Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitar players thoughts on the song Love over Gold  (Read 1354 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Guitar players thoughts on the song Love over Gold
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 05:14:26 PM »
I'll try to find Mel Bay's book somewhere on the internet now I have the need to read it hahaha. For me the best part of the song if I had to choose would be the chorus (it takes love over gold...) I love the Bb C Ebmaj7 Gm7 Bb6 A7#5 Dm7 ending on the huge F#7#9/C# C13 and the melody "walking" into C#/B
Although what I enjoy the most is playing the lead parts fills and solos like in Pavel's video it's incredibly satisfying to play the whole thing!

Also take a look at Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar book, especially volume 1. It's not a great book. It's old, and the teaching method is kind of questionable ha-ha But many people have used it over the years, though, including Richard Bennett, and I think also Mark. You'll learn many lovely chords and progressions, and I'm pretty sure I've heard several of those progressions in Mark's music over the years. It's available online in PDF format.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2024, 07:24:54 PM »
I would also like to say that the chord progression that starts at 1:08 in the video below is one of the greatest musical moments of all-time, in my view.

Really? It's an extremely common IV - V progression. Mark's solo (wonderfully played by Pavel, by the way) is super tasteful (why hasn't Mark played anything like this in his solo years???), but the progression is as standard as it gets. Sometimes I feel fans of Mark give Mark more credit than he is due.
And since when do the best musical moments need to be complex? More times than not, it's the simplicity and the way it's done that matters.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2024, 09:20:31 PM »
I would also like to say that the chord progression that starts at 1:08 in the video below is one of the greatest musical moments of all-time, in my view.

Really? It's an extremely common IV - V progression. Mark's solo (wonderfully played by Pavel, by the way) is super tasteful (why hasn't Mark played anything like this in his solo years???), but the progression is as standard as it gets. Sometimes I feel fans of Mark give Mark more credit than he is due.
And since when do the best musical moments need to be complex? More times than not, it's the simplicity and the way it's done that matters.

My point wasn't complexity vs simplicity, but the fact that a bit of jazzlike noodling over IV-V progression isn't exactly groundbreaking. It's in fact extremely common. But I totally agree with you that simplicity many times trumps complexity. Consider the descending basslines in Bach's Air on G string, or the opening part of Erik Satie's Gymnopedie - several bars of just a I-IV progression.

OfflineBarrow boy

• Guitar George
  • A shiver in the dark
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2024, 08:44:09 PM »
I'll try to find Mel Bay's book somewhere on the internet now I have the need to read it hahaha. For me the best part of the song if I had to choose would be the chorus (it takes love over gold...) I love the Bb C Ebmaj7 Gm7 Bb6 A7#5 Dm7 ending on the huge F#7#9/C# C13 and the melody "walking" into C#/B
Although what I enjoy the most is playing the lead parts fills and solos like in Pavel's video it's incredibly satisfying to play the whole thing!

Also take a look at Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar book, especially volume 1. It's not a great book. It's old, and the teaching method is kind of questionable ha-ha But many people have used it over the years, though, including Richard Bennett, and I think also Mark. You'll learn many lovely chords and progressions, and I'm pretty sure I've heard several of those progressions in Mark's music over the years. It's available online in PDF format.
Thanks for the recommendation Hunter, downloaded it last week and it's the first time I pick up any jazz book. It's bloody hard hahahaha but I love it. Now I see where those "rare" chord progressions came from.
Cheers

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.