Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: America - Back Pages  (Read 6865 times)

Love Expresso

Re: America - Back Pages
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Just re-read Guy's first diary entry about this recording session. I wasn't aware at first that Mark uses his Gibson 58 on this one. He has never played STP on another guitar than his Strat, hasn't he? Can't remember the first 2001 live versions, though...

LE

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Sounds great to me!!
Certainly sounds different on the Gibson.
I love the pedal steel as well.
Roll on the new album. I hope there is some
duelling between Mark & Paul Franklin.
I'll never forget them together on the 1st Hillbillies tour.

Cheers. BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
Just re-read Guy's first diary entry about this recording session. I wasn't aware at first that Mark uses his Gibson 58 on this one. He has never played STP on another guitar than his Strat, hasn't he? Can't remember the first 2001 live versions, though...

LE

Early versions on the STP tour he used his white strat ('61?) - there's a picture somewhere with him from the Boston concert with James Taylor and that's from 23rd of April.  Best sounding guitar for that song IMO.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineCamerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
Sounds great to me too!
Pennies from heaven, don't make me laugh...

Jackal

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
And Mark's solo is brimming with clich

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
Apart from one of the vocalists, who sounded a bit like a cartoon character, I loved it, especially Mark's guitar - great!   :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
Uninspired version. And Mark's solo is brimming with clich
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »
Every musician has their own style - even you do!   I mean this very kindly, because I really enjoy your guitar playing, but even I could detect the "style" of Artificial Paradise in your playing.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
 :) That's very kind of you.

No, no, I don't mean to be 'difficult'. Of course Mark has his own style, that's one of the things we like so much about him. But having played guitar for about 25 years, and having listened a lot to guitar music, I know when someone (including myself) is going through the motions. It's called finger memory. You learn and develop a catalog of licks and phrases that you can play in the dark. Some you play more often than others, and some you move on from as you develop. The problem is that it is so easy to rely on and (over)use them, that when you're feeling not particularly inspired you just rehash that catalog of licks, and that's the most boring thing to listen to, especially if you know the player very well. In the case of Mark, he does indeed have such a catalog and a very identifiable sound, so it can become very predictable at times. In my opinion that solo in STP was marked by that. But like I said, when you want Mark on your song, you want a Markawagnza, not Mark-goes-down-the-greatful-dead-jam-session-road ...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:38:08 PM by Jackal »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Yes, of course, that makes sense.   For instance on another thread today, I compared the licks on "Slow Train" from the "Slow Train Coming" album and "I think I Love you too much".   Those songs are about ten years apart, but it is obvious to me that MK retrieved those licks from his archives for the later song, which is fine by me, because I enjoy that particular bluesy style of his playing very much.  I wish he would do it a bit more!

As we all know MK has many different types of styles eg STP is nothing like Coyote, but we still recognise him immediately - just like the classical composers.   

Getting back to STP, having heard him play it so many times, I do recognise a bit of auto-pilot, but on the RAH version on the instrumental part towards the end, there is a magical interaction between him and Matt on piano, where Mark echoed perfectly Matt's phrases and it is those times I feel he is really listening and the song is becoming something else.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
Exactly! That instantaneous creativity is so precious. Improvisation will always entail a certain degree of licks, especially as a starting point, but the more the musician can create there and then, the more exciting and alive it gets. I for one have never found much satisfaction in learning a piece of music note for note, although it can be a great excercise, but I'd rather absorb the idea or 'idiom' of the music and give it my colors.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 49 queries.