Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mobile Fidelity has announced Brothers in Arms SACD (July 2013)  (Read 7856 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Mobile Fidelity has announced Brothers in Arms SACD (July 2013)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »
herlock

1) For about 90% of HDCD releases with logo or without (which indicated as HDCD during playback) are not actually mastered using HDCD techology. It means that mastering engeeners did not use any HDCD filters. Or they just used Pacific Micronics A/D converter. In any case, the Pacific Micronics equipment (PM Machine One/Two or PM A/D converter) put the HDCD sub-code in the signal. You can see HDCD logo lights but there is nothing has to be decoded. Shangri-La and Private Investigations are mastered wihout HDCD filters and it does not require any decoder.

2) But another MK releases from 1996 to 2000, including GH, STP, Wag The Dog, Metroland and all sountracks remasters were mastered with Peak Extend filter (Wag the Dog also used LLE filter). I do not need any HDCD player more due to I use PC as a source, and there a lot tools to decode HDCD like Cue Tools or plugin for Foobar . All of it use HDCD decoder library taken from Microsoft software decoder.  So it is possible now to decode it to 24/44 wav of flac. Decoded signal does not have an actually 24bit resolution. It has floating bitrate from 17 up to 20bit (20bit on the maximum peaks, which are extened during the decoding and palyback).

You are absolutely correct. I am pleased to see that they are indeed some people who know what they talk about regarding sound technology :) I did not want to go into such details, but my point was, and I believe still holds: no doubt that audio geeks like you en me can re-generate CDs that do no need Peak Extension anymore, and therefore play in normal CD players in an optimal manner. Still, it should not be assumed that everybody can or even want to do that. These CDs should be re-issued, period.

One thing I did not know is that Private Investigations was encoded without Peak Extension. Are you sure about that ? I know for sure it is the case for Shangri-La, but not for that one...

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
One thing I did not know is that Private Investigations was encoded without Peak Extension. Are you sure about that ? I know for sure it is the case for Shangri-La, but not for that one...

Yes, sure. As well as I sure that Bob Ludwing used intensively his  Pacific Microsonics Model 2 AD/DA convertor from 1999 till mid of 2000s. Not only for Mark's releases but for another releases like Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry remasters which also were mastered without HDCD filters.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
Yes I may have mixed reading the "Mobile Fidelity
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
I never experienced HDCD and did not notice anything sub quality on my GH CD played on my HDCD decoderless Marantz SE CD player. The only bad thing on that CD is that AWITN guitar solo is fading at the end.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.