Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A little longer version of SB  (Read 5499 times)

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
A little longer version of SB
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
Just got this from Google News Alerts. It's a little longer version of the Silvertown Blues live soundcheck from 2001 than I have. Still not the full song, but I found it interesting to hear more of it.

http://www.931wdrq.com/mark-knopfler-silvertown-blues-live-soundcheck-munich-2001/comment-page-1/#comment-3877
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: A little longer version of SB
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
Lovely song.
I believe that Mark is not satisfied with it, you can hear it in his playing and singing.
Very good though! ;D
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
Guy has mentioned that it's a hard song to do live, for some reason. He had backup singers on the album original, so maybe that's part of it.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
I have the CD with the complete soundcheck including drum and key check, talking, Puff the magic dragon improvisation, Portobello Belle (!), Romeo and great parts of Speedway at Nazareth. I like the part where Mark asks with a polite voice "What do you want us to play, Robbie?" (from memory, too lazy to have a listen to it now), and as Robbie (Robert Collins I assume) says something like "electric stuff like Speedway", Mark's reply is "coming up..." and they play it, very powerful...

This clip above however seems to come from this CD. So which version was the shorter one you had before?

There is a little bit of talking directly after this clip, and it is a pity that you can hardly understand a thing of it. Mark explains there why he is not happy
with the guitar parts, but I can't understand exactly what he says. He says at some point "...it's not enough for me" and it goes about switching between guitar parts...

LE

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
I absolutely LOVE this song !!!!!! Hope it gets played live this tour. ( I'm dreaming ! )

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
I have the CD with the complete soundcheck including drum and key check, talking, Puff the magic dragon improvisation, Portobello Belle (!), Romeo and great parts of Speedway at Nazareth. I like the part where Mark asks with a polite voice "What do you want us to play, Robbie?" (from memory, too lazy to have a listen to it now), and as Robbie (Robert Collins I assume) says something like "electric stuff like Speedway", Mark's reply is "coming up..." and they play it, very powerful...

This clip above however seems to come from this CD. So which version was the shorter one you had before?

There is a little bit of talking directly after this clip, and it is a pity that you can hardly understand a thing of it. Mark explains there why he is not happy
with the guitar parts, but I can't understand exactly what he says. He says at some point "...it's not enough for me" and it goes about switching between guitar parts...

LE

Again from memory, I think MK's concern is that there's too long a period where it's just him playing before the song really gets going. OK on record but a bit boring live I guess.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
Guy's comment was that Mark felt that there were three distinct "MK guitar parts" that he played on the record, meaning that he wanted to play rhytm and lead. This was long before Richard got to play fills in TR, remember... ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:28:42 PM »
Guy's comment was that Mark felt that there were three distinct "MK guitar parts" that he played on the record, meaning that he wanted to play rhytm and lead. This was long before Richard got to play fills in TR, remember... ;)

Ah, thanks, both, Tallgren and Dusty!

LE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:14:38 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
Perhaps it never would have sounded right without Glenn Tilbrook on backing vocals anyway... he's an integral part to that song imho.

I have to say that its sounds pretty awesome even as it was to me!!!
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 03:27:12 AM »
Thanks for this recording!
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »
LoveExpresso, can't recall what bootleg it's on, but it's just a cut-off version of this, probably half as long. Doesn't have MK talking on it.
I didn't know the full soundcheck recording that you have existed. That would be cool to have!
linda

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Would be nice to hear this one live one day. Still can't believe he played songs like calling elvis (boring one imo) and left out this one... ::) :-\

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 43 queries.