Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK listed at #96 in Rolling Stone's "250 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" List  (Read 3599 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
I can't be bothered to read the list again, but, are these also missing?
Tommy Emmanuel.
Malmsteen.
Gary Moore.
Sergovia.
B.B. King, surely I didn't notice him in there :hmm
J.J. Cale.

I only scanned the top 10, I thought BB was there.

By the way, this list has been a 100% success in that it has got us speaking about Rolling Stone magazine which was the original intention. :)
therefore i shall be mostly closing this thread :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I can't be bothered to read the list again, but, are these also missing?
Tommy Emmanuel.
Malmsteen.
Gary Moore.
Sergovia.
B.B. King, surely I didn't notice him in there :hmm
J.J. Cale.

I only scanned the top 10, I thought BB was there.

By the way, this list has been a 100% success in that it has got us speaking about Rolling Stone magazine which was the original intention. :)
therefore i shall be mostly closing this thread :-)

We shall close it in our hearts, not on our forums. But seriously, I don't think this "negative press" does Rolling Stone any favour.

If anything, people would advise not buying and not reading this piece of doo-doo magazine.

Love it or hate it, they still have a lot of influence, and their lists are getting onto Wikipedia and bios of musicians, etc.

With this in mind, you would think they would be less trolling and more serious but all they can do is to assemble a big pile of nonsense.

They deserve the shame.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
just leaving this here...
https://youtu.be/YkjFAcJChXc?si=oxKvQNsWWZnP730z

Still don't think this is the "any press is good press" situation. Basically, every big YouTuber made fun of this list and beat it to death, it's embarrassing for RS.

They made so many mistakes with this list, an apology would be nice. Or a complete revision of the list with an additional 50-100 missing guitar players.

The first list was released back in 2011, a completely different time, and it was easier to get away with stupid controversial lists. Now it's different.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid

I don't know why people with a minimum musical knowledge care about these Rolling Stone or whereever list about the top (pick a number) guitar players, drummers, albums...

These lists are all about the fuzz and clickbait
People making YT videos, complaing about these lists and then everybody clicks on the link and the circle goes on.

I keep listening my fav musicians, albums and thats fine.
Music is about comunication.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I don't know why people with a minimum musical knowledge care about these Rolling Stone or whereever list about the top (pick a number) guitar players, drummers, albums...

These lists are all about the fuzz and clickbait
People making YT videos, complaing about these lists and then everybody clicks on the link and the circle goes on.

I keep listening my fav musicians, albums and thats fine.
Music is about comunication.

It's called "influence". Whatever Rick Beato posts, it becomes popular instantly. Love it or hate it, but Rolling Stone is a big and old magazine, which you think would make them think twice before publishing such an absurd article. If this magazine wasn't big and popular, nobody would talk about it. If I'll go and release a list of 100 guitar players, nobody would care.

When you have the audience, any audience, you need to respect it and think twice before publishing BS lists which are so disrespectful to anybody, that they truly deserve all the hate. I hope this list could be one of Rolling Stone's swan songs.

This situation proves that old-school magazines lost the battle with YouTubers, and the same happens in automotive and other industries. People want videos, nobody wants articles. I bet soon Rick Beato will release his own version of the 250 guitarists list and it will get seen by as many pairs of eyes as Rolling Stone magazine had in its entire lifetime, and it will be better.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
People want videos, nobody wants articles.

yes sadly...  :-\ :'(

I know that really well... my articles have very very few views, shares or comments, regarding videos on YT

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I know that really well... my articles have very very few views, shares or comments, regarding videos on YT

It reminds me of Doug DeMuro's story, who started writing articles on car websites, then got encouraged to make YouTube videos instead and went on to become one of the most influential car YouTubers on the platform, building a whole empire worth dozens of millions of dollars now. With a lot of work though, he's been uploading up to 3 quality videos a week for a number of years now without stopping.

Even though he "suffered" from the automotive industry not recognising car YouTubers, with them still preferring printed car magazines and official press, despite each of his videos getting millions of views, eventually videos took over. Same with tech companies, now Apple and Samsung invite seemingly YouTubers only to their events, and MKBHD gets so many views it does not even seem real at this point.

So this Rolling Stone list with all their half-century history made tiny ripples in the water compared to what some of the people can do pretty much single-handedly.

I'm lowkey dreaming about writing a book, but at the same time thinking who on Earth is going to read a book anyway? It's definitely not the 21st-century medium, with all due respect. Now people want videos, interactive content, VR, podcasts, interviews, almost anything but articles and books.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid

It's called "influence". Whatever Rick Beato posts, it becomes popular instantly. Love it or hate it, but Rolling Stone is a big and old magazine, which you think would make them think twice before publishing such an absurd article. If this magazine wasn't big and popular, nobody would talk about it. If I'll go and release a list of 100 guitar players, nobody would care.

When you have the audience, any audience

All of theses Top Something are pure Clickbait.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

When you have the audience, any audience

All of theses Top Something are pure Clickbait.

Clearly. In fact, TOP 5 of Rick Beato's videos are none other than 5 TOP 20 countdowns. He can make a countdown video of his countdowns. Sad but true.

With this said, it's a bit funny to see him complaining about another TOP 250 list when he created examples of this nonsense himself.

Offlinenando_5994

• Local Hero
A woke list

Please don't infect our happy forum with this kind of nonsense.
i am assuming this was a sarcastic comment.....

You assumed right!

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Rolling Stone never aimed at making the best possible list, they wanted clicks. The list is a joke and I’m pretty sure they know it and are laughing at everyone right now.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

It reminds me of Doug DeMuro's story, who started writing articles on car websites, then got encouraged to make YouTube videos instead and went on to become one of the most influential car YouTubers on the platform, building a whole empire worth dozens of millions of dollars now. With a lot of work though, he's been uploading up to 3 quality videos a week for a number of years now without stopping.

Even though he "suffered" from the automotive industry not recognising car YouTubers, with them still preferring printed car magazines and official press, despite each of his videos getting millions of views, eventually videos took over. Same with tech companies, now Apple and Samsung invite seemingly YouTubers only to their events, and MKBHD gets so many views it does not even seem real at this point.

So this Rolling Stone list with all their half-century history made tiny ripples in the water compared to what some of the people can do pretty much single-handedly.

I'm lowkey dreaming about writing a book, but at the same time thinking who on Earth is going to read a book anyway? It's definitely not the 21st-century medium, with all due respect. Now people want videos, interactive content, VR, podcasts, interviews, almost anything but articles and books.
looovee  doug. not everyone does though

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.