Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any MK fans in the US?  (Read 5884 times)

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
Re: Any MK fans in the US?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
Hi and welcome from Utah!
Been an MK/DS fan since 1978.

We loved Utah on our 2012 Roadtrip! Driving up to snowy peaks at Cedar Breaks and then into wild west canyons in Zion Nt. Park... I think we enjoyed it more than Yellowstone, maybe ! :)
The USA is awesome!

Fletch, glad you liked Utah. It has spectacular scenery, especially up near Salt Lake City with the Wasatch Mountains where Snowbird, Alta, Deer Valley, Park City and (Robert Redford's) Sundance ski areas are.  If you've ever seen Redford's movie "Jeremiah Johnson," much of it was filmed near his home at Sundance, an area that we hiked fairly often.
The rest of my heart belongs to Yellowstone there. Fortunately, I'm only 4 1/2 hours from Yellowstone and get there fairly often, listening to MK/DS for several days in a row in the car as I drive the park.
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinetheknopfrules

• Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 04:38:56 AM »
Greetings fans from the great southwest!  I am so glad to know that you fellow Americans are out there because I have to admit I"m feeling a little lonely out here.  I'm so glad you posted that question because I have maintained that MK is terribly under appreciated here.
I first heard Sultans of Swing on the radio in 1979  and was awestruck by the guitar skills.  I didn't actually know what he looked like until the video of Money for Nothing came out.  After that...well, the rest is history!   :wave

OfflineSuprlinda

• Guitar George
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Hi, all.  I'm pretty new at posting here, but have been reading for a while.  I have to agree about Mark being underappreciated over here.  I have moved back to Montana after being in the St. Paul, Minnesota, area for many, many years, and in either place, I have had the same response - oh, yeah, dire straits!   ???

And Knopfling, I'm really glad you like Yellowstone.  I live just north of the park, so if you plan on the north entrance, let's see if we can make contact.  I have been through parts of Utah several times, but probably not much anymore.  :D

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
SuprL, I have been hoping for a winter trip, where I'd have to base in Gardiner, but I'm not sure I'm going to get that done. I do expect to be there in May, and I often go in August, September and/or October.
I spend most of my time on the northern loop as I enjoy trying to photograph the wildlife. I am sure we could arrange a meet, and that would be great fun. Always enjoy knowing people up there, and it would be so great to know someone who shares my love of MK.
Are you on forums.Yellowstone.net? I have really made a lot of friends through that site.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:53:05 PM by knopfling »
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
Greetings, I'm new here.  I've been listening to MK for about 8 years now.  I was not a fan at first, but as time went on he grew on me and he has gradually become my favorite artist.   Anyway being here in the US I have never met anyone else who is a fan.  Heck, most people are like "who" when you mention MK.  Kind of disapointing considering how talented he is and how big Dire Straits was.  I kind of get the impression most people see DS as a one hit wonder because of Money for nothing.  Are there any US fans here who know what I'm talking about?

Welcome dletm08 and all the other new people who found AMIT and introduced themselves! :wave I hope you all will have a wonderful time with reading and posting here at our forum!

DS have been very famous here in my country (Netherlands) and there are still many fans! But just like you, I got the same reaction when I talked about Mark Knopfler. Many people didn't remember him until I told he was the lead singer from DS! Then they all remembered SOS or WOL etc, but didn't know that he continued producing solo-albums as well!

To be honest, I didn't know about his solo carier either until I heard the beautiful song  "I'm The Fool" in 2006!  :P After listening to that one and other songs and of course after meeting Mark's wonderful group of fans, I became a big fan of his solo-music and of DS songs as well! 

For the fans that are planning to go to Europe, I hope you can let your dream come true! After all we don
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Cool.  Two from New Jersey!  I'm from PA.  Haven't thought about age group.  KitKat I'm in my 30s too.  I always imagine most MK fans would be a bit older than us.  I think I did things backward getting into MK got me interested in DS.

Hey hey!!  I was at Count Basie in Red Bank for the last tour and the crowd there was certainly our age and older...  I caught up to MK in 2002 (late 20s then) and the rest is history.  I'm on FB and occasionally post something MK related- a handful of my age peers know MK, and will comment, most don't.  Kind of similar to you, I got into Sailing to Philadelphia and worked my way all the way back to Dire Straits (the album). 

Did you catch the Dylan/MK tour?  Are you trekking across the pond for the 2013?

