 3000-year-old Greek statue, you may think it's beautiful but it doesn't mean a thing, but if you look at a sculpture by Michelangelo and you know the story behind it, it will somehow come alive.

I strongly disagree with this. Yes, knowing something about the author, artist, composer, etc. may/can/will shed light on their works of art. It's interesting for the sake of analysis, but first of all I think a work of art should speak for itself. Secondly, there are authors/artists/composers who I find totally unsympathetic, whose political/religious views I strongly disagree with, people who may be outright a$$holes, but whose works of art still are amazing.

Having been so interested in Mark the artist and person, over so many years, has ruined my view of his art in a way. I really wish I knew lot less about him. A lot of the mystery is gone. All the interviews, all the insights (through Guy for example) have actually contributed to lessening my interest. As I have discovered other artists and musicians, I have a made it a point to know very little about them. Maybe just some elementary facts, but that's it.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: Mark at the BBC
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2024, 03:23:24 PM »
Just finished the Desert Island Discs broadcast, nothing new offcourse but very enjoyable to listen to.
Reminds me a little of the SXM British Grove Broadcast MK did himself.

The other broadcast, Mark Knopfler at the BBC; Sounds of the 80s was also good.
Offcourse everything was 'old' but some interview bits were new to me.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 39 queries.