Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Interview with DK  (Read 5476 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Re: New Interview with DK
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2024, 04:36:13 PM »

If you’d give an honest look, throughout DS history there was no such thing as a “second guitar player”. All major rhythm parts were either composed or straight up recorded by you know who... Mark had a rhythm guitar player simply because you can’t play two guitars at once. If he could, DS would be a power trio :lol
[/quote]

If you look closely, you'll notice that even though Mark played most of the second guitar, still, there is David's guitar, the first two albums have his soul too, his guitar and voice are there to make that distinctive chemistry happens, there are ideas of him there, the Lions melody was David's suggestion, the magic happens especially live, when you see the mixture of the two guitars, MK and DK, that unique, indivisible texture. SOS was never the same without David being in a quartet format, compare the groove of the versions of OES tour 81/92, STP tour 2001, SGL tour 2005, KTGC tour 2008 ... In my opinion, David was the best rhythm guitarist who accompanied Mark Knopfler, I'm not talking about multi-instrumentalists like Richard, who even makes arrangements, I'm talking about the role of the rhythm guitarist, in that sense he is what Bruce Welch is for the Shadows, who knows, knows what I mean. The change in sound with the departure of David is drastic, both in the studio, especially live, the same occurred with the departure of Pick.

Anyway, whatever came, be it to rescue some songs from the first two albums of DS, or a new job between a possible partnership between the Knopfler brothers, for me it would be welcome and I believe that for many others too, they have the same musical roots , in that sense they speak the same musical language!  :wave
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Onlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2024, 10:16:08 PM »
Well, it's just not going to happen, however much DK or anyone else wants it to happen.
MK has made this quite clear.
What strikes me as odd is that they were on speaking terms after David's departure from DS, Mark even played on David's album. But something must have happened later on, maybe in the 90s, which made him cut ties with David for good, including all his family ("cousins who have never met") and ended in such bitterness that David even tried to auction off the Höfner.
I mean you can leave a band, a family company or whatever and still speak to each other, but this is a different dimension. It could be a very personal thing that may have nothing to do with DS at all. But we'll never know, of course.

Besides, I'm not sure how good the article is... it says David moved in with Mark (and ruined his sex life), but wasn't it John's flat to begin with, David moved in and then one fine day John found Mark there kipping on the floor?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2024, 09:43:23 AM »
What strikes me as odd is that they were on speaking terms after David's departure from DS, Mark even played on David's album. But something must have happened later on, maybe in the 90s, which made him cut ties with David for good, including all his family ("cousins who have never met") and ended in such bitterness that David even tried to auction off the Höfner.
I mean you can leave a band, a family company or whatever and still speak to each other, but this is a different dimension. It could be a very personal thing that may have nothing to do with DS at all. But we'll never know, of course.

David wrote a book in 1996, maybe it was critical of MK?

"Who went and wrote the oldest story in the book? Everybody pays..."
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2024, 11:09:09 AM »

David wrote a book in 1996, maybe it was critical of MK?

"Who went and wrote the oldest story in the book? Everybody pays..."
that bluff book?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2024, 05:57:52 PM »
“Mark had a way of making other players feel special, he’s such a wonderful performer…anybody who plays with him feels that they’re a bit better than they really are.”

Not exactly Chris Whitten's experience, was it?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2024, 10:20:54 AM »
“Mark had a way of making other players feel special, he’s such a wonderful performer…anybody who plays with him feels that they’re a bit better than they really are.”

Not exactly Chris Whitten's experience, was it?
who said that?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.