Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: NHBs concert recordings  (Read 5543 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: NHBs concert recordings
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
Great to hear this stuff.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »
It's like a school history lesson, only interesting!

I think the Locherbie show was truly a great show with wonderful versions of all songs.  Glasgow was also excellent with an outstanding YOSW, but unfortunately we never got the full show on the Radio Clyde broadcast. :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »

I think the Locherbie show was truly a great show with wonderful versions of all songs.  Glasgow was also excellent with an outstanding YOSW, but unfortunately we never got the full show on the Radio Clyde broadcast. :(

Did that radio a live broadcast, or did they recorded it and broadcast later? It would so great to have the full show...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »

Did that radio a live broadcast, or did they recorded it and broadcast later? It would so great to have the full show...

I don't know.  It's a local radio channel in Glasgow but I can pick it up where I live (internet too now obviously) however at the time I hadn't a clue it was being broadcasted.  The first time I heard about this show was when I got the bootleg!  Don't you just hate it when the solo fades out at the end of Railroad Worksong.  Nooooooooo.

I wasn't at the show either - I didn't even know about the Hillbillies tour in 1990.  Information at that time (pre-internet) was so rare and it was only a chance sighting in a newspaper that I saw an advert for DS playing the SECC that I got to see them in 1991 or I would never even have known about that either.  I never even knew about the DSIS.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:38:37 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Just listening to Lockerbie again.  I love "When You've Got a Good Friend"!    Now I DO wish NHB would get together for some gigs like this again!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
DMG, do you think that radio can be contacted and asked them about it? Like "i just found out your station broadcasted this show on 90, can it be rebroadcasted or any way to get it?  ;)
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
DMG, do you think that radio can be contacted and asked them about it? Like "i just found out your station broadcasted this show on 90, can it be rebroadcasted or any way to get it?  ;)

I have sent them a message.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »
i wish we could get a fresh transfer from the original video recording....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
As dmg said, the Glasgow NHB show was not broadcast "live" while the performance was actually taking place but was recorded and an edited version was broadcast.  I have a feeling that, at one time, Radio Clyde was broadcast to a wider area  than at present but I'm not sure.  I certainly did not record the broadcast myself but got it from a contact (I forget from whom) and the recording was OK but my contact was not perfectly tuned in to the station. It may be that he was on the edge of the broadcast range.

The more technical people on this site may comment and may contradict me but I doubt that it is a recording from the soundboard. More likely, Radio Clyde recorded it themselves. Settings for the sound that the band would want for that particular venue would be different from the settings required for a broadcast, I would have thought. Am I wrong?

I am pleased that the Lockerbie recording has been enjoyed by others. The venue being a former cinema not usually used for live gigs, there was no dressing room. I seem to recall that they used some kind of small hall next door, requiring them to go outside to go inside, as it were. I have a vague memory of photographs taken of the band in the passageway between the two - but it was a long time ago.

As for those cassettes, not much would be of direct interest here, I suspect, but there are many radio shows about all manner of musicians, performers and others. I did record Brendan Croker in 1993, with his permission, at The Bridge Hotel in Newcastle, which very close to those steps in one of MK's songs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:05:57 AM by twm »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Settings for the sound that the band would want for that particular venue would be different from the settings required for a broadcast, I would have thought. Am I wrong?

every time a show is filmed/recorded/broadcasted (I mean professionnaly) the settings for the broadcast go through another soundboard than the one used for the FOH mixing, or at least if it's the same soundboard, there are 2 different mixes (using aux on the desk for example)
so even if the band want a particular sound due to a venue, it should not prevent to record and broadcast it

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »
I think that was what I was getting at. "Soundboard", to me, suggests the FOH mix - what we hear in the hall.  The broadcast of a live concert would use a different mix from the FOH one. To me, that is entirely logical and I suggested a more generic term such as "line recording" for such recordings.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:09 AM »
I think that was what I was getting at. "Soundboard", to me, suggests the FOH mix - what we hear in the hall.  The broadcast of a live concert would use a different mix from the FOH one. To me, that is entirely logical and I suggested a more generic term such as "line recording" for such recordings.

totally agree

on my personnal bootleg list, I don't write "soundboard" but rather the broadcast source : TV, radio, in ear monitor, etc... and I write soundboard when it's obviously a mix comming from the soundboard.

by the way a mix can comes out the soundboard but not being the FOH mix, rather an aux mix for monitor return, or anything else.

an example is the Cleveland 85 gig (silver pressed bootleg "american tour") : the mix is obviosuly a mix for Mark's monitor return (his voice and guitar and far more present than other intsruments, no reverb)

another example is the in ear monitor from LA 2001. It's not the FOH mix, but it comes from a sounboard so to say, in fact another mini soundboard used only for this purpose.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »
A few more comments on the NHB Lockerbie concert.

First, thanks for posting the link. I have skipped my way through it, alighting here and there. For an audience video shot so long ago, it's not bad at all but not as good as my recall of it. The sections with blue light are clearer but with the red lights you get "colour-bleed" and "whiteout" , made worse when the spots are turned on.

Second, the missing intros on "Down the road" and "One woman man" presumably result from keeping the camera hidden when the house lights were on.

Third, by the timing at the end of "Blues Stay Away From Me" and the way the song ends visually, it looks as though the recording was done with one-hour video-cassettes and that it was necessary to change cassettes at this point, which would at least explain one of the omissions (the intro to "Worksong") and why the camera is quite shaky at that point the filming resumes (he was getting the camera back in position).

Fourth, is it my imagination but is the sound slightly out of synch with the visuals on "Worksong" and thereafter. And the visuals are less good, I think.

Fifth, I will try to find out if the original recording is still in existence but don't hold your breath - it was almost 24 years ago and my friend may not have kept it.

Sixth, I have a very vague memory that my friend did not get the complete concert - that he missed at least one encore song.  Does that fit with any other information that you lot have?

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.