I haven't seen MK live.  I thought about going back in the fall when he was in Philly.  I'm not into Bob Dylan though and I had to be out the door early for work the next morning, so I passed.  Maybe next time.  It may be selfish of me to say, but it is kind of nice that MK's music isn't as ubiquitous as some artists.  It makes his music that much more special to listen to.  At the same time it would be nice if I didn't feel like the only person on the planet who listens to him.  Its a lonely life as an MK fan :smack!  Sailing to Philadelphia was the next to last album of his I got.  Ragpicker's Dream was the first I got.  I actually gave up on it and traded it in.  I wasn't into it with the exception of a couple songs.  A year or so later I heard What it is somewhere and ended up revisiting MK and have been listening ever since.  Me going across the pond?  Nope not happening any time in this decade  :)

OfflineDezi

• Guitar George
  • Love and Happiness
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »
Welcome dietM08! Another greeting from Orange County CA. Like so many others have commented, I'm a huge MK fan but often get the blank look when I mention his name. Then I'll say DS and the light dawns. I have never met anyone in person, other than at one of his concerts, who loves his music like I do. So it's great to have an online community which shares my passion. I've had the great fortune to see him three times and other than my wedding and the births of my children, they were they best nights of my life. And since life is short and uncertain my husband and I decided to do whatever it takes to see him in London. We may never be able to afford another vacation but will be at Royal Albert Hall for three nights. We'll be creating memories that will last a lifetime :D
"a spoonful of forgiveness goes a long long way and we all should do our best to get along"

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »

Quote Dezi: "And since life is short and uncertain my husband and I decided to do whatever it takes to see him in London. We may never be able to afford another vacation but will be at Royal Albert Hall for three nights. We'll be creating memories that will last a lifetime :D"

I agree with that Dezi, that is also the reason I wanted to go to Londonl!

I just saw at the list "Who is going where" that you will be at the first concert at the RAH also. So I hope to meet you there as well! 

Fieneke

OfflineDezi

• Guitar George
  • Love and Happiness
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Yes Fieneke, I am very excited to meet you! Also Darryl and all the other wonderful people I have come to know from our online communities. Don't we live in a great day and age where we can have friends from all over the world?
"a spoonful of forgiveness goes a long long way and we all should do our best to get along"

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »
Welcome dietM08! Another greeting from Orange County CA. Like so many others have commented, I'm a huge MK fan but often get the blank look when I mention his name. Then I'll say DS and the light dawns. I have never met anyone in person, other than at one of his concerts, who loves his music like I do. So it's great to have an online community which shares my passion. I've had the great fortune to see him three times and other than my wedding and the births of my children, they were they best nights of my life. And since life is short and uncertain my husband and I decided to do whatever it takes to see him in London. We may never be able to afford another vacation but will be at Royal Albert Hall for three nights. We'll be creating memories that will last a lifetime :D

Thank you.  So your husband is a MK fan?  I haven't been able to get my wife into him.  He is an aquired taste, but once you aquire it there is no going back! 

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

Thank you.  So your husband is a MK fan?  I haven't been able to get my wife into him.  He is an aquired taste, but once you aquire it there is no going back!
Make him sound like smoking! ;D
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »

Make him sound like smoking! ;D
or even,......nah, can't write that on this family forum....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Welcome dietM08!

Dezi, yeah it is great to meet so many people around the world! Internet made our world a lot bigger! LOL

Hey dletm08 my husband wasn't a big fan of Mark either in the beginning. I discovered Mark in 2006 after the Tour with Emmylou Harris. During the 2 years till the next Tour my husband never wanted to listen to Mark's music, even not in the car. BUT because he knew how much Mark's music meant for me, he decided to come with me to Amsterdam for our first concert in 2008!

Well I can tell we both were speechless! We loved meeting the fans and both enjoyed the concert very much! When we drove back home 2 1/2 hour the next day, we didn't talk. We only listened to the music of Mark and were still enjoying the concert of the evening before!

From that time my husband is a fan of Mark as well and we always play his music in the car!  In my opinion a concert is special, the atmosphere, the fans, the beautiful music makes us feel proud to be a fan of such great musicians, especial of Mark!  I hope your wife will go with you to a concert of Mark as well and that she will start to love his music as much as we do!

Fieneke
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:02:57 PM by Fieneke2 »

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »
Welcome dietM08!

Dezi, yeah it is great to meet so many people around the world! Internet made our world a lot bigger! LOL

Hey dletm08 my husband wasn't a big fan of Mark either in the beginning. I discovered Mark in 2006 after the Tour with Emmylou Harris. During the 2 years till the next Tour my husband never wanted to listen to Mark's music, even not in the car. BUT because he knew how much Mark's music meant for me, he decided to come with me to Amsterdam for our first concert in 2008!

Well I can tell we both were speechless! We loved meeting the fans and both enjoyed the concert very much! When we drove back home 2 1/2 hour the next day, we didn't talk. We only listened to the music of Mark and were still enjoying the concert of the evening before!

From that time my husband is a fan of Mark as well and we always play his music in the car!  In my opinion a concert is special, the atmosphere, the fans, the beautiful music makes us feel proud to be a fan of such great musicians, especial of Mark!  I hope your wife will go with you to a concert of Mark as well and that she will start to love his music as much as we do!

Fieneke

I hope so too, anything is possible!  I don't know though I think she is oblivious to anything that isn't top 40.   :disbelief

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.