Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Boy EP (03) All Comers  (Read 8670 times)

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
Re: The Boy EP (03) All Comers
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2024, 09:22:01 PM »
I was listening to Tracker and Down the Road Wherever this weekend, and was (once again) impressed with the rhythm of Laughs and Jokes and One Song at a Time -- two songs that are somehow comparable to All Comers. Unlike those two songs, All Comers seems to be stiff and stumbling somehow, it doesn't quite find its groove. Don't you agree? I keep wondering why that is -- maybe it's due to several takes being stitched together. I dunno. It's a bit of a pity, because the song as such is really good.
All Comers is just one perfect song.

I agree All Comers is absolutely perfect! Certainly OSAAT is good too but I'm afraid AC has the edge for me....

In fact also, I have had no desire to listen to anything else but One Deep River, The Boy and all the bonus tracks

You are not alone, I do the same!
I've been listening to Mark's new music since the release and don't get tired of it. There is nothing wrong but all is right for me.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2024, 08:07:24 PM »
This is probably my favorite of all the new songs.  As much as I like it though, I find the vocals to be quite muddy.  Way too much echo or reverb or something, Mark sounds like he's in the next room.  I played the song for someone right after it came out and as he was listening he said, "I love the tune but I really can't understand a word he's saying".

And now that you mention it, the drums are kind of weak.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2024, 07:38:12 AM »
Contrary to most of other opinions, this song has grown worse to the rest, and it's because the more I listen to it, the more obvious it sounds.

And I mean obvious because it sounds to me like a trick that if MK wanted, he can use it everytime he needs something to sound like a hit, this song has the feeling of "What it is" with touches of rythmic parts of "Boom like that" with touches of "Border reiver", things that are in stock for him, like a formula of create a hit, something that was common when in DS and something that he's been using less usually in his solo career, but he used it when it was needed a song sounding like a hit, a formula. I've been happy with him avoiding that formula in the last records, I think the last time he used it was on "Border reiver" and it was kind of hidden behind the folk flavour but here it is again with "All Comers", that, also said, it's rare he uses the hit formula for a song that is going to be on an EP exclusive for RSD and just digital release, with very very little promotion, which makes very little sense.

However, from "The Boy" ep, this song is the one I like the less and very usually a skipper for me.
So Long

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2024, 08:09:56 AM »
Contrary to most of other opinions, this song has grown worse to the rest, and it's because the more I listen to it, the more obvious it sounds.

And I mean obvious because it sounds to me like a trick that if MK wanted, he can use it everytime he needs something to sound like a hit, this song has the feeling of "What it is" with touches of rythmic parts of "Boom like that" with touches of "Border reiver", things that are in stock for him, like a formula of create a hit, something that was common when in DS and something that he's been using less usually in his solo career, but he used it when it was needed a song sounding like a hit, a formula. I've been happy with him avoiding that formula in the last records, I think the last time he used it was on "Border reiver" and it was kind of hidden behind the folk flavour but here it is again with "All Comers", that, also said, it's rare he uses the hit formula for a song that is going to be on an EP exclusive for RSD and just digital release, with very very little promotion, which makes very little sense.

However, from "The Boy" ep, this song is the one I like the less and very usually a skipper for me.

I know exactly what you mean but I don't think that MK thinks in these categories.

I guess it's more like he has a certain assortment of sounds and parts he uses for certain moods and sceneries, going through the motions instead of exploring new musical grounds. (Nothing to blame him for I want to add.)

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2024, 04:47:46 PM »
I just listened to it again, and really think if this song has a problem, it's in the rhythm. Drums, voice, guitar -- all three of them seem to struggle with it somehow, as if unsure about how to approach it. It just doesn't groove like Border Reiver, What it Is, One Song at a Time, Laughs and Jokes or even Oklahoma Ponies, all songs that follow a similar formula.

What I would really love to know is why that is, but I'm not musically literate enough to find out. Was it just a somewhat unsuccessful performance? Or the result of being given orders ("play like this") instead of follow instincts? Or the comping of several tracks/takes? I'll probably never know ...

PS: I'm not complaining about the new material in general. I'm listening to the album, the EP and the bonus tracks all the time.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2024, 10:13:28 AM »
I just listened to it again, and really think if this song has a problem, it's in the rhythm. Drums, voice, guitar -- all three of them seem to struggle with it somehow, as if unsure about how to approach it. It just doesn't groove like Border Reiver, What it Is, One Song at a Time, Laughs and Jokes or even Oklahoma Ponies, all songs that follow a similar formula.

What I would really love to know is why that is, but I'm not musically literate enough to find out. Was it just a somewhat unsuccessful performance? Or the result of being given orders ("play like this") instead of follow instincts? Or the comping of several tracks/takes? I'll probably never know ...

One really wonders how this song would sound with a different drum beat. The melody as sung by Mark features rather many notes and a somehwat unusual rhythm, whereas the drums seem to provide a basic, straight forward beat.

Compare this to Laughs & Jokes, where Ian's beat is the perfect accompaniment.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2024, 01:29:36 PM »
One really wonders how this song would sound with a different drum beat.

Yes, exactly. Ianto almost sound as if he had been forced to play it that way. Not quite "feeling" it.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2024, 07:47:43 AM »
I don't understand a single word you are saying.

The song is perfectly ok.

:hmm
So Long

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2024, 04:43:10 PM »
One really wonders how this song would sound with a different drum beat.

Yes, exactly. Ianto almost sound as if he had been forced to play it that way. Not quite "feeling" it.

I think that drums/drumming is the main issue about Mark's music since Chad left the band.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2024, 01:10:32 PM »
Actually, I'd still love to know the answer to my original question here, which was:

Was Ianto playing to a click track on this song?

If one of the musos among you can tell, let me know!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2024, 06:05:29 PM »

If my little experience on studio can answer to this question, so... Yes! Ianto is playing with a click-track.
Well, There can be exceptions, but everyone records with a click-track

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2024, 02:55:38 PM »

If my little experience on studio can answer to this question, so... Yes! Ianto is playing with a click-track.
Well, There can be exceptions, but everyone records with a click-track

Is that so? I seem to remember drummers (or other bands) saying that they'd refuse to play to a click-track. I could see why ... it must have a serious impact on how the drumming feels, right?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.