Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Secret Policeman's Third Ball--and othesr  (Read 3682 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
Secret Policeman's Third Ball--and othesr
« on: December 06, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
I just read online that dvd versions of The Secret Policeman's Third Ball, on which MK appears, will be released on DVD in January!    Several other events of the same Amnesty series will be in the set. 
Here is the link: http://homemediamagazine.com/tv-dvd/unveiling-britains-secret-14017   Probably when it comes out one can buy it on amazon or something similar.
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Secret Policeman's Third Ball--and othesr
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:07:34 PM »
awesome, finally!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:35 AM »
What we've got are not of DVD quality?

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »
I think that what we have is the VHS of the single concert.  This is an official re-release in DVD, with two additional discs.  :-*
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »
Hmmm  This looks like all of them all right, and quite a bit less expensive.  Perhaps the one coming in January is some sort of 'new and improved' version.   But, again, Dusty, you've trumped me.   :'( :-*
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlinedirefran

• Guitar George
  • Brothers in Dreams - La Knopflertk
    • La Knopflertk - Brothers in dreams
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:21:29 AM »
La Knopflertk - Brothers in Dreams
http://www.knopflertk.net/bienvenida.htm

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
but it seems to be not complete, so let'S hope the new one is complete.
here a comment from the one on amazon:
Much to my regret, for some odd reason, I don't think I have ever seen a "truly complete" version of any one of these wonderful performances...

When these shows came out on VHS, I found several very annoying differences in regard to the length and 'completeness' of the shows. The PAL videos contained bits and sketches that did not appear on the NTSC videos, entitled under the same name, and vice versa. (This was the case with all of the shows).

Now, finally (!), these shows are available on DVD!!! - and still, I found some missing bits. For instance: Billy Connolly's 'Country & Western' sketch from "The Secret Policeman's Ball" does not appear here. (And the funny thing is, that you can even see his name on the credits...), another missing bit is Lenny Henry's wonderful monologue as Trever Netelford with his 'inquiring mind' (- missing from "The Secret Policeman's Biggest Ball") and there are a couple of others... - and these are things that you can get on the videos (and again, it depends on which ones you buy...).

Why can't we ever get a full and complete version of these shows??? Why??? Why??? Why???

Another thing - and this will end my short chain of complaints -If they're going to make a special "Best-of Music Edition" (- which I think is rather silly - because there's nothing "new". You've already got all those musical numbers on the other DVDs in the set - and all you need to do it to skip chapters), why not make a "Best-of Comedy Edition" as well? - for the people who are more interested in the comedy side of these shows?

But, all nitpicking aside, this a really fabulous collection! The transfer may seem not-very-good, but I think that concidering the horrific origional masters, the transfer is fantastic!!

So it's missing a couple of funny bits... big-deal... - It has plenty of other great sketches and comedy routines, as well as all the best British-music hits from the 70s and 80s.

This set contains the show, which I believe should be in the house of anyone who conciders himself to be a Monty Python fan, that has a version of the Parrot Sketch where you can see Michael Palin being very 'naughty', giggling and trying to keep a stight face... absolutely hilarious!!!.. It's as though Palin and Cleese are virtually trying to 'break' each other...

Another favorite of mine is the Peter Cook's fabulous "Memories of a Miner"... and there are plenty of other wonderful enjoyable materail from one of the best periods of British comedy...

All in all, this is a very highly recomended set and it's worth the money.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.