Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: John Mayer  (Read 2404 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
John Mayer
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
Gonna start this, because his latest CD is a dead set classic, Born and Raised. Fine Country Blues with tasteful production, superb songwriting and guitar playing.

Jackal has already mentioned the guys personality, which unfortunately is his nemesis in a lot of ways.

I never rated the guy until an apprentice at work (who is a guitar nutter, like me) begged me to watch Where The Light Is. Well, I gave in, and as anyone who has seen the first 20 mins or so will testify, I was blown away by the fingerpicking and singing.
Mayer still manages to soil the event by letting his personality speak during Bold As Love, such a shame, but still amazing.

Continuum is an amazing classic mature album, so is the new one. I have his early CDs, but I never listen to them.

I'm going out on a limb to say Knop fans would like Born And Raised, it's very subtle.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:58:45 AM by Fletch »
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

Re: John Mayer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
Coincidentally, a good friend of mine mailed me yesterday that he had ordered the Chris Botti CD and finally got it - and that he just had ordered the new Mayer album at the same time - he had a listen and wrote that he was really impressed and that the new Mayer album would have very much Knopfler feel. I will see him in a few days and then will probably be able to listen to the new Mayer (and Botti as a whole) album! I have Continuum, too, find it great in parts - and there is one live DVD somewhere, can't remember the exact title, will have a look and maybe use this new thread as inspiration to watch it again!  :)

I find it totally great and ok to open a Mayer thread - just keep in mind that there could be a Mayer-Expecting-Grain-Forum or something and you could make them immigrate big time -  ;D ;D ;D (oooops sorry that was bad, I will behave I promise....)  Don't know about it, does he have a great fan base?

LE

Jackal

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Listening to the Born and Raised album now on Grooveshark. Stunning! It has that 70s analog feel to it as well.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
Mayer is great! A brilliant guitar player and a good songwriter. I really recommend the Where the light is CD/DVD/Blu-ray. Stunning performance from first to last track. Three sets in one show: First an acoustic set, then a trio with a bassist and a drummer, and then a full band part at the end. He actually played Money for Nothing live together with Keith Urban and a headband (!) a couple of years a know. No doubt he's a Knopfler fan :)

It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:02:37 AM »
Oooooo, Mark has a song about a submarine too! Mayers, is pretty darn good!!! I believe the The Beatles wrote a submarine song as well...? ::)

Whilst waiting for Marks new album, you should all do yourself a favour and get Born & Raised! Countless listens later, it's still a great record.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
They (John and keith) seemed to ave had a lot of fun.watched it until the end, did not expect that.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
They (John and keith) seemed to ave had a lot of fun.watched it until the end, did not expect that.

Keith is a huge Knop fan, and cites discovering early Dire Straits as the reason he picked up a guitar.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »
Yeah, somewhere he mentions meeting mark in a restaurant in Nashvillel and behaving like a real fan. Funny really
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 43 queries.