Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: All Along the Watchtower, if it were written by Dire Straits  (Read 2013 times)

OfflineLaszloB

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
All Along the Watchtower, if it were written by Dire Straits
« on: December 05, 2021, 12:37:00 AM »

Another one for the Dire Straits tribute section.

After Private Dancer I was up for another fast paced track and I thought this one would fit perfectly.
I've started noticing that most of these licks, when played in C#m or Dm, instantly sound like something Knopfler would play.

Anyway, I hope you like it! And I'm looking forward to some opinions about it from some true DS fans ;)
And if you have suggestions for future videos, do let me know!

Cheers!

- Laszlo

Love Expresso

Re: All Along the Watchtower, if it were written by Dire Straits
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:54:38 AM »
Great! You should release it officially.  :thumbsup

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 01:21:32 PM »
Beautiful tone and awesome playing!  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
I've started noticing that most of these licks, when played in C#m or Dm, instantly sound like something Knopfler would play.

yes, Lady writer is in C#m and has almost the same chords progression in the verse, so it's natural that licks sounds DS  :)

well done  :thumbsup

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »
I've really enjoyed this series of videos but I must say this is my favourite so far - the early 'stripped back four piece' Dire Straits sound suits this song extremely well. It fits perfectly somewhere between Dylan's original folk rock recording and Hendrix's heavier, more bluesy interpretation (I consider both essential for different reasons) and feels like the band could have recorded this song as a B-side for one of their early singles.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
Shouldn't the title be "If it were written by Mark Knopfler" Dire Straits didn't write anything!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
Shouldn't the title be "If it were written by Mark Knopfler" Dire Straits didn't write anything!!

Yes, but technically you can also say "if were performed by Dire Straits", you don't need to write something in order to play it. But the OG title is catchy and that's probably the point ;D

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 01:35:08 PM »

This is a YouTube video, not a MK fan forum video. A lot of non-fan people know Dire Straits but how many remember the name of the man with the headband?

I can't remember how many times in my life I have said : I really love Mark Knopfler's music. -- Who ? -- The guy with the headband playing guitar with Dire Straits. -- Oh yes, that one. lol

The guy will attract more people -- and generate more clicks -- if he mentions Dire Straits instead of Mark. @quizzaciously, "performed" is good indeed.

Aside from this, it's very well played. Good job. Sounds like Lady Writer.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 01:51:56 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »

This is a YouTube video, not a MK fan forum video. A lot of non-fan people know Dire Straits but how many remember the name of the man with the headband?

I can't remember how many times in my life I have said : I really love Mark Knopfler's music. -- Who ? -- The guy with the headband playing guitar with Dire Straits. -- Oh yes, that one. lol

The guy will attract more people -- and generate more clicks -- if he mentions Dire Straits instead of Mark. @quizzaciously, "performed" is good indeed.

Aside from this, it's very well played. Good job. Sounds like Lady Writer.

Absolutely, Mark did a great job of turning down his own fame. When I was in school in the early to late 2000s, only 1 guy in the whole school knew who MK was. That was in Russia, of course, but still. A lot of people knew Dire Straits.

Laszlo is a great example of when an actual pro musician makes MK videos. I'm not a pro musician, so I can only teach, but playing and recording on this level are pretty insane tasks. And very entertaining, that's for sure.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »
Fair point, but it is not "written" by Dire Straits, it would have been better to say "If performed by Dire Straits"  I have had to remind people who Mark was in the past, but not for a long time now, I think his name is bigger and more well known than you think.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineLaszloB

• Guitar George
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »

I'm aware Mark did most of the writing but it is, as @quizzaciously said, because Dire Straits is a bigger name and does indeed get more views.
On this site everyone ofcourse knows, but to the general audience I think the name Dire Straits is substantially bigger than Mark Knopfler.
And if I did put Mark Knopfler in the title, perhaps people would expect versions that are more in line with his solo work, so that's why I went with Dire Straits.
"If performed by Dire Straits" would probably be suitable aswell.

I do more than just Dire Straits stuff though, so for some bands 'written by' would work, for some a little less. But it's quite a hassle to go and change 25 titles and thumbnails now, so I'm gonna leave it as it is for now. I don't feel like I'm misleading the audience too much with that ;D

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 11:49:22 PM »
I do more than just Dire Straits stuff though, so for some bands 'written by' would work, for some a little less. But it's quite a hassle to go and change 25 titles and thumbnails now, so I'm gonna leave it as it is for now. I don't feel like I'm misleading the audience too much with that ;D

Not at all. It's just that you're on a fan forum and some of us (including me) like to be very fussy about small details. Next time you pop-up with a video, don't forget to write "Performed by Dire Straits and that'll be fine. ;D

Seriously, the main point is that your videos are pretty cool. I wish I could play the guitar like you do. 

OfflineLaszloB

• Guitar George
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 12:34:06 AM »

Not at all. It's just that you're on a fan forum and some of us (including me) like to be very fussy about small details. Next time you pop-up with a video, don't forget to write "Performed by Dire Straits and that'll be fine. ;D

Seriously, the main point is that your videos are pretty cool. I wish I could play the guitar like you do.

Ahh, I see your point! Thanks for the compliment!  :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 41 queries.