Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Seattle on mk.com  (Read 15198 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Seattle on mk.com
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
I am pretty sure that the thing that I love so much about "Seattle" is all apart from the guitar - and I am pretty sure too that no other artist can deliver that. This absolute relaxed feeling, the rhythm, the atmosphere, who do you think would be able to create such a great mood and vibe? The guitar part is just
the icing of the cake (for me). Different opinions. I was expecting this guitar hero thing discussion, it comes up every time MK releases new stuff. It is inevitalbe. Astonishing though every time about WHICH song that is discussed it comes up - for me! No offence meant of course!  ;) I guess there will be enough guitar playing, the snippet of "Today is Okay" sounds promising, I love the pure sound of Go, Love and lots of Slide on Don't Forget Your Hat and Gator Blood... If any, this album seems to have much more guitar noodling than the last 2, 3 releases...

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
His voice to me is a very important part of his music, probably just as important as a guitar solo is to you!   I really love his voice - it is so soothing, but at the same time there can be still that bit of an edge and a snarl - he does it magnificently towards the end of Restless Farewell.

You mention STP, but actually my favourite solo albums are The Ragpicker's Dream, Shangri-la and Get Lucky, not STP!  I'm really looking forward to Privateering and from the clips and the songs I've already heard, I doubt if I'll be disappointed.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
That guitar at the end made me think about "By the time I get to Phoenix" by Jimmy Webb, MK played exactly the same kind of guitar solo on that colaboration, and the vibe of the song was very similar to the one at the end of Seattle...

The end of this song is not at the same level of the rest of the song, that is precious...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
I wonder: did the people on here who prefer Mark's more recent output mostly become familiar with MK's music later, like after DS and Golden Heart?  I mean, how many have been fans from the beginning and prefer Mark's newer music?

I ask this because I was talking with a client recently who turned out to be a die-hard Bob Dylan fan.  I told him I really liked Dylan, but mostly the newer stuff, esp. Time Out of Mind and later.  He looked at me with his mouth agape like I was crazy, and said this was just because I am too young to have been there in the early days and heard those songs when they were new and fresh and current.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
No, I've been a fan for more than 30 years - just moved on, like he has done!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
No, I've been a fan for more than 30 years - just moved on, like he has done!   :)

"Just moved on" or just got old? ;)  Only joking - keep on rocking! 8)

I don't want music to be "relaxing."  If I want to relax I'll take a sleeping pill!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
I ask this because I was talking with a client recently who turned out to be a die-hard Bob Dylan fan.  I told him I really liked Dylan, but mostly the newer stuff, esp. Time Out of Mind and later.  He looked at me with his mouth agape like I was crazy, and said this was just because I am too young to have been there in the early days and heard those songs when they were new and fresh and current.

Be careful when it comes to Die-Hard-Dylanologists... some of them are quite lunatic when it comes to talking about Bob with non-believers...  ::)

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »

I don't want music to be "relaxing."  If I want to relax I'll take a sleeping pill!

I both moved on and got old...  ;)

Many DS fans just got old but didnt move on  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »

I both moved on and got old...  ;)

Many DS fans just got old but didnt move on  ;D

You got me well sussed out! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »

Be careful when it comes to Die-Hard-Dylanologists... some of them are quite lunatic when it comes to talking about Bob with non-believers...  ::)

LE

His Bobness is from other world, you should know about that

;D ;D ;D

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
I'm ok with the fact MK's moved on - in fact I have as well. The thing is he doesn't need to neglect his guitar playing, at least not completely.

After listening to the snippets for the 43561st time last night I tend to believe there will be some juicy solos on Go, Love, Blood and Water, Dream of the Drowned Submariner and on a couple of the blues songs as well.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
I wonder: did the people on here who prefer Mark's more recent output mostly become familiar with MK's music later, like after DS and Golden Heart?  I mean, how many have been fans from the beginning and prefer Mark's newer music?

I've been a fan for almost 30 years, and I love MK's old music. And his newer stuff. If I hadn't loved MK's new music, I hadn't been listening to it. MK makes whatever music he wants to make. If it's good, I listen to it. For me it's like that with all music. If i like it, I listen to it. If I don't like it, I don't listen to it. It's not like MK or any other artist ow us anytning. Just let them make the music they prefere, and then listen to it and buy their records if you like it. If I feel like listening to old rock music, I might pull out some of DS' earliest albums.

I'm glad MK doesn't make music like that anymore, because then he would be like any other tributeband who try to copy their heroes. But the two or three first (and IMO only) DS records were really great, some of the greatest albums ever made! (I like to think of DS as a funky bluesbased rock band who made three records from 78 to 80. After that, from 82 or even from the Making Movies tour, it has been MK solo with lots of different musicians, and much more pop, folk and even a bit of country music, first under the DS brand, later under the MK brand, unntil 2000, where they became a and again, but still under the MK brand). :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:41:58 PM by Mossguitar »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
I'm going to the Seattle concert and staying at a hotel on Alaskan Way which is 2 blocks from 1st Ave! If anyone knows the bar which (may have been) in Marks inspiration during the first verse, I'd love to visit and take a photo.

Actually, I could walk up 1st Ave on the way to the concert! I'm sure there will be ore than one bar on the way!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 43 queries.