Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A Message from MK  (Read 2295 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
A Message from MK
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »

A MESSAGE FROM MK

I'll never forget the day my father came home from work to tell us that one of his colleagues, a supposedly educated man, had said: 'What do I care if the rhino becomes extinct?"
I was a young teenager then and today this is a very real danger. Due to man's greed we may well lose these amazing animals forever.
Last year I was lucky enough to visit the Waterberg area in South Africa and to meet a man there named Anthony Baber, who has dedicated his life to preserving rhino.

A kilogram of rhino horn is now worth $75,000 on the street in the East. Recently our friends lost a beautiful rhino cow to poachers. She was the only one who did not have a guard with her. Fortunately the 22 month old calf survived and he is old enough to be weaned.

Last year 463 rhino were poached in South Africa and this year over 340 so far.

Ant's wife Tessa told me: It seems in the future we are going to have to do what they do in Kenya and have armed anti-poaching guys with each animal or if we can eventually raise sufficient funds put in a military type radar system which are now available which would detect any person coming across fences or on the property. The success of this sort of system is that it then allows one to actually catch them before they do the deed. It would also possibly allow us to take on other owners' rhinos in order to protect them.
Anyway we are enormously grateful if you can just put it on your website to allow us to create more awareness of this disaster.

If anyone out there would like to help with preserving rhino on a grass roots level, please get in touch with

tessa@waterberg.net

Many thanks
MK

web site:- http://www.waterbergrhino.com/

Please help if you are able.......
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:08:07 PM by shangri la 1 »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A Message from MK
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
"They're running out of rhino's, what do I care?"   ;)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:12:26 AM »
It's a nice thing that Mark sent out this message to the world.  But I wonder what exactly we can do about it.  ??? There are also tigers that are on endangered list, or even elephants.  The issue has to be dealt with from a political level.  Too many greedy people in this world. :disbelief

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:33 AM »
We must run out of greedy people then!
Well it is  not exactly the case. Although the end market for such things might bring a lot of money to some people, I guess the hunters are doing it just to live. Always the big interests are hiding in the shadows!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.