Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Southbound Again  (Read 2876 times)

OfflineBuford T Justice

• Guitar George
Southbound Again
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
Hello all.

This is my first post having found this messageboard. I was a huge Dire Straits fan, spending many years delivering newspapers after school listening to their albums on my old Walkman (ah, those pre IPod days!) back in the late 1980s through to early 1990s.

Having drifted away over the years I've recently rediscovered my appreciation for the band, particularly those fantastic early albums. Not so keen on the solo material, particularly when compared with the moodiness of the early Straits.....perhaps that's because of the rise tinted view one retains onwards their youth (which I associate with Dire Staits' music).

I've tried searching to see if this item has come up before but to no avail. If it has then apologies for re-posting.

I can recall on my old cassette versions if the albums that an additional verse existed in the printed out lyrics for Southbound Again. I'm just wondering if an extended version was ever recorded which includes this extra verse or if it was a misprint in the notes.

All the best everyone.
Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Southbound Again
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
That'll be the demo version you've heard.

"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineBuford T Justice

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
Thanks for that, I've never heard that version before.

Looks as though the printing of the song lyrics were based on this version rather than the album version. I've always wondered where that verse went to!

Other than YouTube are there any online sources you can recommend for rare tracks, particularly any which allow downloading of mp3 files?
Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »
Thanks for that, I've never heard that version before.

Looks as though the printing of the song lyrics were based on this version rather than the album version. I've always wondered where that verse went to!

Other than YouTube are there any online sources you can recommend for rare tracks, particularly any which allow downloading of mp3 files?

There's the tracker where you can download torrents of various MK/DS bootlegs, mainly in FLAC format:

http://tracker.knopflertk.net/index.php
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »
You will literally find a bit of everything in the DS-MK catalog on the tracker site Buford...and there is plenty of help available here if you've never used torrents before. Btw...love the nick 'Buford'..haven't seen "Smokey and the Bandit" in a while..but always lost it whenever I thought of Jackie Gleason's lines in it..."Junior..there is no way..NO WAY that you are the fruit of my loins"

;D
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.