Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Ragpicker's Dream Full Album Chords by foma Revisited  (Read 2543 times)

foma

The Ragpicker's Dream Full Album Chords by foma Revisited
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
I just revisited my old tab uploaded back in 2008 (time flies), because it was terrible.
Although it gained 20k views and positive reaction, so now it will be even more cool.
Every song have more details now and, most important thing, proper-named chords.

Especially I want you to check out title track's chords, it worth to look on. Astonishing.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/the_ragpickers_dream_album_crd.htm

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mark_knopfler/ragpickers_dream_crd.htm
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:04:28 PM by foma »

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
Re: The Ragpicker's Dream Full Album Chords by foma Revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »
Thanks very much. It's an impressive song, especially chord-wise, it's imho also impressive to be able to transcribe it by yourself. Just played the song by myself for the first time, only the Fm in the line "like teers in a beer" didn't sound right, probably F#m will do.

foma

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
Oh yes, it's a typo. Ultimate Guitar now offers instant tab editing, so it seems I'll revisit all my chords.

How Mark could come up with song like this I just don't know. Did you see those chords: half-diminished, then a chord with one more note, then another one. Guy said Mark brought the whole song into the studio... He's not a human, right.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:53:46 PM by foma »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
I read somewhere that MK didn't know how to read music. This means that the way he composes and thinks about a song has more to do with his flec=xibility as a guitarist and the barriers he tries to break with the guitar. But this is only one aspect.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

foma

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »
I kinda can read music, but the last time I did it on purpose was 5 or 6 years ago. It's just another skill, like juggling. I hate when musicians proud that they can't read music. Well, Tommy Emmanuel can't read music, but he knows every chord and every note on the guitar neck, even on the dusty end of it. And he definately CAN play chord list like mine, because he know chords. So its a dual thing, he can't read musical notes, but chord charts is a piece of cake.

Same with Mark. Obviously he worked hard to explore the neck, and then met Atkins and his Nashville friends, who taught chord knowledge to him.

And that's why I left classical music, because I fell in love with chords and improvisation. I think any musician other than classical can live without sight-reading.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
Foma, it is really wonderful to read your answer  here. I have been listening  to people suffering from  classical music elitism, claiming that only classical music is music.    :wave
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
I kinda can read music, but the last time I did it on purpose was 5 or 6 years ago. It's just another skill, like juggling. I hate when musicians proud that they can't read music.
Hah, I agree! I can read sheet music kinda too, I'm really slow at it. And like you I haven't done it in a couple of years, there's just no point doing it in the kind of music I play and with the bands I'm in. But I always admire musicians who can play straight from notes :) It takes a lot of practise to get it down!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
Foma, great job, as always  :thumbsup

the chords in the song TRD are really impressive

I used to read sheet music when I learned classical piano, in my early teen.
Then, I played keyboards in a band, and stopped using scores, because the lead singer/composer provided only chords, and I had to do with.

Later, I learned guitar alone, by reading chords diagrams, but not tabs.

I always tried to learn songs by ear. I read tabs only when I realy can't find what I hear.

Now, I came back to sheet music, because my old daughter plays piano, and I hope to play with her (4 hands) the "Dolly lullaby" by Faur

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 45 queries.