Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Cafe racers, Talking Heads/Climax Blues Band support. Do any recordings exist??  (Read 8626 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Speaking of early stuff, is it true that the SOS demo tape given to Charlie Gillett had an extra completely unreleased track on it that has never seen the light of day since? Did we ever find any conclusive evidence on that or is the verdict still out?

And it's not included in the Early demos bootleg record which is out there and most of us hear have it or have heard it? But what's the use searching? You know the quests for such "holy grails" is usually in vain,but initiated for the pure joy of the adventurous hunt. Anyway Charlie has left the building of what we call world a couple of years ago, and I don't expect any of the members that probably have the rest demos, not respecting Mark's will, and releasing them, at least not without a good compensation, to worth the risk, and legal cost. But lets face it, we are not that many fans around the globe. Uncut and NME and MOJO and all these nice magazines publish special issues all the time for 10-12 artists: Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Who, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin and surprisingly Frank Zappa. No Dire straits, no MK and no other! Where is Eric Clapton, J.J.Cale, Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen etc. Probably they will consider such a tribute when they pass on. Shame. But it goes to show that all other artists have a bigger solid fan base, that will buy in the vast numbers, in order to cover the expenses and even make a profit.
So how about doing it ourselves?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Speaking of early stuff, is it true that the SOS demo tape given to Charlie Gillett had an extra completely unreleased track on it that has never seen the light of day since? Did we ever find any conclusive evidence on that or is the verdict still out?

I guess you're talking about "sacred loving", a song writen by David.

according to M. Oldfield 's book, the demo tape given to Gillett contained 5 songs : Sultans, Wild west end, Waterline, Water of love and Sacred loving

according to TK, it was recorded on 27/07/1977 (go to Mknews, and then to "biogs" --> MK)

the only 3 first songs remained on the early demos bootleg

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...

True :  the tape featured even more three others that will end on the first album : Wild West End, Down to the Waterline and Water of Love, all recorded at Pathway studio on July 27th(?) 1977 for
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
Yes, Sacred Loving, that was it! I knew the song had the word "love" in it, but I couldn't remember the title. Thanks for the info.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
It is said that Elvis Costello was around in that studio and listened to Sacred loving, and after that he went to record his "Watching the detectives" song.

A long time ago I read that actually "Watching the detectives" was based on Sacred loving and I recall DK answering a "kind-of-yes" about it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:05:29 PM by jbaent »
So Long

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
David Knopfler's song 'Bernadette' that appeared on some
of the early DS gigs has that chugging sort of feel
to it, quite similar to the 'watching the detectives' song
by Elvis Costello.

Here it is. I love this song!!!

Cheers. BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
Yea, I would love to hear the original demo, but I doubt we'll ever get the chance. It's amazing how much DK sounds like MK in that YT clip.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
3 years ago i made also an video of Bernadette by David Knopfler when he was for the first and only time in the Netherlands.

Here it is:

Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Just found that in a site where the late Charlie Gillett talks about the famous tape:

http://www.charliegillett.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2839

Postby Charlie
So Long

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Nice find jbaent! Thanks for sharing!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.