Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Lossless AUD recording AND/OR Lossy Soundboard recording....  (Read 2010 times)

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Lossless AUD recording AND/OR Lossy Soundboard recording....
« on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
Hi All
I know that MP3 is a lossy format even though 320 Kbps is a very good audio quality. If quality is measured by the quality of the experience you feel when you listen, the athmosphere, mood etc.
I prefer lossless soundboard .flac recordings, and I have only few AUD recordings. I can of course hear the difference between high quality .flac to a "bad" and low quality .mp3 file.
Of course Pottels and others AUD recordings are sublime to get new stuff and recordings of shows we dont get on Simfy for example.
But I wonder why some of you prefer lossless AUD recordings, instead of lossy (mp3) SB recording of, let us say the same show ?. Not another rare only AUD show, but the same one. One AUD recording in .flac and one SB in .MP3 (maybe 192 kbps and above) of the same show.... ??

I am not a audiophile ;-)  and maybe thats the reason why I just dont get it  :D... I really dont get the attitude (from Spanish tracker among others) against .mp3 files.
We are fortunate to have http://live.knopflertk.net/  for those files.

Let me give you an example: I recently found (new to me) .mp3 soundboard recordings of the Minneapolis and Milwaukee, both from 2005 in 192 kbps. These are really great, clear SB recordings to have but they are not on the tracker solely because of the format of .mp3   :-\

I am not a .mp3 lover, my humble point is that even though I love the high quality .flac files, very good shows are overlooked because of this silly (in my opinion) rule of not posting SB shows in .mp3 on the tracker.

On the positive side, I was full of joy when I found the above mentionend SB
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:11:24 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
Re: Lossless AUD recording AND/OR Lossy Soundboard recording....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
But I wonder why some of you prefer lossless AUD recordings, instead of lossy (mp3) SB recording of, let us say the same show ?. Not another rare only AUD show, but the same one. One AUD recording in .flac and one SB in .MP3 (maybe 192 kbps and above) of the same show.... ??

I definitely prefer the SBDs if there's no other just lossy soure. This goes especially for the earlier era, when there were not so many so good AUDs. But for the more recent stuff I guess there are some people who would prefer AUD over lossy SBD (but certainly not me).

Let me give you an example: I recently found (new to me) .mp3 soundboard recordings of the Minneapolis and Milwaukee, both from 2005 in 192 kbps. These are really great, clear SB recordings to have but they are not on the tracker solely because of the format of .mp3   :-\

Isn't the reason they not on the tracker that these were official recordings (crowfly)? It would almost be like sharing simfy recs of the previous tour on the tracker... (although I guess you can't buy the Crowflys anymore, but you can buy simfys, but official is official, or is it not?)
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
I reckon that the reason will be because they deteriorate over time with repeated listening and recording.  Therefore to trade again and again, further down the chain it would be a little irresponsible to encourage mp3's as a source in trading circles but fine for personal use only.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
Mp3 is a compression mode based in cut frequencies, that frequencies are deleted. The biggest the compression is, the worst is sound because all that frequencies deleted.

Flac is a compression mode that respect the music frequencies so the sound is as perfect as it can be.

Of course a 320 mp3 sounds very good, but that frequencies are missing forever, while in a flac is intact.

Thats what I always heard, maybe someone could explain it better.

And my ear is not good enough to listen to the difference between a 320 mp3 and a flac  ;D

But a 128 mp3, yes, sometimes is like being in a bubble...
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 39 queries.